Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)
Dec 13, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #46 of 3,295
I wasn't particularly looking for any mixing/studio headphones but since I enjoyed the Pro 500s (basshead cans) a lot with the exception of its comfort factor, I decided to give these new ones a try. Definitely was not disappointed. They are definitely not perfect (I still find it has boosted highs and a touch of bass) but they are enjoyable for music listening and for watching movies as well (couldn't say the same with either the Shure SRH940s which I liked but I enjoy these better nor the Spider Moonlight Studio headphones.)

Dec 13, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #47 of 3,295
I found my pair for $120 AUD (eBay auction) so to me theyre great. Rather than jump straight in maybe keep your eye on them for a sale. However I do find they execute EDM very well when using the amp but I'm not going say there probably isn't better options out there. Then on the other side of the coin you could spend once and get the job done for your mixing. Try and demo them somewhere if you can. I took the chance because of my previous experience with EPH-100 and HPH-200 so I had faith in the brand. It paid off.

Right, fair enough. I'll keep my eye open for some deals then.

If I can get them under £100 I'd be pretty happy I think, then the S680 would become my go outside cans and the MT220 I would use for mixing indoors.

Dec 13, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #48 of 3,295
^ I understand the deal part but what is worth noting in my opinion is that these out perform its piers that are priced higher in many aspects. I have my gripes about them but they are well worth the full 249. That is why I was very happy with them because at that price I can't ask for too much. The attack and impact of these headphones along with the balance is very good. 

Dec 13, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #49 of 3,295
  I wasn't particularly looking for any mixing/studio headphones but since I enjoyed the Pro 500s (basshead cans) a lot with the exception of its comfort factor, I decided to give these new ones a try. Definitely was not disappointed. They are definitely not perfect (I still find it has boosted highs and a touch of bass) but they are enjoyable for music listening and for watching movies as well (couldn't say the same with either the Shure SRH940s which I liked but I enjoy these better nor the Spider Moonlight Studio headphones.)

I was only a bit disappointed because I expected more.

I have a lot of respect for Yamaha as a music equipment company,
and it's been that way for a long time.

I think these are good headphones, solidly made, maybe worth $249
but more like $200.  Nothing bothersome or off-putting about them.

But they don't have that special 'thing' that makes you want to
grab them and keep listening.  Not for me, anyway.  I've returned
the set I bought and that's not something I do very often.

I do like them more than the Shure 940's (and 840's for that matter),
but I like the NAD HP50's significantly more with a price difference
of only $50

Dec 13, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #51 of 3,295

of only $50

I gotta hear those NAD's If they sound just like the psb they are not for me. THe psb was close to good but I can remember waht I didnt like about them. I just didnt.

For me the only gripe I have for the yammies is transparency. When I read what they were designed for "Modern Recording" implying electronic and the likes, I find them to be literally perfect for that. They have good balance and superb attack with strong sub bass. The soundstage is good as well. For casual listening and enjoyment I can understand the disappointment. They lack the immediate clarity and soft nature of that most consumers want for extended listening.  They, to me, are aggressive but not overwhelming and detailed.

Also the price probably reflects the WAVELAB CD that noone, not even I have seemed to try out.

Dec 13, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #52 of 3,295

of only $50

I need to try those!!!
I liked the PSB M4U 1s but thought it was too... ermm.. "safe" (i.e. the highs were not sparkly and the low end was all but missing -- sub-bass I mean). Hopefully that one is better in those 2 aspects while retaining the mostly "neutral" mids.

Dec 13, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #53 of 3,295
^ I understand the deal part but what is worth noting in my opinion is that these out perform its piers that are priced higher in many aspects. I have my gripes about them but they are well worth the full 249. That is why I was very happy with them because at that price I can't ask for too much. The attack and impact of these headphones along with the balance is very good. 

I'd have no problem spending $250 on these, but $200 would be a nicer figure and a carry case could of helped. I still think they sound great, hardly put them down, because they're so non fatiguing. I've found the detail really comes out when you start driving them hard which for some may be quite high volume but there's no denying they can get up go.

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #54 of 3,295
Man I am getting confused with this headphone. Now they sound more transparent than the 7520. 

One thing is for sure they are brighter and have better attack and soundstage and stronger bass.

Dec 17, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #55 of 3,295
  Man I am getting confused with this headphone. Now they sound more transparent than the 7520. 

One thing is for sure they are brighter and have better attack and soundstage and stronger bass.

Just wondering how many hours your MT220 have done now?

Dec 17, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #58 of 3,295
Yeah, at the moment I am liking the mt220 more than the 7520.... I know it won't be the popular opinion but it is my preference on a lot of songs at the moment. The soundstage is better and the attack is better. The sounds are more crisp. At times when the bass slammed in it ate some details but that is nearly impossible to be completely avoidable. 

I hope these don't sell really soon cause I want to compare them to the incoming akg k545. If I wasn't trying to go for the th600 then these would easily satisfy. I keep going back and for between these and the 7520 but right now the mt220 is a preference. 

Dec 17, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #59 of 3,295
As a disclaimer: I'm not the biggest believer of burn in, well more to the truth I sit somewhere in the middle leaning neither way, open minded so you could say. 

On open box my MT220 had quite an emphasis in mid-bass, it was blooming quite a lot when unrequired, even at lower volumes however since using them casually (probably about 15-20 hours) that mid-bass bloom has subsided to my ears, the sub-bass has come out in exchange, to be honest the first 30 minutes with them was a little underwhelming but not anymore. As Grizzly mentioned I also hear my pair becoming a little more transparent, hence the reason I asked him how many hours his pair have done. I don't think MT220 is ever going to be the most transparent orientated studio monitor around however, it's tonality  (which is just off neutral to warm to these ears) is something that grows on you and extremely non fatiguing overall. They absolutely rip apart metal and rock music, for example Metallica, guitars have really admirable crunch to them, they also excel at EDM as I've previously mentioned.

it's not a bright sounding monitor, but very smooth with good weight to the mid range.

Dec 21, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #60 of 3,295
it's not a bright sounding monitor, but very smooth with good weight to the mid range.

So in all honesty to me and compared to the couple of hp's I have here these would land in bright category. But that is because what I have here is not bright at all. I haven't picked up the sony in a while now and the yamaha is getting wayyy more headtime. The differences are less blurry and I can easily tell them apart now. I think that is because I have become more seasoned. These have better impact but still behave according to the production. They don't make non bass heavy songs sound too bassy. When I receive the akg 545 I am actually more interested in how they compare against the yamahas more than the sony's. They yamaha good sub bass impact and the sony has a mid bass hump but still doesn't have the impact of the yamaha. The details in the bass and overall details still go to the sony but I find them less musical with less PRAT and a less punchy. After a while the differences become way more apparent. Or it could be that me coming from the LCD2 placed both of these in the same category at first. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back