Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)
Jul 15, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #1,366 of 3,295
Dun buy that eBay pads..... warning given :p

-------

Do try the blue tac, n 4corners cotton ball mod....That sounds just TOTL class.( aka t5p n Pandora6 region) :p

Dun think the NAD, or CAL can excel over the mt220 once the music gets more complex, n u want the clarity.
The EL is flawed....opps.
Oppo is quite good when suitably paired.

Jul 15, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #1,367 of 3,295
  Heard some VERY good things about these babies, and looked at the overwhelmingly positive reviews and loved the look of them.

So I went to Rebverb.com and picked up a pair for $140 shipped; I am very excited to try these out!

I would just like to know what I should expect and burn in time for them? Any other tips would be great too.

I come from the HE-400's and those shine with velour pads, so I want to hear from you guys if these cans do as well? Is it worth the money to "upgrade" to them?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Velour-Velvet-Ear-Pads-Replacement-Cushion-For-YAMAHA-MT-220-MT220-Headphones-/251666017370

thanks in advance 

- Rushnerd

I second that ebay has a lot of cheap knock offs floating around best to get pads from amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Velor-Memory-Replacements-Earpads/dp/B00MFDX4YO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1436999252&sr=8-2&keywords=hm5+earpads&pebp=1436999254841&perid=1X4VSGNDNWRV55E4EPPD

Or mod the original pads buy stuffing some more cotton or foam into the pads or under them.

Jul 15, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #1,368 of 3,295
  I second that ebay has a lot of cheap knock offs floating around best to get pads from amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Velor-Memory-Replacements-Earpads/dp/B00MFDX4YO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1436999252&sr=8-2&keywords=hm5+earpads&pebp=1436999254841&perid=1X4VSGNDNWRV55E4EPPD

Or mod the original pads buy stuffing some more cotton or foam into the pads or under them.

Wow thanks. I will bookmark that. But $20 is a lot for something I have no idea is needed on these cans or not. If someone could shine some wisdom here I would be very grateful. 

I know on the HE-400 planars, they separated the cans from your ears more and improved acoustics and even bass! But I know with dynamic bass is usually king with stock ones. 

Let me know :)

Jul 15, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #1,369 of 3,295
http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Hybrid-Memory-Foam-Earpad/dp/B00ZGGG3KY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437001535&sr=8-1&keywords=Brainwavz+hybrid+memory+foam+replacements+earpads&pebp=1437001532827&perid=1Y4RXQ0TE0J0E99YSV4G

I replaced with this hybrid memory foam and it makes MT220 sound clearer and cleaner with improved soundstage, also makes it more comfortable. MT220, Beyerdyn. DT150 and Philips Fidelio X2 are my most favorite hps.

Jul 15, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #1,370 of 3,295
  Wow thanks. I will bookmark that. But $20 is a lot for something I have no idea is needed on these cans or not. If someone could shine some wisdom here I would be very grateful. 

I know on the HE-400 planars, they separated the cans from your ears more and improved acoustics and even bass! But I know with dynamic bass is usually king with stock ones. 

Let me know :)

I tried the none velor pads from brainwavz they do fit but tbh the sound did change. I suggest trying the stock pads first they are comfortable just a little thin. The sound change is hard to describe it does give it a bit more breathing room so sound stage gets better with HM5 pads. However the non-velor pads do seem to create a bit more acoustic resonance meaning you might have to dampen the headphone  with something.

I am not sure on the velor pads as they do not seem to create as much sound bounce but might lose a little bass umph do to less of a seal. 

Jul 16, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #1,371 of 3,295
Hi folks,

First post here. Got these babies after a long long wait and a few favours.

Got them to monitor my guitar playing and of course to enjoy listening to music. Had read a lot about them before the purchase, as they are pretty expensive for me (yes, I'am already a bit sorry for my wallet
wink.gif
). With the currency/PPP differences (Purchasing Power Parity) it feels a lot more expensive here in India, than it would to, say, a US or North-Europe based person.

Will write more in detail after I've heard them sufficently.

Hearing modes:

A) Directly via laptop which has Realtek HD audio (yes, it is not a good enough source)
B) The above routed via a Yamaha THR5A Acoustic Guitar Amplifier (it takes in analog and USB inputs - tried only USB)
C) Straight through the Guitar
D) Guitar signal routed via (B)

Quick impressions:

* Strangely, felt a change in their sound within an hour's use. It improved.

