Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread
May 30, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #2,176 of 6,090
  Came across this amazing talented lady. Her violin gives me chills, I can swear she's with me here in my living room performing only for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHjpOzsQ9YI&index=3&list=PL0805FB61D7503BC2

Yeah I discovered her songs maybe a week ago and I enjoy most of them really. This one is probably currently my favorite (even though I didn't like it that much at first):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FYFSNXAWNA

May 30, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #2,177 of 6,090
  So do you like them more than Basso so far?  You spent a lot of time deciding which one to get since the Basso died; hope you're happy :)

Yes I do. I'm not a technical sort of person when it comes to audio, so I can't go into finer nuances of the sound, but since they are more focused on treble/mids rather than bass, vocals and instruments sound really nice. My biggest surprises are the size (They make the Bassos look huge) and the bass. I was expecting the bass to be completely flat and whilst it's not as bassy as the Bassos, I feel like the bass quality is better. I'm really enjoying listening to kpop on them since a lot of the songs I listen to have female vocals and instruments like saxophones and pianos.

Just wish I had something better with lower impedance IEMs than my Xonar DG for my PC. It is convenient though; I plug my headphones + mic into the green and pink jacks on the back and IEMs in the front 

May 30, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #2,178 of 6,090

Just ran into Tyll Hertsens at T.H.E Headphone show in Newport. Had him listen to both pairs of my Tenores starting with the more bassy pair. He liked it a lot, but said there was a bit too much bass. So I gave him the less bassy pair. He noted a big difference between them, "a lot less bass and more etched" he said.

With that big of a difference, he said there's no chance for review. How can he recommend it with that kind of variance?

Interesting. Checked out the RE400 and 600 as well. Heading to Noble.

You bastahd! haha :p

Just ran into Tyll Hertsens at T.H.E Headphone show in Newport. Had him listen to both pairs of my Tenores starting with the more bassy pair. He liked it a lot, but said there was a bit too much bass. So I gave him the less bassy pair. He noted a big difference between them, "a lot less bass and more etched" he said.

With that big of a difference, he said there's no chance for review. How can he recommend it with that kind of variance?

Interesting. Checked out the RE400 and 600 as well. Heading to Noble.

Such a shame about the product variance we are finding but explains why there are occasional impressions that are just so different from some.

Not to keep bring this up, and I do completely believe gnarlsagan is hearing the differences he reports, but what are we looking at for statistics here?

How many total different sounding tenores are there? It seems like most people are finding them great. Is it possible he had a fluke experience? Or maybe as I was saying the source has different sounding sets for whatever reason? Just curious. I wish my dang sets would arrive already so I can test them. I think that would say at least something. If I get four good pairs from one seller and gnarl got a good pair from the same seller, and three other people got good pairs from the same seller... Then I would honestly start to think something is up. But if gnarl has three or four sets and one sounds reference, then that is three faulty ones. Has anyone else heard more than one pair be different from each other?

My liking my pair is just as valid as someone not liking their pair, but in terms of manufacturing defects, I think we need to see more data... Where the hell is rin? :p

May 30, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #2,179 of 6,090
@ luisdent-
I bought 3 pair from amazon.jp but not at the same time (from amazon themselves, no market resellers) and 2 sound more bassy and 1 sounds like the ER-4s with better bass presence- basically what you describe hearing.

Eke is borrowing 1 of my more bassy sets and I took to eq'ing the other today. Looks like it's about 3 to 4db's more overall bass quantity. I eq'd down 3db's at 60hz with a Q of .4 and it started sounding a lot closer to the less bassy set.

May 30, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #2,180 of 6,090
@ luisdent-
I bought 3 pair from amazon.jp but not at the same time (from amazon themselves, no market resellers) and 2 sound more bassy and 1 sounds like the ER-4s with better bass presence- basically what you describe hearing.

Eke is borrowing 1 of my more bassy sets and I took to eq'ing the other today. Looks like it's about 3 to 4db's more overall bass quantity. I eq'd down 3db's at 60hz with a Q of .4 and it started sounding a lot closer to the less bassy set.

And what about burn in with yours? Are they are fairly "burnt" in? :) What is your take on the reason behind the differences?

May 30, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #2,181 of 6,090
And what about burn in with yours? Are they are fairly "burnt" in? :) What is your take on the reason behind the differences?

I guess it depends on what fairly means!

I'm not really sure. Maybe they are not strict on their driver selection or maybe it's something internal around the vent? IDK. This is why I'd happily pay a lot more for a more consistent manufacturing process with possibly higher end aesthetics.

May 30, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #2,182 of 6,090

How many total different sounding tenores are there? It seems like most people are finding them FRICKIN' great.

Ftfy 
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #2,186 of 6,090

I prefer that as well for perfect response, but deep for me doesn't introduce anything at all into the sound. It is almost identical to shallow "if" the pressure is equal. And I'm not talking about forcing er4s depths. Just pushing it in to where it sort of hits a dead end and then getting it comfortable at that depth.

I tried the partial deep to create a tight seal by pushing it in about 1/5 inside the canal.  It creates more stage, pushes the highs forward.

May 30, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #2,187 of 6,090
  Guyz, I don't have the bassy version, I'm giving it another go on my Fiio E17 now.  I was using my Objective combo which resulted in my angry review.  What source are yall usin?

I'm loving them the most on the Colorfly C3 + C&C BH combo (with LF and SF switched ON). Rather stellar actually.

They still sound very good, but not as engaging to me, off of my Laptop -> HifimeDIY DAC --> Fiio E12(v1). This is somewhat expected though, because I have found that the E12 works best for me with open or hard to drive cans.

And straight off of my Clip Zip, they also sound very good, but nothing like out of the C3/BH combo.

So to me, the Tenores are quite source dependent.

May 30, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #2,188 of 6,090
Oh oh, this is not good. As I was listening, my left driver suddenly got much quieter than my right driver - I'd say about half the volume. The left driver has exhibited a bit of driver flex since I got them, but I wasn't worried about that. Until now. I had iems in the past where the driver would go completely silent only to come back to life again after leaving them for a while. But even if the left driver of my tenores comes back to life, I'll be concerned about how long it will take to die completely. Major bummer!

Gonna let them rest for a bit now...

May 30, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #2,189 of 6,090
Oh oh, this is not good. As I was listening, my left driver suddenly got much quieter than my right driver - I'd say about half the volume. The left driver has exhibited a bit of driver flex since I got them, but I wasn't worried about that. Until now. I had iems in the past where the driver would go completely silent only to come back to life again after leaving them for a while. But even if the left driver of my tenores comes back to life, I'll be concerned about how long it will take to die completely. Major bummer!

How long had you been listening? Gnarlsagan had this same problem on a pair. We believe it's caused from driver back pressure not being relieved.

May 30, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #2,190 of 6,090

Yeah had that same issue. What's your source? Not that I think it matters, I just want to rule out all possible causes. My left driver only got worse. It would be fine for a minute or two if I gave them a break, but that good sound would last for less and less time after a while.

Also luisdent, I don't think the sound differences are black and white, like one Tenore is bassy and the other is reference. It's a sliding scale of bass and treble quantities, with some sets falling magically onto the reference side of things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back