ZMF x Vibro & ZMF Blackwood Discussion Thread.
Nov 26, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #391 of 1,522
Just received the Teac Ha-P50 which I think is a great complement to the Vibros. Adds air and treble detail (still not shrill) and well defined power through the low to mids. More detail than straight out of iPhone or with Apogee One, which is also MFi, but sounds pretty boring in comparison. Anyone else have this DAC/amp?

Nov 26, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #392 of 1,522
That seems like a pretty ideal little package for some iems. Give those vibros some more power!

Nov 26, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #393 of 1,522
Yeah, I was looking at the Cayin or the Fiio, but really also wanted a belter DAC that was portable. I'm only using the low gain setting between 11 and 2 o'clock. Seems good for me; with base punch (Respighi Pines of Rome for instance, but also Neil Young and RHCP and EDM and lots of rock and modern rock and some Jazz). . I tried the high gain setting, but it seemed to boost the treble more and create harshness. On the ZxVs anyway. Since the iPhone sounds reasonably good as is, and this is much better, I'm a happy camper. But I'll caveat that almost everything I have is 256 or 320 Kbps MP3 and I really can't notice a big diffrence between that and CD. (On EMS modified Oppo BDP-95, quad 99 preamp, Odyssey Stratos Extreme amp and Volent Paragon VL-2 speakers).

Nov 27, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #394 of 1,522
Yeah, I was looking at the Cayin or the Fiio, but really also wanted a belter DAC that was portable. I'm only using the low gain setting between 11 and 2 o'clock. Seems good for me; with base punch (Respighi Pines of Rome for instance, but also Neil Young and RHCP and EDM and lots of rock and modern rock and some Jazz). . I tried the high gain setting, but it seemed to boost the treble more and create harshness. On the ZxVs anyway. Since the iPhone sounds reasonably good as is, and this is much better, I'm a happy camper. But I'll caveat that almost everything I have is 256 or 320 Kbps MP3 and I really can't notice a big diffrence between that and CD. (On EMS modified Oppo BDP-95, quad 99 preamp, Odyssey Stratos Extreme amp and Volent Paragon VL-2 speakers).

It sounds like just getting the cayin to match your portable dac would be the ticket. 

Happy listening!

Nov 28, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #397 of 1,522
Wait til Baby sees what she got me for Xmas .

Nov 28, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #398 of 1,522
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone ! 

If my ZxV arrives next week it will be right in time for my birthday 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #399 of 1,522
I must write this again - Vibro + Cayin C5 -> EARGASM! Seriously, this amp gives the Vibros so much musicality, that I can't stop listening. Thanks to everyone, who suggested this pairing - it's fantastic. Now I'm thinking about upgrading my player - heard already some good words about C5 + DX90. So if C5 + Vibro is great... :wink:

Nov 29, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #400 of 1,522
  I must write this again - Vibro + Cayin C5 -> EARGASM! Seriously, this amp gives the Vibros so much musicality, that I can't stop listening. Thanks to everyone, who suggested this pairing - it's fantastic. Now I'm thinking about upgrading my player - heard already some good words about C5 + DX90. So if C5 + Vibro is great... :wink:

beerchug.gif

Nov 30, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #401 of 1,522

So I asked Zach for custom tuning on this set. I wanted closer to a basshead phone with the space of the blackwood and similar balance to the vibro. It should have some of  the techs of the blackwood and some of  the sound sig of the vibro. It may have some issues because of the different wood but we will see. This will disable me from making accurate comparisons of the blackwood to the vibro so I will leave that up to others to do. This set may end up being a little too much bass for some folks( dont have them yet) but I think its crazy how these turned out and how Zach was willing to accomodate!. He didn't mind custom tuning!!!!

Happy Holidays!

Nov 30, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #403 of 1,522

So I asked Zach for custom tuning on this set. I wanted closer to a basshead phone with the space of the blackwood and similar balance to the vibro. It should have the techs of the blackwood and the sound sig of the vibro. It may have some issues because of the different wood but we will see. This will disable me from making accurate comparisons of the blackwood to the vibro so I will leave that up to others to do. This set may end up being a little too much bass for some folks( dont have them yet) but I think its crazy how these turned out and how Zach was willing to accomodate!. He didn't mind custom tuning!!!!

THAT is freaking AWESOME!! instead of posting better pictures on another post I will just update this one with pics later. 

Happy Holidays!

So, why get the Blackwood if Zach can tune the Vibro for bigger/wider soundstage?  I did the X Vibro upgrade to Blackwood mainly for a bigger/wider soundstage, probably wasted my money right?

I had to send the upgraded X Vibro/Blackwood back to Zach for retuning because of the harsh upper mids, lower treble.  Should have just had the X Vibro tuned for more space/wide soundstage.  I'm supposed to get the Blackwood, retuned, back this week....it will be interesting just how satisfied I will be! 

I also had a problem with microphonics on the left ear cup, on the Blackwood???

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #404 of 1,522

So I asked Zach for custom tuning on this set. I wanted closer to a basshead phone with the space of the blackwood and similar balance to the vibro. It should have the techs of the blackwood and the sound sig of the vibro. It may have some issues because of the different wood but we will see. This will disable me from making accurate comparisons of the blackwood to the vibro so I will leave that up to others to do. This set may end up being a little too much bass for some folks( dont have them yet) but I think its crazy how these turned out and how Zach was willing to accomodate!. He didn't mind custom tuning!!!!

THAT is freaking AWESOME!! instead of posting better pictures on another post I will just update this one with pics later. 

Happy Holidays!

So, why get the Blackwood if Zach can tune the Vibro for bigger/wider soundstage?  I did the X Vibro upgrade to Blackwood mainly for a bigger/wider soundstage, probably wasted my money right?

I had to send the upgraded X Vibro/Blackwood back to Zach for retuning because of the harsh upper mids, lower treble.  Should have just had the X Vibro tuned for more space/wide soundstage.  I'm supposed to get the Blackwood, retuned, back this week....it will be interesting just how satisfied I will be! 

I also had a problem with microphonics on the left ear cup, on the Blackwood???

I am glad Zach was willing to fix your problems.  

Let me mention a few points:

1. Wider soundstage, better imaging, more speed, tighter bass - those things alone make it worthy of being called an upgrade. 
  2. My custom tuning that I had to pay extra for is also considered an upgrade.
  3. The blackwood is also a more expensive wood and provides a different acoustic quality because it is harder.
  4. If you feel the blackwood has harsher treble(which I actually disagree with and find it smoother in texture) then it doesn't quantify a waste of money. Hard and harsh mean too different things to me. Hard means solid and pervasive/distracting or omnipresent but with focus. Harsh in my opinion means abrasive, gritty, hashy, and/or peaky. 
  5. You are paying for an upgrade in technicalities and wood, you may or may not agree with the balance but he is willing to customize. Being an early adopter is never without risk. 

I personally find it worth more than what I payed to have the blackwood tuned to my liking. But I like it and want to keep both, yet even so a vibro with increased techs may not be best for all of my desires and having two for me personally isn't hard to justify when I reflect on their sound signatures. My custom tuning has more bass than both(or that is atleast what I asked for). I waste too much money here by buying and selling at my leisure. But that leisure will determine which one stays in the end. Until I get my red vibro the blackwood will be my favorite closed back so far. 

just a thought: I think the website using the word smooth is in reference to texture. Even though the he560 has a harder treble than the Vibro, I would call the he560 having a more smooth and clean treble. Maybe the word clean could be applied there instead but that is what it means. It doesn't mean a whole lot darker. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back