ZMF x Vibro & ZMF Blackwood Discussion Thread.
Dec 3, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #407 of 1,522

ok I am done posting pics...

Zach took some extras and sent them. I figure pics are for sharing. 

Not to mention, even though you have to pay for custom tuning he seems happy to do it. 

Dec 4, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #408 of 1,522
Nice pics ! Thoses red cups are really beautiful :D 

I hope the tuning will be like you've imagined 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #409 of 1,522
I got my upgraded ZMF Vibro/Blackwood back this morning!  Good news, Zach did a great job retuning them.  They had some pretty edgy upper mids/lower treble, but that is gone while retaining the soundstage and clarity!

He checked the microphonics that I had a problem with on the left cup, and he said microphonics were the same on both the left and right.  That is not what I am hearing on all 6 of my DHC cables and all 3 of my Norne Audio cables.  Microphonics on the left side is 10 times that of the right side.  Zach said that the wood in the cups is not matched, and that would probably be the reason for the difference in microphonics between L & R....the left is pretty bad.

So, at this point I certainly would not/could not recommend the ZMF Blackwood, especially if you hoped to use aftermarket cables.  It is very annoying not to be able to move whilst listening to these headphones.

Best to choose a different wood and get the X Vibro....mine were cherry wood with no microphonics noticed!

Buyer beware, you may end up ok, but then that you won't know until you get them!

Dec 4, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #410 of 1,522
That's unfortunate that you are experiencing that imbalance. I probably will get my blackwood in around a week so I'll see how they fare.

Dec 4, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #411 of 1,522
Originally Posted by cute /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Zach said that the wood in the cups is not matched and that would probably be the reason for the difference in microphonics between L & R.

I did not say this.  I said the wood is not "book-matched."  All the wood comes from the same boards, cut side by side.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Dec 5, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #412 of 1,522
@Tasoeur
Thanks! me too. I am excited myself and hope for it and the blackwood to keep me still for a while. 

I got my upgraded ZMF Vibro/Blackwood back this morning!  Good news, Zach did a great job retuning them.  They had some pretty edgy upper mids/lower treble, but that is gone while retaining the soundstage and clarity!

He checked the microphonics that I had a problem with on the left cup, and he said microphonics were the same on both the left and right.  That is not what I am hearing on all 6 of my DHC cables and all 3 of my Norne Audio cables.  Microphonics on the left side is 10 times that of the right side.  Zach said that the wood in the cups is not matched, and that would probably be the reason for the difference in microphonics between L & R....the left is pretty bad.

So, at this point I certainly would not/could not recommend the ZMF Blackwood, especially if you hoped to use aftermarket cables.  It is very annoying not to be able to move whilst listening to these headphones.

Best to choose a different wood and get the X Vibro....mine were cherry wood with no microphonics noticed!

Buyer beware, you may end up ok, but then that you won't know until you get them!

Im pretty sure the retuning was simple to do as upper mids/lower treble is fairly easy to tame. If this is bothersome to anyone it would be nothing to fix.

I'm sorry for your experience. Microphonics can't possibly come from the wood cups. If you had the same rewire as before then there must me something inside that is touching or something. If Zach didn't hear it when retuning your set then I don't understand and hope you guys can come to terms. 

I remember one time when I sold an amp the guy said their were noises and on my system it was dead silent with the volume cranked all the way and no music. Actually the most silent amp to date. I blame the power he was using. I ended up refunding him even though the unit was dead silent. The next buyer reported no hiss even upon asking and said they loved the way it sounded. I even sent the amp into the builder who reported no noises.

Point: I would recommend letting someone else who is unbias hear your set on their gear(I won't have my pc and will be on hiatus soon). It is an expensive item and worth the effort.

This is weird though and power can't be to blame. I know you tried different cables but it usually happens from metal parts touching or some sort of friction. I have no microphonics in mine, neither did the people at the meets hear it, or Ishchabible but I don't take a way from your experience. 

That's unfortunate that you are experiencing that imbalance. I probably will get my blackwood in around a week so I'll see how they fare.

looking forward to impressions!!! 

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #413 of 1,522
  @Tasoeur
Thanks! me too. I am excited myself and hope for it and the blackwood to keep me still for a while. 

Im pretty sure the retuning was simple to do as upper mids/lower treble is fairly easy to tame. If this is bothersome to anyone it would be nothing to fix.

I'm sorry for your experience. Microphonics can't possibly come from the wood cups. If you had the same rewire as before then there must me something inside that is touching or something. If Zach didn't hear it when retuning your set then I don't understand and hope you guys can come to terms. 

I remember one time when I sold an amp the guy said their were noises and on my system it was dead silent with the volume cranked all the way and no music. Actually the most silent amp to date. I blame the power he was using. I ended up refunding him even though the unit was dead silent. The next buyer reported no hiss even upon asking and said they loved the way it sounded. I even sent the amp into the builder who reported no noises.

Point: I would recommend letting someone else who is unbias hear your set on their gear(I won't have my pc and will be on hiatus soon). It is an expensive item and worth the effort.

This is weird though and power can't be to blame. I know you tried different cables but it usually happens from metal parts touching or some sort of friction. I have no microphonics in mine, neither did the people at the meets hear it, or Ishchabible but I don't take a way from your experience. 

looking forward to impressions!!! 

I haven't decided if the Blackwoods are worth keeping, because the microphonics that I hear is really annoying!  The way that I see it, I have a couple of options.  One option is to offer them in the FS Forum at a reduced price for quick sale.

