iFi audio GO Bar - The Best Pocketable HiFi System, Bar None!
Apr 8, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #901 of 1,199
I've been using my GoldBar with an iPad (USB-C) and an iPhone (lightening) and an Android Pixel (USB-C). Recently, it stopped working if my Pixel (perhaps coinciding with an Android firmware upgrade). After 30 seconds it stops. I can unplug then replug, and it works for another 30 seconds. Still works perfectly with my other devices, including my desktop. Any suggestions here? I have limited Android experience, and it is a bit frustrating as I got the Pixel specifically as a cheap DAP so to speak, to save my iPhone battery. Thanks for any help.

Apr 13, 2023 at 8:59 PM Post #902 of 1,199
Got a Gold Bar in today... playing around with the settings. Sounds great with ISN H50. There's so much more depth to the sound and punch over my L&P W2. I searched around online and Headamp showed one in stock, so I clicked buy and sure enough I got one! Think I got their last unit as it now shows out of stock.

Apr 14, 2023 at 11:32 PM Post #903 of 1,199
Got a Gold Bar in today... playing around with the settings. Sounds great with ISN H50. There's so much more depth to the sound and punch over my L&P W2. I searched around online and Headamp showed one in stock, so I clicked buy and sure enough I got one! Think I got their last unit as it now shows out of stock.
Heh, similar (apparent) luck here. Mine is in the post for delivery tomorrow from Listenup.com. We’ll see if they’ve actually sent me the gold. Fingers crossed.

For anybody still looking, as of today the 14th at 8:30 pacific time, Listenup is still showing them in stock. Have at it, gentlemen.

Apr 14, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #904 of 1,199
Listenup.com came through ftw. They still show in stock.

Attachments

• IMG_1055.jpeg
    IMG_1055.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 16, 2023 at 9:50 PM Post #905 of 1,199
I’ve had my Go Bar for about a month and I’m shocked by how good it sounds. I‘ve always been a Chord guy but took a chance based on all the positive reviews. I'm pairing it with a set of CK White Andros and it sounds fantastic. It's right up there with the Chord Mojo. The Mojo is a more analytical sound and maybe has better separation, but the Gobar has a very engaging and lively presentation that is very enjoyable to listen to. I like that I don't have to charge it or use a camera connection kit on my iPad. And the bass boost is actually good. I've never used one that I like in the past. Not too crazy about the x space setting. My only real gripe is no mic passthrough for 4 pole. This unit would be a killer device for console gaming if if supported it.

Apr 16, 2023 at 10:13 PM Post #906 of 1,199
I’ve had my Go Bar for about a month and I’m shocked by how good it sounds. I‘ve always been a Chord guy but took a chance based on all the positive reviews. I'm pairing it with a set of CK White Andros and it sounds fantastic. It's right up there with the Chord Mojo. The Mojo is a more analytical sound and maybe has better separation, but the Gobar has a very engaging and lively presentation that is very enjoyable to listen to. I like that I don't have to charge it or use a camera connection kit on my iPad. And the bass boost is actually good. I've never used one that I like in the past. Not too crazy about the x space setting. My only real gripe is no mic passthrough for 4 pole. This unit would be a killer device for console gaming if if supported it.
My experience has been very similar thus far.

I’ve been listening to the Go Bar for the past week, side by side with the Mojo 2. All sessions have been with the FiR Audio NE4 Neon, using the black Atom modules. I have to say, the Go Bar does more than hold its own.

I also give the edge to the Mojo 2 with regards to separation, but the Go Bar answers back with superior staging. And while the Mojo 2 does present a more analytical sound, at least to my ears, I feel the Go Bar is perhaps the slightly more detailed listen, by a hair.

Dynamism is very, very close- perhaps the tiniest edge goes to the Mojo 2.

I much prefer the bass of the Go Bar. Bass on both devices can be eq’d via onboard settings, and to my ears, both devices needed a slight adjustment over stock sound settings in that department… however I feel the Go Bar was able to do so while more accurately retaining the timbre and texture of the bass.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I prefer the treble of the Mojo 2. While the Go Bar can occasionally get a bit bright on some tracks, the Mojo reached high while simultaneously injecting a bit of smoothness, making for an easier and inoffensive listen.

All in all, it’s very close between the devices- too close to call, in fact.

For me, the tie was broken with the arrival of a Go Bar Gold two days ago, which sports one of the inkiest backgrounds I’ve ever heard.

The pitch black background does three major things in my estimation-

-It makes for better separation than the stock Go Bar, and matches the Mojo 2… on some tracks surpassing it.

-It adds an extra layer of dynamism to the signature of the standard Go Bar, and roundly surpasses the Mojo 2 there.

-It adds air to the treble signature of the standard Go Bar, tempering the brightness. There is a crystalline quality to the upper registers that is delicate and very detailed, and doesn’t stray into the offensive, even with challenging tracks. I can’t say this is superior to how the Mojo 2 handles highs, just different. Some folks will prefer the sweetness and touch of syrup the Mojo 2 delivers, some will prefer the crystal clear highs of the Go Bar Gold.

To my ears, the Go Bar Gold is the best of the three, and the reason why Amazon is getting my Go Bar back, and someone is going to get a deal on my Mojo 2, which is now officially going on the block.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #908 of 1,199
Considering buying a Go bar and an Hiby R2II as source for it. Or would the ifi suck to much juice from the R2II? I don't want to charge every 4 hours....
Might indeed be the case...
How much mahours does the Hiby have?
My IPhone 13Pro for example is losing like 10% per hour depending on volume

Apr 18, 2023 at 6:13 AM Post #910 of 1,199
Apr 19, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #911 of 1,199
Apr 19, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #912 of 1,199
Aliexpress

Apr 19, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #914 of 1,199
one warning. once that sleeve goes on, it is not easy to remove (at least the one I received)

Apr 19, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #915 of 1,199
one warning. once that sleeve goes on, it is not easy to remove (at least the one I received)

Ugh, thanks for the heads up. Do any owners not using a case have scratching on the gold bar over time? I'm currently storing it in a Penon soft pouch, and when in use it's set on top of it. I still a bit paranoid to remove the factory film though!

Gold Bar on penon pouch.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back