You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2!
Jul 30, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #571 of 6,112
Quote:
Quote:
When you spend your entire afternoon converting, organizing, and correctly importing over 500 songs onto your iPhone.

I wish iTunes could support FLAC
frown.gif
It'd make life SO much easier.

Afternoon? Oh wait, I was thinking tagging music rather than importing.

I've been tagging my music for the past week-ish....gah this is painful. It's really hard to find the composers to songs sometimes, especially when you don't have the liner notes. :frowning2:

But yes, FLAC on iTunes would be ooooooh maaah gaaawd so convenient. I don't want to use ALAC, but I guess I can convert to AAC instead since I mostly use my iPhone for mobile listening.

For tagging, if you get the Discogs extension for Foobar, it take a minute to tag 5 albums.

Jul 30, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #572 of 6,112
Sorry for double post, phone is being weird, but as far as album art goes, I don't worry about it the majority of the time because Foobar doesn't show it for me, and in iTunes, just right click the album and click find album art
tongue.gif

Jul 30, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #573 of 6,112
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
When you spend your entire afternoon converting, organizing, and correctly importing over 500 songs onto your iPhone.

I wish iTunes could support FLAC
frown.gif
It'd make life SO much easier.

Afternoon? Oh wait, I was thinking tagging music rather than importing.

I've been tagging my music for the past week-ish....gah this is painful. It's really hard to find the composers to songs sometimes, especially when you don't have the liner notes. :frowning2:

But yes, FLAC on iTunes would be ooooooh maaah gaaawd so convenient. I don't want to use ALAC, but I guess I can convert to AAC instead since I mostly use my iPhone for mobile listening.

For tagging, if you get the Discogs extension for Foobar, it take a minute to tag 5 albums.

Fuuuuuuuu are you serious?? I'll have to check it out! :-0
Thanks for the recommendation!

Quote:
Lololol you guys are all hopeful that it isn't really that bad but trust me, it's that bad. I found the screen shot of all her nonsense, notice the lack of tags and album art and how the file name is "preview"
Here lol:
http://cdn.head-fi.org/d/dd/dd770822_Capture.PNG

I remember the good 'ol days of when I downloaded music with tags like this one:

Jul 30, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #574 of 6,112
I've used that extension before. It's a bit spotty sometimes (I usually have to manually edit something), but it does make things a lot easier.

Also, @linglingjr: I notice that 8 kbps song is 33:00 minutes long. Amazon seems to think the song is actually a little under four and a half minutes long. I wonder if that's some kind of glitch with the tagger, or is it an entire album (or block of contiguous songs) all in one track?

Jul 30, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #576 of 6,112
I guess some people just dont "get" it. Some might think it's dodging a bullet considering how expensive this hobby can be.

Jul 30, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #577 of 6,112
Quote:
I guess some people just dont "get" it. Some might think it's dodging a bullet considering how expensive this hobby can be.

Yep. I'm just thinking about how back when I was 10 and 11 I used to listen to my music on the plastic on-ear headphone-like things that came stock with a portable CD player (remember those?). It's amazing how it never even occurred to me at the time that it could possibly get better than that.

And, in a way, it really doesn't. I've had multiple better(ish) headphones since then, I've got some quite nice ones now, and yet I can't say with a straight face that I enjoy my music any more than I did back then. In fact, I've never quite recaptured that sense of pure bliss of for the first time being able to pick a quiet place in the house (a loft above the garage the one summer) and just listen as long as I liked, without a care in the world. Part of it is just because I'm older now, with all that entails, but part of it is that the whole sound quality thing just didn't matter as much to me.

Or maybe those old plastic phones just weren't that bad. Years later I remember pitching them because the foam had started disintegrating. I wish I hadn't! I'd love to see what it was like back then.

YKYAA when the same equipment you happily enjoyed years ago is no longer good enough for you once you've heard better, and when you can't enjoy the music unless it's on your best gear.

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #581 of 6,112
Quote:

Yep. I'm just thinking about how back when I was 10 and 11 I used to listen to my music on the plastic on-ear headphone-like things that came stock with a portable CD player (remember those?). It's amazing how it never even occurred to me at the time that it could possibly get better than that.

