zune sound quality question
Jan 31, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #16 of 51
I actually had a 5.5G ipod 80 and my wife has a zune 30. I took an assortment of different tracks that showcased specific sonic traits, like warm vocals, wide soundstage, etc., and put them on both players. Then I sat in a quiet room with the same Yuin PK2's and went back and forth track by track.

The zune sound was much more pleasant. Soundstage was wider. Less Fatiguing to listen to. Overall more engaging and musical presentation.

Just sold the Ipod.

Jan 31, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #18 of 51
I hate to point this out and be a-finger-pointin', but...

Quote:

Originally Posted by virtuoso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
man Zune's audio quality is awesome.. just awesome..
but its behind iPod.. and the iPod classic is behind Sony...

Quote:

Originally Posted by impressive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my sister has a zune 80 and i have iPod..
i feel iPod has an adge over zune in sound quality :p

Both of your sigs point to the same website. I can't help but wonder if you're the same person with two different accounts. I guess you could be work colleagues, but you're also the only two people here preferring the iPod sound over the Zune, so it just looks a bit suss.

"Sound quality" is subjective, unless you wish to define things in more specific terms, it's completely meaningless. Saying one has the edge over another means nothing, unless you can describe why you think so. A simple example would include what you listen to (eg. pop music with up-front vocals? classical music? rock music? dance and techno?), and why you prefer one over the other (vocals are clearer? drums are louder? etc.).

It bothers me a bit when people discuss sound without any reference to what they like, and stating things as if they were objectively proven ("x is better than y"). "Bass", "treble", "warmth", "clear", "punchy" all mean totally different things for people who listen to techno, to people who listen to classical, or people who listen to Celine Dion.

Feb 2, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #21 of 51
Quote:

It bothers me a bit when people discuss sound without any reference to what they like, and stating things as if they were objectively proven ("x is better than y"). "Bass", "treble", "warmth", "clear", "punchy" all mean totally different things for people who listen to techno, to people who listen to classical, or people who listen to Celine Dion.

I was thinking the same thing, Not to mention earphones being very different. That brings me to my gripe with many of the new players. No EQ, this just dumbfounds me why in heck would you leave out the a custom EQ
rolleyes.gif

Feb 2, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #22 of 51
No real need for EQ if the player sounds right. I thought the same thing until I got the Zune. I just accept its sound signature and listen. With my phones and amps (especially the Minibox), it doesn't really make me yearn for EQ. I have a Sony A816 too, and the EQ is fine. But just don't need it with the Zune.

Feb 2, 2008 at 9:59 AM Post #23 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt174e /img/forum/go_quote.gif
interesting.. defiantly the same person..
both post have the same typing style :p

Definitely both the same person. In another thread by someone asking for recommendations for high capacity FLASH players, both 'impressive' and 'virtuoso' recommended HD based players, LOL.
tongue.gif

Feb 2, 2008 at 11:14 AM Post #24 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Meanie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely both the same person. In another thread by someone asking for recommendations for high capacity FLASH players, both 'impressive' and 'virtuoso' recommended HD based players, LOL.
tongue.gif

and you do know that the person you quoted is the same person as well
wink.gif

Feb 2, 2008 at 12:44 PM Post #25 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by PrototypeX2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and you do know that the person you quoted is the same person as well
wink.gif

Well, I was thinking that it was, but Matt174e's signature isn't a link, like the other two. So maybe he just changed his sig to match the others for humour's sake?
I dunno.
confused.gif

They say you're never alone with a schizophrenic, LOL.

Feb 3, 2008 at 6:03 AM Post #26 of 51
They all have close to the same number of newbie posts, so yeah, either theyre best buds or the same person.

Mar 1, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #27 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No real need for EQ if the player sounds right. I thought the same thing until I got the Zune. I just accept its sound signature and listen. With my phones and amps (especially the Minibox), it doesn't really make me yearn for EQ. I have a Sony A816 too, and the EQ is fine. But just don't need it with the Zune.

the zune has no line out, correct?
does the use of an amp make any difference
confused.gif
?

Mar 1, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #28 of 51
No, no line out. Even with a dock, I believe. Amping does improve the SQ a bit, but not in a major way. Same with good phones and the Zune. Amping doesn't seem to make that much difference. So if you have good phones that are efficient, you won't need to amp the Zune. Of course, if you amp has bass boost or a crossover switch or PtoS, which the Minibox has, it can change the sound somewhat, too. And since the Zune has no EQ, that could be good in some cases.

Mar 1, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #29 of 51
I had the Zune 30 and it sounded bad compared to other daps....had the ipod touch and it sounded way better than the Zune. And all my Cowons sounded better than the Zune. I don't think the Zunes or maker of the Zunes care about the sound quality end of things....wish they did.
Never had the Zune 80...I'd like to pick one up to check it out though. I just dread installing that software on my PC...it's like pulling teeth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back