* I expect that most things I mention below will improve with burn-in.

* The frequency response is quite impressive.

* Treble can feel sharp and bothersome at times. Not to an extreme. Expect it to settle down.

* Midrange (the part I am most picky about) does not feel so right. Seems to get a bit overshadowed by the bass. Am hoping it would be to do with the lack fo a good DAC/Amp section (not too impressed with the THR5A for this, but that topic is for another day)

* Bass feels duly restrained and impressive. May not impress a bass-head - it is a studio monitor, afterall!!

* The transitions in sound frequencies seems to leave a bit to be desired.

* There also seems to be a bit of an issue with the decay in sound.The notes seem to die down a bit too quickly. Felt so in the treble range. Will comment more on it after more use. I expect this to improve.

* Very comfortable.

Further notes:

* Not sure what is happening, but there seems to be an almost extreme change in character of this phone over the few hours I've spent with it (probably about 10-15 hours).

* I hope it is only due to a burn-in and nothing more.

* It could also be to do with the recordings, but not too likely.

* The bass appears to cloud the midrange a bit.

* I am hearing this at a lower volume setting than phones which are supposedly of a higher senstivity and lesser ohms!

* The laptop's DAC-Amp surely is an issue here. Pulled out my old laptop which was not as battery effecient, and the midrange had more body, the treble was less tiresome.

* Overall: Pretty happy, but am expecting a lot more with better equipment and burn-in and the mind-body getting adapted to this phone. Will seek advice from fellow members in a few days about a portable DAC-amp (Fiio E07k in mind as of now).

I thank people on the thread for sharing their views and experiences, which helped me take a final call on this headphone. I am sure I can't remember all the people whose posts I found helpful and useful, but off the cuff, a few names do come to mind - Thank you @gelocks @H20Fidelity @NuckinFutz @Lorspeaker @chailee80 @macro and of course @grizzlybeast and @Arttt 

Jul 16, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #1,372 of 3,295
Hay hEddy welcome to the forums, you are very welcome!

Glad you are enjoying them, although with some issues. Are your above observations based on monitoring your guitar playing or listening to music, or both? Do you have any other sources, like a mobile phone?

As you mention the MT220 is very efficient, for me they are louder than the D2K they replace although the measurements would suggest otherwise.

Jul 16, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #1,373 of 3,295
If anyone is interested I have the HM5 velor pads, you can have them if you pay for postage (I'm UK). I don't like the change in sound myself but each to their own

Jul 16, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #1,374 of 3,295
  Hi folks,

First post here. Got these babies after a long long wait and a few favours.

Got them to monitor my guitar playing and of course to enjoy listening to music. Had read a lot about them before the purchase, as they are pretty expensive for me (yes, I'am already a bit sorry for my wallet
wink.gif
). With the currency/PPP differences (Purchasing Power Parity) it feels a lot more expensive here in India, than it would to, say, a US or North-Europe based person.

Will write more in detail after I've heard them sufficently.

Hearing modes:

A) Directly via laptop which has Realtek HD audio (yes, it is not a good enough source)
B) The above routed via a Yamaha THR5A Acoustic Guitar Amplifier (it takes in analog and USB inputs - tried only USB)
C) Straight through the Guitar
D) Guitar signal routed via (B)

Quick impressions:

* Strangely, felt a change in their sound within an hour's use. It improved.

* I expect that most things I mention below will improve with burn-in.

* The frequency response is quite impressive.

* Treble can feel sharp and bothersome at times. Not to an extreme. Expect it to settle down.

* Midrange (the part I am most picky about) does not feel so right. Seems to get a bit overshadowed by the bass. Am hoping it would be to do with the lack fo a good DAC/Amp section (not too impressed with the THR5A for this, but that topic is for another day)

* Bass feels duly restrained and impressive. May not impress a bass-head - it is a studio monitor, afterall!!

* The transitions in sound frequencies seems to leave a bit to be desired.

* There also seems to be a bit of an issue with the decay in sound.The notes seem to die down a bit too quickly. Felt so in the treble range. Will comment more on it after more use. I expect this to improve.

* Very comfortable.

Further notes:

* Not sure what is happening, but there seems to be an almost extreme change in character of this phone over the few hours I've spent with it (probably about 10-15 hours).

* I hope it is only due to a burn-in and nothing more.

