Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)
Jul 10, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #1,351 of 3,295
  By the way, i made few blind tests with two pairs of mt220, i don't even have to listen for few minutes to tell the difference , as soon as a note from piano comes or guitar string , i could easily tell difference in decay, same with bass drops, its way to obvious!

For those who buy mt220 now, congrats fellas , you get a cleaner sounding headphone with tighter/faster bass and and more detail =)

I got mine about a week ago, I have no experience with older batches so I cannot comment on the difference.

I am finding it hard to fault my MT220 for SQ only but I do believe that my HPH200 has a wider soundstage (as expected I suppose from an open-backed H/Phone) but the 200 is not as good in all other areas like sub-bass and mid-range/ voice and in its 3D ability.

I never find the treble harsh or have any silabance on the MT220.

Jul 10, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #1,352 of 3,295
swapping betw stock n angledvelor...the latter gives a hearthrough effect..
v absorbing listening experience, esp for soundtracks, trance, operatic singing.

Jul 11, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #1,353 of 3,295
In case anyone else is considering them, Mad Dog Pads fit the 220s pretty well, they will smother the "sound holes" though if you don't put in spacers. They seem to really bring out the bass (I'm getting a better seal possibly). If you want the 220s to sound as neutral as possible, the stock pads are probably better. Comfort wise, I prefer the leather Dog Pads to stock pads and to the HM5 pleathers.

Jul 11, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #1,354 of 3,295
  In case anyone else is considering them, Mad Dog Pads fit the 220s pretty well, they will smother the "sound holes" though if you don't put in spacers. They seem to really bring out the bass (I'm getting a better seal possibly). If you want the 220s to sound as neutral as possible, the stock pads are probably better. Comfort wise, I prefer the leather Dog Pads to stock pads and to the HM5 pleathers, the weather has been warm and my ears don't sweat quite as much with real leather pads.

Interesting to here this  from you as well as Lorspeaker on different pads.

I am going to hold off on changing pads or any mods for a few weeks while I get to know them as only have about 70 hours burn-in.

Mad dogs are about $60 US plus postage. 

blue-tit-27.jpg

Jul 15, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #1,358 of 3,295
  How does the MT 220 compare to the Philips Fidelio L2 soundwise?

Dakanao, I thought I would mention to you that the Guys and Girls on this thread seem pretty helpful at answering questions but it is likely that they have not tried it - to compare it.

May I ask a similar question that may help with this question - has anyone found a better sounding H/phone compared to the MT220 and how much will it hurt ?

Also has anyone come accross a thread on Head-fi or similar sites that plays music video's from You-Tube etc. a mix of old stuff/ music, unusual stuff, fun stuff  and from all parts of the world and languages and even non- main-stream music as well as current stuff.

Perhaps we could include photos of pets, animals, wildlife and Birds etc. (I love Parrots and birds) also some nice scenery pictures and we could throw in a bit of humour and banter etc. as well as discuss new/ interesting current music playing gear?

I was thinking of starting a new thread but would only do so if there were other people interested and we could join up to make it work - If so please PM me and we might get one started?

Jul 15, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #1,359 of 3,295
Dakanao, I thought I would mention to you that the Guys and Girls on this thread seem pretty helpful at answering questions but it is likely that they have not tried it - to compare it.

May I ask a similar question that may help with this question - has anyone found a better sounding H/phone compared to the MT220 and how much will it hurt ?

Also has anyone come accross a thread on Head-fi or similar sites that plays music video's from You-Tube etc. a mix of old stuff/ music, unusual stuff, fun stuff  and from all parts of the world and languages and even non- main-stream music as well as current stuff.

Perhaps we could include photos of pets, animals, wildlife and Birds etc. (I love Parrots and birds) also some nice scenery pictures and we could through in a bit of humour and banter etc. as well as discuss new/ interesting current music playing gear?

I was thinking of starting a new thread but would only do so if there were other people interested and we could join up to make it work - If so please PM me and we might get one started?

For the price I have not found anything that can match the mt220. I found it very competitive up to and possibly over the $500 mark. There were a few more expensive headphones that I thought sounded better like the Nad hp50, shure srh1540, ultrasone sig pro/dj, audeze el-8 & oppo pm-3 but none can match the mt220's comfort and value.

Jul 15, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #1,360 of 3,295
For the price I have not found anything that can match the mt220. I found it very competitive up to and possibly over the $500 mark. There were a few more expensive headphones that I thought sounded better like the Nad hp50, shure srh1540, ultrasone sig pro/dj, audeze el-8 & oppo pm-3 but none can match the mt220's comfort and value.

I think my Creative aurvana live sounds better than the NAD Viso HP50 in the mids and treble department.

Jul 15, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #1,363 of 3,295
Never heard the original cals but I wasn't too fond of the cal 2, a bit too V shaped overall for my liking, I much preferred a flatter response like the one found on the hp50 and mt220.

My preference is also a neutral, natural balance with good clear mids.

Jul 15, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #1,364 of 3,295
I had the original CAL! they were excellent, I wish I sill had them to compare.

Jul 15, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #1,365 of 3,295
Heard some VERY good things about these babies, and looked at the overwhelmingly positive reviews and loved the look of them.

So I went to Rebverb.com and picked up a pair for $140 shipped; I am very excited to try these out!

I would just like to know what I should expect and burn in time for them? Any other tips would be great too.

I come from the HE-400's and those shine with velour pads, so I want to hear from you guys if these cans do as well? Is it worth the money to "upgrade" to them?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Velour-Velvet-Ear-Pads-Replacement-Cushion-For-YAMAHA-MT-220-MT220-Headphones-/251666017370

thanks in advance 

- Rushnerd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back