Zhalou D2.5 which model should I get?
Jan 20, 2007 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Cid

100+ Head-Fier
I'm really interested in the Zhalou D2.5, but I'm really confused at which model I should get the D2.5A or the D2.5C. My headphones are HD595's and I'll be getting some AT's later in the year. I emailed the guys there and they said I should go for the the D2.5C, but I'm guessing they would say that considering it's more expensive.
rolleyes.gif

What do you guys think?

Jan 21, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #2 of 9
Aaaaagh that question will kill you!!

Just pick one and go with it cos its a matter of taste really AFAIK. I got the 2.5C because that CS chip is similar to the one in my eastsound CDP and I like the sound signature from that.

Its worth getting the headphone amp upgrade when you're buying $44 extra.

Fran

Jan 21, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sadly i dont think with 2.5 you can swap out DAC boards, D2.0 has this advantage

I think you can in 2.5, but who sells the boards?

Jan 21, 2007 at 12:24 PM Post #8 of 9
Yes, its the discrete headphone amp - but of course its only worth getting if you are going to use the headphone amp bit of it - a lot of people here use the zhaolu as a DAC only and never use the headphone amp bit.

I can't comment on the differences re AD vs CS, but I thought I remembered reading it the other way around, ir the AD is more warmer and smoother and the CS is more crisp. Ah I just can't remember now...... you might have to search. But whether its worth another $60 or whatever... I just don't know. I don't know how many people here have heard both, but I can't ever remember anyone saying "ugh, the AD chip is crap" so while the presentation might differ a bit, it seems that thats all your $60 is buying you if you go for the CS version.

As far as I'm aware you can't change the DAC board in the 2.5 the way you could in the 2.0.

Fran

Jan 21, 2007 at 1:03 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by fran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as I'm aware you can't change the DAC board in the 2.5 the way you could in the 2.0.

In the 2.5 it requires getting rid of a few screws and unplugging a few cables.
Then you can take out the DAC board.
After that you can put in the new DAC board, fasten it and attach the cables.
It is really easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back