* It could also be to do with the recordings, but not too likely.

* The bass appears to cloud the midrange a bit.

* I am hearing this at a lower volume setting than phones which are supposedly of a higher senstivity and lesser ohms!

* The laptop's DAC-Amp surely is an issue here. Pulled out my old laptop which was not as battery effecient, and the midrange had more body, the treble was less tiresome.

* Overall: Pretty happy, but am expecting a lot more with better equipment and burn-in and the mind-body getting adapted to this phone. Will seek advice from fellow members in a few days about a portable DAC-amp (Fiio E07k in mind as of now).

I thank people on the thread for sharing their views and experiences, which helped me take a final call on this headphone. I am sure I can't remember all the people whose posts I found helpful and useful, but off the cuff, a few names do come to mind - Thank you @gelocks @H20Fidelity @NuckinFutz @Lorspeaker @chailee80 @macro and of course @grizzlybeast and @Arttt 

I had real issues with some sibilance at first burn in does help. How ever I broke down and got a dac/amp (little usb one) and sounds much nicer then from my realtek onboard. May I suggest trying the head phones on a cell phone or mp3 player if you have one. I did that to make sure it was my source not my headphones which were the issue. I also suggest doing a burn in at low volumes to begin with 30-50% volume. Try using this for burn in while sleeping.

Jul 17, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #1,375 of 3,295
I recommend using music for burn in and nothing else.
Don't be in a rush, and don't use noise or any other burn in cd's with all kind of sounds. I already throwed a few pairs of headphone in a garbage because of noise burn in cd's. It gives fast effect but mess up the sound, specially highs sound artificial and tense.

With mt220 I notice lots of change in the mids after few nights with Jazz rock fusion on , lots of cymbals drums and electric guitar riffs, it really clear the mids and get that boomy bass tight and controlled , it won't leach into to mids after 200 hours of proper burn in

So my advice is - lots of music with violin , piano , cymbals drums guitar riffs and vocals to clear the mids of booming midbass

Enjoy your mt220

Jul 17, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #1,376 of 3,295
Don't be in a rush, and don't use noise or any other burn in cd's with all kind of sounds. I already throwed a few pairs of headphone in a garbage because of noise burn in cd's. It gives fast effect but mess up the sound, specially highs sound artificial and tense.

With mt220 I notice lots of change in the mids after few nights with Jazz rock fusion on , lots of cymbals drums and electric guitar riffs, it really clear the mids and get that boomy bass tight and controlled , it won't leach into to mids after 200 hours of proper burn in

So my advice is - lots of music with violin , piano , cymbals drums guitar riffs and vocals to clear the mids of booming midbass

Enjoy your mt220

I did both for burn in but I never leave it on noise for more then a few hours... and when I went to work switched it to my gaint music play list. Also people often put volume up to high for intial burn in that is a bad idea.

I am bit on the fence about burn in but on these headphones it does seem to help some. I am in the group of people if you hate it out the box burn in for about a day or so. If still no change just return and try a new headphone.

Jul 17, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #1,377 of 3,295
Hay @hEddy welcome to the forums, you are very welcome!

Glad you are enjoying them, although with some issues. Are your above observations based on monitoring your guitar playing or listening to music, or both? Do you have any other sources, like a mobile phone?

As you mention the MT220 is very efficient, for me they are louder than the D2K they replace although the measurements would suggest otherwise.

Thank you for the welcome, @NuckinFutz!

The observations are primarily based on listening to music (though my guitar too can sound like music at times 
wink.gif
) via the laptop/THR5A. The experience with the guitar is quite the same, though some notes have comparatively more authority when on the guitar, but that could be to do with how this little THR5A (guitar amp) handles the signal. The amp is brilliant with the guitar signals, but does little for the other sound, which seems to move through a different amp route/process (the guitar section has various sound shaping/modding controls).

As of now, that is something I miss - the authority of the notes. Eagerly and patiently waiting for them to be burnt in. I am quite a believer in burn in for most things having mechanical movement (drivers in this case).

While playing guitar, it seems to lack in handling the sound when multiple strings are played quickly. It gets a bit muddied, but I presume that is mainly due to the bass overshadowing the mids, which I expect will clear up. I also remember @grizzlybeast and @Arttt specifically talking about this getting cleared up.