Another option is to return them to Zach, to look inside the cup for something wrong with where the wires run from the mini xlr to the driver.  I had Zach rewire them to some wire that I sent him, when they were still the X Vibro, and I thought it was strange that he didn't reuse my wire even though that is what I requested.

I may open up the left cup myself, and do a rewire to see if that would be a fix!

Since these were an upgrade from your cherry cup X Vibro, which had no microphonics at all with any of my cables, I could send them back to Zach to have him revert them back to my cherry cups, (which he did not return to me).  At this point, I am thinking that this upgrade to Blackwood has been a total waste of time and money for me.

I could resell the Blackwood cups to someone that wants to upgrade their X Vibro.  I really don't like selling the Blackwood as is, because someone else may be faced with the same problem that I have with them!

Dec 5, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #414 of 1,522
I haven't decided if the Blackwoods are worth keeping, because the microphonics that I hear is really annoying!  The way that I see it, I have a couple of options.  One option is to offer them in the FS Forum at a reduced price for quick sale.

Another option is to return them to Zach, to look inside the cup for something wrong with where the wires run from the mini xlr to the driver.  I had Zach rewire them to some wire that I sent him, when they were still the X Vibro, and I thought it was strange that he didn't reuse my wire even though that is what I requested.

I may open up the left cup myself, and do a rewire to see if that would be a fix!

Since these were an upgrade from your cherry cup X Vibro, which had no microphonics at all with any of my cables, I could send them back to Zach to have him revert them back to my cherry cups, (which he did not return to me).  At this point, I am thinking that this upgrade to Blackwood has been a total waste of time and money for me.

I could resell the Blackwood cups to someone that wants to upgrade their X Vibro.  I really don't like selling the Blackwood as is, because someone else may be faced with the same problem that I have with them!

Thank you for giving ZMF the honor of joining the long list of highly reputable companies you've trashed this year: Oppo PM1 and PM2, Hifiman HE560, Enigmatic Audio Slant, Fostex TH500RP, Sony MDR-Z7, etc., etc. We all know you return most everything after complaining about how nothing's good enough for your magic cables. It's a uniquely manipulative trick to get free stuff and nobody's taken in by it.

Some people are never satisfied no matter what special efforts are made on their behalf, but don't keep disrespecting the rest of us with your imaginary problems. Maybe you think that's cute but nobody else enjoys it. Honestly, you're one lucky lady because if I were Zach, I'd say: No ZMF for you!!! Just move along and find another product to bash. We'll all be just fine without you.

Dec 5, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #415 of 1,522

Thank you for giving ZMF the honor of joining the long list of highly reputable companies you've trashed this year: Oppo PM1 and PM2, Hifiman HE560, Enigmatic Audio Slant, Fostex TH500RP, Sony MDR-Z7, etc., etc. We all know you return most everything after complaining about how nothing's good enough for your magic cables. It's a uniquely manipulative trick to get free stuff and nobody's taken in by it.

Some people are never satisfied no matter what special efforts are made on their behalf, but don't keep disrespecting the rest of us with your imaginary problems. Maybe you think that's cute but nobody else enjoys it. Honestly, you're one lucky lady because if I were Zach, I'd say: No ZMF for you!!! Just move along and find another product to bash. We'll all be just fine without you.

I will give you an unbelievable deal on my Blackwood, just PM me for the price!

FYI, I have the LCD 2F, second time actually.  I made the mistake of trading up for the LCD 3F and I think the LCD 2F was better, but so does Mike Mercer, he can afford to have them all because he is a reviewer.  I have the Alpha Dog, had it for a long time.  Never had the Slant! 

But why do I have to answer to you for what headphone I buy and sell, for whatever reason!  Go find someone else to bash!

Dec 5, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #416 of 1,522

All sales are final, I guess!  Tis the season to be jolly!

Hey David,

All upgrades are final once complete.  All upgrades are done at the request of the headphone owner.

I'm sorry that you are experiencing issues with your aftermarket cables on the blackwood.

Have a great holiday.

Zach

Sent from my iPhone

Dec 5, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #417 of 1,522
^ let someone else hear them on their gear with stock cables. I am pretty sure Zach is being honest about not hearing microphonics. He would have no reason to lie about it, actually given the circumstances, I am sure he sought to fix them. If they were not second hands he would have refunded them. He has alway bent over backwards for every request I have seen here. Retuning to make it brighter, darker. Fixing customer caused issues for free, offering discounts to return customers, paying for shipping labels, the whole gambit.

I have literally NEVER experienced anything like it. I feel he is actually taken advantage of.

Dec 5, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #418 of 1,522
  ^ let someone else hear them on their gear with stock cables. I am pretty sure Zach is being honest about not hearing microphonics. He would have no reason to lie about it, actually given the circumstances, I am sure he sought to fix them. If they were not second hands he would have refunded them. He has alway bent over backwards for every request I have seen here. Retuning to make it brighter, darker. Fixing customer caused issues for free, offering discounts to return customers, paying for shipping labels, the whole gambit.

I have literally NEVER experienced anything like it. I feel he is actually taken advantage of.

I never said I had a problem with the stock cable.....black rubber that you got with them when they were X Vibro!

Dec 5, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #420 of 1,522
  okay well if you are not having a problem with the stock cables on the blackwood then there is absolutely no issue with the headphones.

Right, no problem with the headphones and the stock, Canare, or whatever!  Just all of my aftermarket DHC and Norne cables, that are all fine on all three of my other headphones.  Problem solved, just use the stock cable......thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back