You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2!
Dec 15, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #3,421 of 6,112
del
L3000.gif

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #3,423 of 6,112
Dec 15, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #3,424 of 6,112
  I cannot imagine anything beating the UE6000 for $50 (eBay). My roommate has a pair of QC15s so I could compare them for you. The amp I ordered has not arrived yet (Dragonfly), but I have my desktop setup to compare with. Here's the link: http://www.head-fi.org/t/646595/logitech-ue6000/285#post_11130521

I do notice a definite difference between all the combinations, which is just so strange.

By all accounts, the Superlux HD 668B punches far above its price. I wonder how it compares.

With NC off, the UE6000 should definitely sound better than the QC15, which can only be used with NC on. So the real comparison would be with both headphones' NC on. Just know that if you don't have normal headphone cables to connect to the QC15, you won't reach its potential using the proprietary stock cables with their added electronics. You should also make sure all batteries (used for NC) are fully charged and of the same brand and type.

It's not strange at all for there to be differences on an NC headphone that lets you use them without NC. Without NC, it's more like a normal headphone, so it would usually sound best with an amp; with NC, there are too many things going on in the circuitry, and it has its own sort of built-in amp, so if you add another amp, it could get screwy.

It would also be interesting for you to connect the QC15 to your desktop system to see how it differs. If you ever do that, I would be interested in seeing the same type of amp/no amp / NC/no NC comparison you did before.

yeah I know about the part where the electronics interfere with the sound. One reason why I never bought noise cancelling. The ATH-M40x will do just fine, though it costs a little more than $50. Selling the QC15 will give u more than enough money for it.

Nah, if I sold the QC15, I would sell other things too and just upgrade to the Focal Spirit Professional ($349), which is a few classes above most cheaper headphones and even many more expensive ones.

Dec 15, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #3,425 of 6,112

I have never tried the Superlux, but it looks intriguing. They aren't portable (or transportable) though, so I wouldn't consider them. I didn't realize the cable made a difference on the QC15. The UE6000 cable has a remote on it too. I haven't ordered my replacement cable yet, but I'll try to find one among my friends. I'm just really fascinated by the fact that I can get four different types of sound from one headphone. Yeah, I'll see if I can get some extended time with a QC15. The only thing I really remember about them is superior NC and superior comfort.

I would have bought the Focals if I had the cash, but everyone kept saying the UE6000 is such a bargain etc. etc. The Spirit One seem to be worth a look; apparently they sorted out the manufacturing issues.

YKAAW you're on head-fi right before your test, because you don't feel like reviewing.

Dec 15, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #3,426 of 6,112

I didn't realize the cable made a difference on the QC15.

Oh, I thought you saw my various posts about it. The audio only stock cable (which still has a HI-LO switch and proprietary connector) sounds better than the remote stock cable, but the Belkin cable (which is a thick and heavy but basic 3.5mm-to-3.5mm cable with male connectors on both ends and no extra electronics on it at all) sounds much, much better than both of them.

The UE6000 cable has a remote on it too. I haven't ordered my replacement cable yet, but I'll try to find one among my friends.

The next headphone cable I'm getting is the V-MODA Audio Only Cable, since it's only twelve bucks and is thin and light, yet Kevlar reinforced and can withstand over a million bends.

I'm just really fascinated by the fact that I can get four different types of sound from one headphone.

I feel the same way, based on my own experiments.

Yeah, I'll see if I can get some extended time with a QC15.

Looking forward to your impressions.

The only thing I really remember about them is superior NC and superior comfort.

Yep, those are the only two categories where they have a clear advantage over most of the competition.

I would have bought the Focals if I had the cash, but everyone kept saying the UE6000 is such a bargain etc. etc. The Spirit One seem to be worth a look; apparently they sorted out the manufacturing issues.

You mean the comfort and build quality issues of the FSP? I would guess they still have the same type of problems.

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #3,427 of 6,112

I was going to borrow my friends V-Moda cable. He has a pair of M-100s.

Now I remember the QC-15 having a weird interconnect; I have no idea if I can get a regular cable to go in.

I think it was just the build issues on the Spirit One (It was Focal's first headphone). I don't believe the Professional and Classic had many if any problems.

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #3,428 of 6,112
  I was going to borrow my friends V-Moda cable. He has a pair of M-100s.

Now I remember the QC-15 having a weird interconnect; I have no idea if I can get a regular cable to go in.

I think it was just the build issues on the Spirit One (It was Focal's first headphone). I don't believe the Professional and Classic had many if any problems.

The M-100 comes with these cables:

Kevlar reinforced SpeakEasy Microphone control cable, Kevlar reinforced SharePlay audio cable

The SharePlay cable may sound better than the SpeakEasy cable, so if possible, avoid remote cables altogether.

As long as the connector is straight and 3.5mm male, it should go in. My Belkin cable is much thicker and heavier than most headphone cables (I think it was originally meant to be used with car stereos or something), so it falls out without my DIY twist tie support system. Just remember that the QC15 will probably reverse the channels with an aftermarket cable.

No, the FSP has major build quality and comfort issues. The ear pads are too small for most people, many people's headbands cracked, etc.

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #3,430 of 6,112
  The Professional? I thought only the One had problems.

Also, yeah I'm aware about the V-Moda cables.

P.S. Just noticed your avatar is the holy grail from F/Zero lol

Yes, the Professional. That's what I just said.

If you read the product page and the impressions thread, countless people had serious problems with the FSP in terms of comfort and build quality.

You're the first person in this thread who realized that.
biggrin.gif

Click the link in my signature for a cringe-worthy image macro I made.

Dec 16, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #3,432 of 6,112
Get a smartphone compatible USB DAC then. But to my ears, all phones sound horrible anyway. My current one is too narrow in soundstage and is too warm.

Dec 16, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #3,435 of 6,112
Yup, phones like the HTC One and Sony Xperia Z3 sound great, especially if you have good source material and some tweaks like an EQ or Viper4Android etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back