I did try them with my Samsung Note 2 (N7100), but nothing really of 'note' to say from that! I am not too impressed with the sound of the Note 2 for music in the little I've tried it on this phone with other stuff. I presume it would work well for the really sensitive low impidence stuff.

As far as measurements go, I usually take them only as a broad indicator. From the little I know, most measurements are prone to "manipulation". The conditions and standards in which they are measured are not properly known or stated. This leads to variations. Sensitivity measurements too would vary on how they are measured and in what frequency the sound signal was. I think the standards there are lacking and are not really universal. AFAIK, there are different measurement standards between, say, Japan and Europe. Also, real life music is often quite different from test conditions and vary a lot; probably a bit like how fuel consumption figures are for cars.

I had real issues with some sibilance at first burn in does help. How ever I broke down and got a dac/amp (little usb one) and sounds much nicer then from my realtek onboard. May I suggest trying the head phones on a cell phone or mp3 player if you have one. I did that to make sure it was my source not my headphones which were the issue. I also suggest doing a burn in at low volumes to begin with 30-50% volume. Try using this for burn in while sleeping.

@Solduios Thank you for your suggestions. I will share my thoughts and plan about it below.

Which DAC-Amp did you go in for and what kind of changed did you note in sound?

I had a really cheap USB one lying around (identifies itself as C-Media audio on Windows). Dug out the order. It says Syba SM-CM-UAUD USB Stereo Audio Adapter, C-Media Chipset, RoHS. Also tried the phones through this. It makes them sound a bit louder. The midrange seems to have a bit more body, however the frequency range seems a bit diminished and gives a bit of a feeling of compressed sound (this can also add to the perception of louder sound). It becomes less airy as compared to the on-board Realtek HD. More punch, but less satisfying sound.

Enjoy your mt220

I am trying to see this in another way - to enjoy the changes in sound, as the moving parts of the driver change flexibility on use :) So, I am simply listening to them. Unlike many people on the forum, I don't change gear too often, so this is viable for me! It is going through some of Beethoven's Symphonies and ample guitar based music, so the drivers would be getting the due "exercise" So, it pretty much matches what you are suggesting, @Arttt

Thanks for your tips, folks.

Jul 17, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #1,378 of 3,295
  By the way, i made few blind tests with two pairs of mt220, i don't even have to listen for few minutes to tell the difference , as soon as a note from piano comes or guitar string , i could easily tell difference in decay, same with bass drops, its way to obvious!

For those who buy mt220 now, congrats fellas , you get a cleaner sounding headphone with tighter/faster bass and and more detail =)

Any suggestions on identifying whether my phones are from the older batch or the newer one, @Arttt. It would be a bit disappointing if it was from one which is already supposed to have cleaner sound. Mine was purchased around May-June this year.

Jul 17, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #1,379 of 3,295

Besides all the stuff above and measurements and descriptions etc, there is another way I like to look at audio. Both gear and music. It is about the emotional appeal of the sound. If it adds to the emotion of the piece. The emotion may come from the colouration of the gear matching with the piece of music and/or the listener. Or, it could also come from being suitably neutral, so that the expression of the artist and it's interpretation by the sound engineers was coming across as intended.

I heard this piece by Simply Red recommended by @Lorspeaker after maybe a decade or so, and yes, it did move me; even though I never really saw this piece with any special emotions before. The experience also reminded @mrmoses' experience. It may seem that I have complained about this headphone above, but it is things like this, which make audio equipment great.

This also ties a bit with how this phone was presented (also emphasised by @grizzlybeast ) - as being for Modern Music. Modern music may often involve more of impacts, of sudden changes in sound level, which really use the dynamic range. This piece seemed to do that to quite an extent.

I expect this phone will open up further to stamp it's authority for Modern Music. I hope it will not disappoint for gentler melodious soft transitions, often heard from wind instruments. It was a short one line review on Amazon by @magadethbill saying "Scottish bagpipes and these headphones are a amazing Grace", which made me raise expectations.

Quote:
  dun worry about the dac amp first, get the can n enjoy the fun straight off your laptop/fones/tablets...
i do it all the time watching youtubes :p

======

SIMPLY RED....that basss clear n textured, dammm its GREAT :p

Jul 17, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #1,380 of 3,295
@heddy

Serial number should be above 12000.
You can find serial number on a white piece of tape under the earpad, i dont remember IF Its on the right or left side, remove earpads on both sides and see ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back