Any chance we will get a Chord Mojo 2 within a few years?
Mar 18, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #2 of 13
No one in the industry would say, but I’ll speculate. Yes if they can charge 30% more

Mar 19, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #4 of 13
even the $599 price point is too much for me, I just have always been a bit curious about it.
The Mojo is still selling well, and partners the Poly, so there is no short-term business incentive for Chord to bring out a Mojo 2.

From a technical point of view, the Mojo form factor has to balance the amount of signal processing (which generates heat, and uses up the battery charge) against the size of the case (which holds the battery, and provides the surface area to dissipate the generated heat). Rob watts cannot increase the amount of signal processing, unless he increases the size of the case, or uses the next generation of more efficient chips. All the feedback for the past two years, has been that the next generation chips show no sign of becoming available at the right price.
Overall there seems to be no short-term technical incentive to redesign the Mojo.

Maybe longer term, say 3 years, those chips will become available, and a Mojo 2 will become feasible - you never know.

Mar 19, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #5 of 13
The Mojo is still selling well, and partners the Poly, so there is no short-term business incentive for Chord to bring out a Mojo 2.

From a technical point of view, the Mojo form factor has to balance the amount of signal processing (which generates heat, and uses up the battery charge) against the size of the case (which holds the battery, and provides the surface area to dissipate the generated heat). Rob watts cannot increase the amount of signal processing, unless he increases the size of the case, or uses the next generation of more efficient chips. All the feedback for the past two years, has been that the next generation chips show no sign of becoming available at the right price.
Overall there seems to be no short-term technical incentive to redesign the Mojo.

Maybe longer term, say 3 years, those chips will become available, and a Mojo 2 will become feasible - you never know.

I wish I could get a mojo desktop version, no battery and like $100 off... lol I have no need for portable, but everyone says mojo is best entry level dac for that price range.

Mar 19, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #6 of 13
See schitt for price

Mar 19, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #8 of 13
It’s a manufacturer wit multiple threads here, it’s a value brand

Mar 19, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #9 of 13
I wish I could get a mojo desktop version, no battery and like $100 off... lol I have no need for portable, but everyone says mojo is best entry level dac for that price range.
Rob Watts has posted that he has now discovered that it is technically possible to unplug the battery, and use just the normal charger to run the Mojo. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-mojo-dac-amp-%E2%98%86%E2%98%85%E2%96%BAfaq-in-3rd-post-%E2%97%84%E2%98%85%E2%98%86.784602/page-2538#post-14750749
The Mojo was not originally designed to be operated like this, so Chord cannot officially recommend or guarantee this practice.
Nevertheless an ex-demo or second hand Mojo, that was out of warranty, could be cheap and just what you are seeking, once you have removed the battery.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back