Headphone amps or integrated amps or what?!
Jun 22, 2011 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

gelocks

Headphoneus Supremus
First, let me start off by saying... I hate this place!!!!
Just came in for opinions on new cans to leave my Shure's 440s at home (replacing my Grados SR60
that I broke!) and take to work the new ones and now... well... I want to keep spending what I DON'T have!!

eek.gif

Anyway, yesterday I started a new thread on another section of the site:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/559467/turntable-pre-amp-powered-monitors

wondering which way I should go when buying a cheapo turntable to play my vinyls and 7s
I have NEVER played. I figured just getting the ART USB PhonoPlus v2 Pre-amp would be
OK since I just wanted to listen to the LPs... and could also connect them (I found out here) to my
Powered Monitors... but no... now I'm thinking of:

1) getting a decent budget minded CD player also
2) getting decent budget minded headphone amps

And that's the thing... I'm not sure what to do.

Should I

1) Buy the Audio Technica AT-LP60, buy a pre-amp (if it will result in better audio),
a cheap/decent headphone amp AND buy a decent CD player (maybe Cambridge Audio Topaz CD10 or
NAD C 515BEE or something cheaper) and another headphone amp!?!?

That would leave me with: turntable + amp ... separate... CD + amp and that's it.

or should I

2) Buy the Audio Technica AT-LP60, buy a pre-amp (if it will result in better audio), buy a decent CD player
(maybe Cambridge Audio Topaz CD10 or NAD C 515BEE or something cheaper), buy an integrated amp (maybe
pairing the mentioned CD players with Cambridge Audio Topaz AM10 or NAD C 316BEE) and use the headphone
out of that amplifier?!?

or should I

3) Buy the Audio Technica AT-LP60, buy a pre-amp (if it will result in better audio), buy a mini hifi
integrated solution (such as Cambridge Audio One+ or Denon D-M38S) and use the headphone out
of that mini system...

Headphone out is more important than connecting and getting audio through my powered monitors...
If I can do it, great, if not I wont mind... but... which way should I go?!?! (created a poll too BTW)

I guess at the end of the tally I will then take MORE recommendations (i.e. which amps, good price/performance
equipment, etc. etc.)

Remember though, I'm a newbie but I also like good fidelity/quality in what I listen to (which is mostly
Rock/Punk/Metalcore/Emo and Bosa/Salsa etc,.) so which is the best option to experience music bliss
with headhphones?

could you guys help me?
L3000.gif

(I love using bold!!!)

Thanks.

Jun 22, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #2 of 28
Start off with a quality headphone amp and work from there.

Jun 22, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #3 of 28
I agree ... Another option is buying a quality headphone amp that also functions as a pre-amp (Ex: Woo Audio 2, or Decware CSP2+)

Quote:
Start off with a quality headphone amp and work from there.

Jun 22, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #4 of 28

Quote:
I agree ... Another option is buying a quality headphone amp that also functions as a pre-amp (Ex: Woo Audio 2, or Decware CSP2+)

Sure, this stack is 1580 Euros, but that figure looks very attractive in xe.com right now.

Jun 22, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #5 of 28
Hello!
Yeah... I guess I should have used bold on the word "cheap" on my first paragraph!!! lol
etysmile.gif

Those look like attractive options but come on... I'm not going to be driving Stax nor LCD-2 nor HE-500's etc. :wink:
(And quite frankly my budget does not go up that high for just amps... not including CD player, turntable, etc.)

So, come on down a bit!!! 
ok ok.. come on down A LOT!!!

biggrin.gif

Thanks!

Jun 23, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #6 of 28
OK - the NAD you originally mentioned looks like a good choice - go with that. I heard one a couple of years back and it was OK from the headphone out - not as good as my E9, but definitely usable as a solution for use with headphones, and it also sounded good hooked up to speakers.

Jun 23, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #7 of 28

Quote:
OK - the NAD you originally mentioned looks like a good choice - go with that. I heard one a couple of years back and it was OK from the headphone out - not as good as my E9, but definitely usable as a solution for use with headphones, and it also sounded good hooked up to speakers.

Wow... so is the Fiio E9 "that" good?!
Or is the NAD I posted "that" bad?! hehehe (just based on price difference!)
What did you connect to the E9? CD Player? turntable? or just an iPod/MP3 player?

Thanks.

Jun 23, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #8 of 28
In the course of reviewing two portable amps, I came to realise that neither is as good as the E9. I dont think I have heard a speaker amp with a headphone out that is the equal of the Fiio - YMMV.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/558314/review-leckerton-audio-uha-4-vs-just-audio-uha-120

Dont be fooled by the asking price of the E9 - I have owned two other dedicated headphone amps that cost hundreds more and werent half as good.

Jun 25, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #10 of 28
Why didn't anybody tell me about the Nuforce Icon HDP?!?!?!
tongue.gif

I think this little piece of hardware should work with EVERYTHING I'm looking to do...

Audio Technica AT-LP60 RCA to input RCA of Icon HDP
Cheapo CD player with Coax-out to Coax-in of Icon HDP
Netbook/PC USB to USB-in of Icon HDP
RCA-out to my powered monitors
Headphone out (most of the time...)

I've read a LOT of good things about this piece of hardware and I believe it will do its job!

What do you think?!

Thanks.

Jun 25, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #11 of 28
Well,

I have one and from a versatility perspective you cannot go wrong with it. It has all you need and more. 

You have plenty of input and output options, a great USB DAC, and amp/pre-amp so yes, it can do everything you want.

It's part of my home setup sometimes I use it as pre-amp to one of the Schiits (Asgard and Valhalla) but actually neither are "needed". All my headphones can be driven by the HDP just fine.

So, go for it, it's hard to find anything negative about the icon HDP. But lots of praise everywhere.

If that would have been my first purchase I most likely wouldn't have purchased quite a lot of my other equipment. :wink: I can only recommend it, not discovered any downsides yet. Maybe as an amp it could sound a bit "rounder" but you can always add an amp later and connect it via rca as I do to my Schiit Asgard which has power aplenty.

Enjoy,
K

Jun 25, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #12 of 28
Thanks for your input.
And you are definitely right... if I indeed go with a better/richer amp in the future,
I can do so without problems and STILL use the HDPs output for it! (right?!)

I think I'm going to bite.!

Best of all, since I will be using the Coax-out, I wont be buying a $300/$400 CD player with a great DAC
but instead a lowly DVD player I have somewhere around the house!

Thanks!

Jun 25, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #13 of 28
Yes, you can use the icon HDP as DAC and pre-amp. Instead of plugging in your headphones in the front, you connect the icon HDP via the rca out on the back to your rca in of your amp. 

The icon will function as DAC and pre-amp only, which is exactly what you would want if you use another amp. I currently use the optical in and usb in, the source selector on the front is very handy to change between sources for listening tests. It's a great little device.

Enjoy it, I know you will :wink:

Quote:
Thanks for your input.
And you are definitely right... if I indeed go with a better/richer amp in the future,
I can do so without problems and STILL use the HDPs output for it! (right?!)

I think I'm going to bite.!

Best of all, since I will be using the Coax-out, I wont be buying a $300/$400 CD player with a great DAC
but instead a lowly DVD player I have somewhere around the house!

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back