Yamamoto Sound Craft HA-02
Jun 12, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #1,201 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy a used one. DAC's have no moving parts. So, not much risk. And if you don't like it or want to buy a better one you don't loose as much money selling it as with a new one.

It seems like a used Benchmark DAC1 goes for around $750, but when including shipping to Canada, duty and taxes, it will end up more than I want to pay. I couldn't even find a used Lavry, but my assumption is that it will go for around the same.

I still haven't heard from Venus Hifi concerning a DAC, but I guess I'll keep looking around. I'm thinking more that I should just get a cheaper bit-perfect sound card and connect using an optical cable rather than USB, so I can save on using a USB port.

Jul 15, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #1,202 of 1,351
After doing a lot of research, I'm strongly leaning towards a Stello DA100 for a DAC. A number of people have had very positive experiences using a W5000 with this DAC, and the overall quality is very high as well. Also, it costs only $695 US, and Stello/April Music have a presence in Canada as well, which should make things a bit cheaper.

Jul 16, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #1,203 of 1,351
I also like to change the parts inside of tube gear, but You have to know what parts are inside your amp and the functions they perform before you can start replacing them, so.....I have two questions:

1.) Has anyone posted pictures of the insides of this amp? 81 pages is a lot to thumb through? Or maybe there are some pictures someplace else?

2.) what is the circuit topology? I see the two small WE pentodes, but have no idea what circuit they are in or what each one does?

There doesn't seem to be much about that either. 6moons does not help.

Aug 17, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #1,205 of 1,351
Aslan123,
Have you found a DAC yet? If not, have a look at MHDT Paradisea+ DAC. It's a tube DAC with USB and run around $400 on a used market. I'm currently use the Non-USB Paradisea version with my HA-02 and W100. This combo produces very nice sound to my ears.

Sep 7, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #1,206 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by F-100 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aslan123,
Have you found a DAC yet? If not, have a look at MHDT Paradisea+ DAC. It's a tube DAC with USB and run around $400 on a used market. I'm currently use the Non-USB Paradisea version with my HA-02 and W100. This combo produces very nice sound to my ears.

Not yet and I'm still looking. In the meanwhile I bought a Ibasso D10 and perhaps I'll try that beforehand. My HA-02 has shipped and should be here this week, and I'm going to see if I get satisfied with the overall sound before spending some more money.

Sep 17, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #1,207 of 1,351
I heard some very odd popping noises a few minutes ago. This was when I was not wearing my W5000 headphones, and both the HA-02 and the iBasso D10 DAC were on and at a reasonable volume.
I'm rather puzzled to what they might be, and the noises were quite consistant and not irregular, but in a clicking pattern. I immediately turned the amp and DAC off, but I am slightly worried. I waited a long time for the HA-02 and I hope that nothing is wrong with that, as well as with the second hand W5000's which I don't think had any problems before.

Sep 17, 2009 at 10:49 AM Post #1,209 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aslan123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard some very odd popping noises a few minutes ago. This was when I was not wearing my W5000 headphones, and both the HA-02 and the iBasso D10 DAC were on and at a reasonable volume.
I'm rather puzzled to what they might be, and the noises were quite consistant and not irregular, but in a clicking pattern. I immediately turned the amp and DAC off, but I am slightly worried. I waited a long time for the HA-02 and I hope that nothing is wrong with that, as well as with the second hand W5000's which I don't think had any problems before.

Searching the fault.
When the AT is running fine from the D10 (without HA-02 connected), these are okay.
When NOT it might be the D10 or the connection to the source or the source.
I had some tube failure of the HA-02 at the beginning. It is wise to have some exchange. .....Good luck!

Sep 17, 2009 at 10:55 AM Post #1,210 of 1,351
I had a go with the HA-02 at a friend's place the other day with some Grado HF-1s, which it was lovely with. Haven't tried HF-2s yet though.

Internal pics are in the 6moons review:

hero_open.jpg

hero_closeuptranny.jpg

Sep 17, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #1,211 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Searching the fault.
When the AT is running fine from the D10 (without HA-02 connected), these are okay.
When NOT it might be the D10 or the connection to the source or the source.
I had some tube failure of the HA-02 at the beginning. It is wise to have some exchange. .....Good luck!

