You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2!
Dec 3, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #3,301 of 6,113
10$ for internet, and i get 5MBps download speed at top, but this is throttled by computer usage, and disk already being used...

YKYAA when you think that a thicker cable would mean a better sound, and you buy a new cable. to fiind that it is the same sound...

Thicker cable = lower resistance = less damping issue = better sound. The material used also counts. Silver will generally have lower resistance. Copper comes second. Same goes to conductivity.

Dec 3, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #3,302 of 6,113
Thicker cable = lower resistance = less damping issue = better sound. The material used also counts. Silver will generally have lower resistance. Copper comes second. Same goes to conductivity.

i am using a 3 times as thick cooper wire, and i am not able to detect any changes in SQ... With speakers.. but, i got it anyways, because the stock was too thin, and seemed frail..

YKYAAW you actually make ogg lvl10 for portability, instead of mp3 320.

Dec 3, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #3,303 of 6,113
And you know that if anyone will take on a custom request for how you want you sound / speakers specced outside of the standard upgrade package it'll be them.
Heck, if you paid them enough they'd probably hire you a DSP engineer for a 'custom soundfield'.

The composer Lord Berners had a clavichord built into his Rolls-Royce, so he could play while his chauffeur drove.

You learn something new every day!

YKYAA when you think that a thicker cable would mean a better sound, and you buy a new cable. to fiind that it is the same sound...

It can go both ways, and depends on other factors too.

YKYAAW you know a former Sennheiser engineer who designs some of the best audio cables.

The replacement of the standard xlr connector with our new shell eliminated xlr connector dramatically improves the performance of our cables. Eliminating the high resistance a thick walled connector shells impose on the current flow is a proven factor in purifying the signal yielding a cleaner, clearer performance significantly improving the depth and sound-stage presentation.

All stock power cables and the expensive upgrade cables generally available which we tested, incorporate over-designed connectors with thick dielectric combined with both heavy or minimum shielding and thick-wall conductive components which cause even more resistance to the signal. Each of these incrementally degrade performance taking away the purity of the power signal doing the exact opposite of what a properly designed power cable should do.

When looking for a properly designed power or interconnect cable, one should pay very close attention to how the cable looks. A big thick cable (especially a power cable) is the cable to avoid. Big thick cables incorporate a large amount of non-conductive material (dielectric) which absorb and pollute the music because this raises the resistance of the power signal. Connector which may look great (like jewelry) contain much more conductive and non-conductive surface area than necessary which again affect the signal, slowing it down and polluting the characteristics of the music. Look for cables with a simple design with the least amount of non-conductive material used in the construction of the cable and connector and ones where the conductive and non conductive surfaces of the cable and connectors have been treated to maximize the conductivity of the material.

Interconnects follow the same design rule as power cables - if the outer covering of the cable (dielectric) is thicker than a piece of paper then your getting "grunge" and "muddy" sound and this will be noticeable especially when listening with High-End Headphones.

Both our custom Alchem and Wood Shell xlr connector are sonically equivalent and again are dramatically better than any other connector available as they offers a very noticeable increase in purity, transparency and definition in the bass, mid-range and treble due to the elimination of the large standard thick-walled shells which adds considerable resistance to the signal which shows up in the music as distortion. ( especially Furutech, Oyaide etc)

Also, silver isn't always better. I know a guy who hated a stock silver headphone cable and designed his own copper cable.

YKYAAW you decide to stop posting in the Sound Science section because too many people there insist that practically everything under the sun sounds the same, especially when it comes to cables, and even more especially when it comes to things they haven't even listened to themselves.

Dec 3, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #3,304 of 6,113

Just popping out of the blue, thought you might like this video, enjoy!

Dec 3, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #3,305 of 6,113
^daheck how can people in the sound science forum insist that cables all sound the same (except for digital transport cables)? Cables that transport analogue signals will always have some differences sonically, common sense dictates

Dec 3, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #3,306 of 6,113
^daheck how can people in the sound science forum insist that cables all sound the same (except for digital transport cables)? Cables that transport analogue signals will always have some differences sonically, common sense dictates

lol. Literally all they say is "science and the laws of physics prove they can't possibly sound different!" ...then conveniently forget to provide any sort of proof.

YKYAAW you plan on buying tons of audio cables, ranging from a few bucks to five figures each, then test them extensively, just to spite the skeptics.

Dec 3, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #3,307 of 6,113
^yess I would love to do that. Gather all the cables in the world and prove the skeptics wrong.

Dec 3, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #3,308 of 6,113
^yess I would love to do that. Gather all the cables in the world and prove the skeptics wrong.

Except I would also do it with digital cables, complete with every type of measurement I can think of. (Including measuring the analog sound waves from the headphones themselves, making recordings of a component used with different cables, etc.)

Dec 3, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #3,309 of 6,113

All they want is for people to prove them wrong, with proper double blind testing.

So go ahead man

Dec 3, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #3,310 of 6,113
All they want is for people to prove them wrong, with proper double blind testing.

So go ahead man

Since it would involve a six to seven figure investment (buying all the cables and measuring equipment, hiring experts to help conduct the experiment properly, etc.), I'll do it so no one else here has to.
cool.gif

Dec 3, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #3,311 of 6,113
After u prove the sound science people wrong, u should make a meme with those shades and caption it as 'DEAL WITH IT'

Dec 3, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #3,312 of 6,113
Since it would involve a six to seven figure investment (buying all the cables and measuring equipment, hiring experts to help conduct the experiment properly, etc.), I'll do it so no one else here has to. :cool:

You can start off with 2 cables first so startup budget shouldn't leave you on an instant noodle diet.

Some cables are touted to have a "night and day" effect on the sound, so I really don't know why no one has ever done dbts...

Personally I don't doubt there are measured differences between cables due to materials, construction, conditions (etc) but I doubt there would be any audible differences.

After u prove the sound science people wrong, u should make a meme with those shades and caption it as 'DEAL WITH IT'

You could probably rewrite some papers on the extent of human hearing ability if you manage to follow through with results. Lol.

Dec 3, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #3,313 of 6,113
^Yep

Dec 3, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #3,314 of 6,113
You can start off with 2 cables first so startup budget shouldn't leave you on an instant noodle diet.

Some cables are touted to have a "night and day" effect on the sound, so I really don't know why no one has ever done dbts...

Personally I don't doubt there are measured differences between cables due to materials, construction, conditions (etc) but I doubt there would be any audible differences.
You could probably rewrite some papers on the extent of human hearing ability if you manage to follow through with results. Lol.

Two random cables can easily sound the same, obviously. That would not serve to accomplish anything. It would be an ambitious project testing out several dozen cables of each type, at least. The cost for the measuring equipment would be very high as well.

Dec 3, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #3,315 of 6,113
Two random cables can easily sound the same, obviously. That would not serve to accomplish anything. It would be an ambitious project testing out several dozen cables of each type, at least. The cost for the measuring equipment would be very high as well.

Silver sounds bright, copper increases bass and what have you. These are the general "signatures" of the materials used, according to the cable pushers.

I guess you can start by comparing a silver cable and the stock cable for any differences. And then go from there.

We should be testing if two cables (aftermarket vs stock) that reportedly sound very different in a sighted listening test can reproduce the same effect in a DBT, not that no two cables in the world can sound different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back