And, in a way, it really doesn't. I've had multiple better(ish) headphones since then, I've got some quite nice ones now, and yet I can't say with a straight face that I enjoy my music any more than I did back then. In fact, I've never quite recaptured that sense of pure bliss of for the first time being able to pick a quiet place in the house (a loft above the garage the one summer) and just listen as long as I liked, without a care in the world. Part of it is just because I'm older now, with all that entails, but part of it is that the whole sound quality thing just didn't matter as much to me.

Your experience has been different from mine then haha. I wasn't really into music til I was about 15. That's when I really started listening to new and old artists. Two years later I bought my first real well regarded headphone, the hd25, and that put a huge grin on my face when I listen to all my music. Rock, electronic, and rnb sounded amazing. 
Since discovering that clarity I actually became interested in different genres like classical because suddenly they sounded pretty damn good.
Hearing a song I like on the radio for a first time and listening to it on my rig is completely different to me. I think head-fi helped me enjoy my music more.

Anyway, ykwaaw you have multiple audio players that serve different duties
foobar 2k for flac,
iTunes for managing my iphone library
winamp for convering flac to mp4

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #582 of 6,112
Quote:
Quote:

Your experience has been different from mine then haha. I wasn't really into music til I was about 15. That's when I really started listening to new and old artists. Two years later I bought my first real well regarded headphone, the hd25, and that put a huge grin on my face when I listen to all my music. Rock, electronic, and rnb sounded amazing. 
Since discovering that clarity I actually became interested in different genres like classical because suddenly they sounded pretty damn good.
Hearing a song I like on the radio for a first time and listening to it on my rig is completely different to me. I think head-fi helped me enjoy my music more.

Anyway, ykwaaw you have multiple audio players that serve different duties
foobar 2k for flac,
iTunes for managing my iphone library
winamp for convering flac to mp4

That's not really an audiophile thing. iTunes can't play FLAC so you need 2 different players to mange the iPhone library and your regular FLAC stuff anyway. 'Tis what I do.

Why use Winamp for converting files when Foobar can do it?

Jul 31, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #583 of 6,112
That's not really an audiophile thing. iTunes can't play FLAC so you need 2 different players to mange the iPhone library and your regular FLAC stuff anyway. 'Tis what I do.

Why use Winamp for converting files when Foobar can do it?

Because I actually paid for Winamp pro before I found foobar... I haven't gotten around to using foobars converter yet. Winamp is also like limbo for a lot of stuff I download too. If I like it, it goes on my external drive and subsequently is added to my foobar library. If not then it ends up in the recycle bin

Jul 31, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #584 of 6,112
Quote:

You bring up a good point that I didn't really think of in this context, though I've considered it before. I did discover a lot of music I might otherwise have never bothered with when I got my first "keeper" headphone. I used to be quite picky about which songs or pieces* on each album I listened to. I'd skip through and only listen to the two or three I liked (I even scrubbed through some multi-movement tracks to get to my favorite part). By the time I settled on the gear in my stable, I had started ripping entire albums and listening end to end, as well as going through my collection and trying stuff I'd probably listened to once six years before and forgotten about. Some of it still sucked, but I found a ton of stuff lurking in the corners of my CD stash that ended up becoming some of my favorite music.

As far as the stuff I'd been listening to for years, though, after the initial novelty wore off, I still say I enjoy it only as much as I did when I was listening to it years ago on the Crapp-o-sound 9000+ pack-in headphones. But going back to that now after I've known better? No freakin' way! This entire audiophile hobby is like one big diode--you can only go in one direction once you start moving.

*Yes, I was one of those weird 10 year olds who listened to classical--at the time, exclusively; thankfully I got over that and broadened my tastes, mostly with stuff I'd grown up listening to.

Anyway, YKYAA when you find yourself not watching certain channels in your YouTube subscription list as much as you might otherwise because the person's microphone isn't very good and produces noisy and harsh sound.

Aug 2, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #585 of 6,112
Quote:
YKYAAW it's finals week at U, but you're more concerned with what equipment you want to buy next.

it's 2pm, you should have been in bead an hour ago but NOPE you gatta listen to your newly modded cans... b4 u go to work at 10pm <.< 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back