Yamaha PRO Headphones.
Jan 31, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #106 of 531
These are.... AMAZING. Huge thanks to Beagle for your impressions. I had a good feeling about these when you talked about the timbre of piano and vocals and natural tonality/decay is the most important aspect to me when it comes to a headphone. I think my headphone search may officially be over and that's huge for me to say.

People need to try these. The price tag is hefty but worth it IMHO and this comes from someone who definitely doesn't have a lot of cash to burn. The Pro 500 needs more attention than what they're getting right now. Hope to do a full review at some point in the future. All I can say is timbre is great, so is instrument separation and placement as well as soundstage for a closed cans. Instruments sound the way they should to my ears. Great bass extension, very detailed. I couldn't be happier. The Yamahas have set the bar for all competing circumaural portables. For once I don't feel like I am missing any one part of the frequency. It all just sounds right: musical and detailed.

Jan 31, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #107 of 531
Quote:
These are.... AMAZING. Huge thanks to Beagle for your impressions. I had a good feeling about these when you talked about the timbre of piano and vocals and natural tonality/decay is the most important aspect to me when it comes to a headphone. I think my headphone search may officially be over and that's huge for me to say.

People need to try these. The price tag is hefty but worth it IMHO and this comes from someone who definitely doesn't have a lot of cash to burn. The Pro 500 needs more attention than what they're getting right now. Hope to do a full review at some point in the future. All I can say is timbre is great, so is instrument separation and placement as well as soundstage for a closed cans. Instruments sound the way they should to my ears. Great bass extension, very detailed. I couldn't be happier. The Yamahas have set the bar for all competing circumaural portables. For once I don't feel like I am missing any one part of the frequency. It all just sounds right: musical and detailed.

Glad I finally broke down and ordered them today- picking up in-store tomorrow and I can't wait to compare to the M-100 which is where my circumaural bar is currently set.

Jan 31, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #108 of 531
Hope you enjoy them Craig and I look forward to your impressions!! Even though I am pretty content with these, I will definitely want to try the M-100 at some point I'm sure.

Jan 31, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #110 of 531
Quote:
 For once I don't feel like I am missing any one part of the frequency. It all just sounds right: musical and detailed.

That sums it up. It is the midrange purity of tone on strings, piano, vocal....you get full measure, and that makes timbre so accurate.

Jan 31, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #111 of 531
@beagle- I noticed you are a fan of the Monster Diamond Tears.  I wanted to try the black version at Best Buy today, but they had it locked in a plexiglass case and they didn't have a key!  Does the Diamond Tears offer anything sonically that the PRO 500 does not?  I both anticipate and fear that I am nearing the end of my closed circumaural headphone search.

Feb 1, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #113 of 531
Quote:
@beagle- I noticed you are a fan of the Monster Diamond Tears.  I wanted to try the black version at Best Buy today, but they had it locked in a plexiglass case and they didn't have a key!  Does the Diamond Tears offer anything sonically that the PRO 500 does not?  I both anticipate and fear that I am nearing the end of my closed circumaural headphone search.

The MDT has a nice balance, no real problem areas, no bass boom or screeching treble. But the Yamaha walks all over them in terms of authority, tonality, realism and musicality. Long term comfort is also not the DT strong suit.

Feb 4, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #114 of 531
I might have to start a pro 500 review thread as I am forgetting which reviews I have posted.

Here is a new one (i think):

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2413643,00.asp

Feb 4, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #115 of 531
Quote:
I might have to start a pro 500 review thread as I am forgetting which reviews I have posted.

Here is a new one (i think):

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2413643,00.asp

This is an older one, but a good review.  I ordered black, but they received blue at the store and are out of stock in black, so I cancelled my order.  Maybe fate intervening since I have Ultrasone Signature DJs arriving tomorrow.  I might wait for the first big price drop on the PRO 500, even if it's around the holidays.  Still very curious to hear them. 

Feb 4, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #116 of 531
That's a shame Craig, I was looking forward to reading your impressions.

Feb 4, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #117 of 531
Quote:
That's a shame Craig, I was looking forward to reading your impressions.

I'm hoping they will show up at a brick & mortar retailer at some point so I don't have to eat $40 in shipping costs just to try them.  Yamaha has a wide distribution network, so I am keeping my fingers crossed for Guitar Center or Best Buy to demo.

Feb 5, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #120 of 531
So Craig, it seems you have indeed spent more than I these past few months on closed-back headphones!! LOL. How about those Signature DJs!?! Did you get them yet? I was going to bite on one of those again (I cancelled from RMC as they took way too long to get them) but decided first to sell some of my gear to have a couple extra bucks.

I was thinking of ordering these from Crutchfield as they offer free shipping and working with them is definitely a pleasure, but not sure yet...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back