Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread
May 29, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #2,056 of 6,090
Besides the normal tip rolling, I would also play around with insertion angles. Unfortunately for my ears, the best sound quality comes out when the earphones are placed at a relatively uncomfortable angle (not unbearable, but still not as comfortable as they can be). I'm thinking that this magic angle for me is where the bore is least obstructed by my inner ear canal.

I angle mine up a bit as well, as seen in my previous photos. For me, the key is keeping them as shallow as possible,while still being sealed well. I reccomend people start pushing them in until they're just far enough to not fall out. Then move them in slowly as you listen for a minute at a time. You should find a sweet spot where they sound most reference.

Once you have that spot, i usually push them in to that depth and then lift the earphones in a way that lets air pressure equalize again. Then within a minute everything is perfect. They still sound 90% if i just stick them in, but sometime it takes longer to equalize if i don't do it myself. But it usually does equalize on its own just much slower...

May 29, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #2,057 of 6,090
Are u a deepseaDiver? 
tongue_smile.gif

May 29, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #2,058 of 6,090
  I've not seen anyone trash the Tenores and call them "unworthy" because they don't compete with $500+ IEMs, so this seems unnecessarily defensive. What I think is being trashed is the massive hype, not the earphones. Considering this, it's actually a good thing to put things into healthy perspective: These are great earphones, amazing for the price, but they shouldn't be expected to beat $500 IEMs, even if some might prefer them over their more expensive IEMs. The way people are carrying on, I can quite easily see someone ordering these and being disappointed that they don't beat their $1000 CIEMs because of hype levels. 

Preference is not an indicator of quality. I prefer my Koss Porta Pros to some of my more higher-end headphones for general use for the reason they AREN'T super-revealing, detail monsters. I don't want to hear a very accurate and detailed portrayal of compression artifacts in most online audio and video. I don't want to have my ears bleeding as I scrub through dialogue all day. I love them, but I don't claim that they're better than my Mikros or MS-1s, for example. 

Also, tips and burn-in? Defective units? What does that have to do with anything? These issues pertain to almost all IEMs. 

The way I see it, Ostry was and to some extent it still have massive hype. I don't know and I don't care if those are up there, but I see you owning and praising and even hyping Ostryes on many topics and than coming here and tell us that Tenores has been hyped too much. Are you bothered that most of the ppl owning both like the Tenores better?
And yeah, when you get a new set and start to compare to what you have or had, sets that have been burned in, that you found best tips and all and out of the box you say that this new toy is not that good as the hype is it does have to do with common sense.
evil_smiley.gif

May 29, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #2,059 of 6,090
Oh, please do quote me where I said the Ostry beats much more expensive IEMs, or where I called them endgame or the best things I've ever heard? That I intend on selling everything else off because they're so incredible?

I've posted in two or three thread about really enjoying bass and vocals and acknowledging something off in the treble and that the cable is irritating. That's your idea of excessive hype?

Like I say, unnecessarily and just plain oddly defensive around here.

May 29, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #2,060 of 6,090
Oh snap, you didn't seemed to be so pissed when the same person who called tenores endgame called ostryes aswell. You got pissed only when he let us know that he likes the tenores over the ostry.
I'm out of this.

May 29, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #2,061 of 6,090
Any of you have Ultimate Ears Silicone tips you can share with me?  I lost all mines.  
frown.gif
  I'm looking for Large, PM me if you are not using as I want to try it and let you guys know if it helps with the sound.

May 29, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #2,062 of 6,090
Took it off the microwave, n Eros Ramazotti sounds fabulously clean:)

May 29, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #2,063 of 6,090
I'll say my BURNED IN dm2 is on par with the tenore, but with a completely different tuning and sound signature. The tenore is better in terms of clarity, treble and detail, and has a wider soundstage and isolates, but for live and acoustic music the BURNED IN dm2 is better. The dm2 has more forward mids which I like more. The mid bass is more present and still without the mid bass bloat. I emphasize BURNED IN because right out of the box the high mids and treble is borderline awful. They need a good 50-100 hours of burn in and the treble becomes much more refined.

The tenore is like listening to a great stereo. They are clean and clear, and is beautifully portrayed sound that you could listen to for hours. The dm2 is like having the band playing right in front of you. They are aggressive and direct, while still giving an out of the head sound. Neither are without flaws. It's a toss up between the two because they are both good in different ways.