I think I figured it out. What I didn't notice until now was that the DAC ran out of power at the same instance as the clicking noise. It wouldn't turn on at work today, so I think the problem is that the DAC just needs a charge.

Of course, this also tells me that I need a standalone DAC at home since I listen a ton at both home and work, and the battery isn't big enough to keep going at that rate.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 17, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #1,212 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aslan123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I figured it out. What I didn't notice until now was that the DAC ran out of power at the same instance as the clicking noise. It wouldn't turn on at work today, so I think the problem is that the DAC just needs a charge.

Of course, this also tells me that I need a standalone DAC at home since I listen a ton at both home and work, and the battery isn't big enough to keep going at that rate.
smily_headphones1.gif

You can simply charge while listening at home with an usb connection to a computer or to the powersupply.
Have fun with the audio tools (toys).

Sep 19, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #1,213 of 1,351
rhw, how does your yamamoto mate with your grados? I have searched quite a bit for comments and found only a few.

Sep 19, 2009 at 10:26 AM Post #1,214 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikenyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rhw, how does your yamamoto mate with your grados? I have searched quite a bit for comments and found only a few.

Hi, first I have to confess that I had no extensive listening sessions with my Yamamoto and the hf-2. The last time I use the D10 the most time, to let the D10 Blackgates and the HF-2 burn in.
I like this combination very much (using the 744OBCA topkit in the D10) at the moment.
In a comparison last week I prefered the RS1 in cause of its higher resolution, transparency with the Yamamoto but this might change with some more burn in of the HF-2.
I have never heard the recommended ATs (W1000, W5000) with the Yamamoto, but prefer open phones over closed ones.
Generally I like the combination of Grados with the Yamamoto. Transparency, resolution and a bit of warmth are pleasing the Grados.
- With your equipment a maxxed out D10 will be fine, too.

Just a question: You are using Airport Express in your audio system.
How does a direct optical connection between computer and D10 compare to a WLAN airport express > optical > D10 audio transfer? Have you ever tried this?

Sep 19, 2009 at 12:45 PM Post #1,215 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, first I have to confess that I had no extensive listening sessions with my Yamamoto and the hf-2. The last time I use the D10 the most time, to let the D10 Blackgates and the HF-2 burn in.
I like this combination very much (using the 744OBCA topkit in the D10) at the moment.
In a comparison last week I prefered the RS1 in cause of its higher resolution, transparency with the Yamamoto but this might change with some more burn in of the HF-2.
I have never heard the recommended ATs (W1000, W5000) with the Yamamoto, but prefer open phones over closed ones.
Generally I like the combination of Grados with the Yamamoto. Transparency, resolution and a bit of warmth are pleasing the Grados.
- With your equipment a maxxed out D10 will be fine, too.

Just a question: You are using Airport Express in your audio system.
How does a direct optical connection between computer and D10 compare to a WLAN airport express > optical > D10 audio transfer? Have you ever tried this?

rhw, Thanks for your reply. This is very helpful. I have the 743/8616 top kit in my D10. Did you change the caps as well? I really like the D10 with my HF2s. Was surprised to see how closely you rate it to the Yammy. I have been thinking about tubes and also that I might try W1000s some time. My final consideration is that I want a decent looking amp. I am tight on space and do not want my wife complaining about how it looks. For these reasons, I have been carefully considering the Yammy. My conclusion is that it sounds good with Grados, but nothing close to the synergy with the W1000s.

I definitely prefer the D10 via optical versus USB. I primarily connect optical to my iMac but also use the D10 via Airport Express. Using it via airport, there is an occasional small transmission glitch. Usually just cuts out for a fraction of a second. I get better performance this way versus my Macbook on wireless with D10 listening to Pandora One. This config cuts out probably once every 15 minutes versus once every couple of hours for the Airport optical to D10 config. I live in New York so I have lots of interference. It might be flawless in a quieter environment. Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back