Yulong A28
Jan 28, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #31 of 252
  The A28 sound is quite similar to the DA8.  It is not any more harsh nor sibilant.  It's more dynamic, a bit more oomph to the sound.  
I just tried the LCD2's with the A28.  Sounds good as well, a bit more forward than with the V200, but also less bassy.  

It should pair well with my LCD3's then.  I will be running it balanced.  The power of the A28 shoud make things sing...

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #33 of 252
Curious how this matches with the HD800 compared to the CMA800R. Not only is this cheaper, but it comes with full balanced functionality to boot. It's a shame you need to spend double just to get balanced functionality with the Questyle. The A28 puts out 700mW into 300ohms compared to the dual mono Questyle which gives out 710mW at 300ohms. The A28 is plenty powerful.

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #34 of 252
  The A28 sound is quite similar to the DA8.  It is not any more harsh nor sibilant.  It's more dynamic, a bit more oomph to the sound.  
I just tried the LCD2's with the A28.  Sounds good as well, a bit more forward than with the V200, but also less bassy.  

I believe you said you were also listening to these in single ended configuration. In Project86's original review of the A18, there was a difference between the single ended and "balanced" output in the sound. "More linear" for the SE, and "warmer, more three dimensional" for XLR. I wonder if the same will hold true for the A28. Not to mention that at the A28 is putting out 2.5 times the power to the LCD-2 in balanced compared to SE. Can't wait for more impressions.

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #35 of 252

I believe you said you were also listening to these in single ended configuration. In Project86's original review of the A18, there was a difference between the single ended and "balanced" output in the sound. "More linear" for the SE, and "warmer, more three dimensional" for XLR. I wonder if the same will hold true for the A28. Not to mention that at the A28 is putting out 2.5 times the power to the LCD-2 in balanced compared to SE. Can't wait for more impressions.

Yes I expect there to be a difference between the single and balanced outputs.  
Yulong himself says that the performance will be better on the A28 using the balanced inputs and output.
I still need a balanced cable  :frowning2:

Jan 29, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #36 of 252

That power should really go well with planars.  One of the main draws of this amp for me.  Can't wait.

Jan 29, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #37 of 252
After running solidly for 6 hours, the A28 is still cool as a cucumber! In fact, the DA8 feels a few degrees warmer than the A28. I think it's perfectly safe to put the A28 under the DA8, and I just might do the same too.

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #41 of 252
  Any updates from the lucky few who have their A28's purring away?

I managed to borrow a balanced cable today. 
The SE and balanced outputs do sound slightly different, with the balanced out being less warm and more clinical sounding, to my ears.

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #43 of 252
  I managed to borrow a balanced cable today. 
The SE and balanced outputs do sound slightly different, with the balanced out being less warm and more clinical sounding, to my ears.

That might make for a good synergy with my LCD's.  Thanks for the update.

So, opposite to the findings from Project86 for the A18. Interesting.

I don't think Yulong was looking to make any consistency in this design to the A18 in that sense.  At least it has not been mentioned on erj.

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #44 of 252
And to rule out the difference being caused by cables :wink:  :

Users who are viewing this thread

Back