Hey man ..took yr suggestions ..wanted to get Tenore but too bad eBay and Amazon seller don't ship to my place...mmmmmm

May 29, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #2,064 of 6,090
If you find the Tenore to have more bass and less mid emphasis than the GR07 then you got a "bassy" Tenore. You've described exactly what I've heard in one of my previous pairs. Too smooth, recessed mids etc. It's a shame that there isn't more consistency between sets, but a good set that graphs like what was posted earlier in the thread is not what you heard. The Tenore should sound very similar to the ER4S with a bit more bass. I'd return your pair if at all possible. Of course it's up to you if you'd like to try buying again. There does seem to be some risk involved.

Would you mind further comparing the GR07 to the two latest Tenores that you bought? In particular, how does the relative amounts of sub-bass, mid-bass, lower & upper midrange & treble, as well as the overall tonality, for each Tenore compare to the GR07?

I like the GR07, but I'm looking for something a little less bright, with smoother treble & a slightly more forward midrange.

May 29, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #2,065 of 6,090
What's the best place to buy a non-defective Tenore from, for shipping to the USA?

I'm a bit worried by the reports of quality variability.

Thanks.

May 29, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #2,066 of 6,090
its not killing one iem for sure and I'm not selling those:wink:

And what would that be?  My guess is something much more expensive.

May 29, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #2,068 of 6,090

Would you mind further comparing the GR07 to the two latest Tenores that you bought? In particular, how does the relative amounts of sub-bass, mid-bass, lower & upper midrange & treble, as well as the overall tonality, for each Tenore compare to the GR07?

I like the GR07, but I'm looking for something a little less bright, with smoother treble & a slightly more forward midrange.

Treble: GR07 MK2 is brighter than Tenore.  Tenore treble is not as harsh as GR07 MK2.

Mids: For vocals, the Tenore is better than GR07 MK2.  Female vocals sound like they are in the room singing to you, airy and buttery; gives me chills. 

Bass: Tenore has more bass than GR07 MK2.  Tenore bass hits hard; punchy.

Detail: GR07 MK2 has more detail than Tenore.

Efficiency: GR07 MK2 is more efficient than Tenore.

GR07 MK2 sounds boring compared to Tenore, which is more musical.

May 29, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #2,069 of 6,090
  What's the best place to buy a non-defective Tenore from, for shipping to the USA?

I'm a bit worried by the reports of quality variability.

Thanks.

Haven't heard any defective ones from this ebay seller.  Gnarlsagan said he got a good one from them:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZERO-AUDIO-Inner-Ear-Stereo-Headphones-CARBO-TENORE-ZH-DX200-CT-/251515463227

That being said, I'm still skeptical about defective Tenores.  Amazon sellers are a few dollars cheaper and there are many of them.

I wonder whether the variations will change after burn-in.  Gnarlsagan, can you burn in all of yours and see whether they all end up with the same sound sig?

May 29, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #2,070 of 6,090
Treble: GR07 MK2 is brighter than Tenore.  Tenore treble is not as harsh as GR07 MK2.
Agreed.

Mids: For vocals, the Tenore is better than GR07 MK2.  Female vocals sound like they are in the room singing to you, airy and buttery; gives me chills. 
Agreed.

Bass: Tenore has more bass than GR07 MK2.  Tenore bass hits hard; punchy.
I find the gr07 had more "bass" and maybe mid bass, but the tenore has more level bass overall and stays level into the lowest sub bass, which means there is less masking from unevenness and therefore you hear all the bass better and it slams better when needed. Mid bass can't slam. That's where bass muddiness comes from. I'm not calling the gr07 muddy, no no, just not as smooth and level as the tenore. And my pair doesn't have any noticeable amount more of bass..

Detail: GR07 MK2 has more detail than Tenore.
Disagree. :-o It has more peaky treble, which some might hear as bringing details up, but it is not more "detailed" just more bright in areas. The tenore pulls more details in every part of the spectrum. That might make it sound smoother and less crisp from having less brightness, but no one area has any masked details...

Efficiency: GR07 MK2 is more efficient than Tenore.
Agreed,

GR07 MK2 sounds boring compared to Tenore, which is more musical.
Don't know if i'd call it boring, but definitely not as involving and believable. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back