Yamaha EPH-100
Mar 10, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #3,736 of 4,690
Sorry can't seem to edit last post so had to post again.

Just paid $95 for these shipped from eBay. They state it new but without retail package. Should I be careful or concerned?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Mar 10, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #3,737 of 4,690
Sorry can't seem to edit last post so had to post again.

Just paid $95 for these shipped from eBay. They state it new but without retail package. Should I be careful or concerned?

I got a pair that way from Amazon. They were just fine.

Mar 11, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #3,738 of 4,690
I got a pair that way from Amazon. They were just fine.

I got a refund as I got paranoid ha ha
So got retail packed one for same price. Its getting sent via ePacket from China so kind of worrying as I heard horror stories of ePacket shipments!

Also one guy on here says sub bass on these are not as good as Tenore's which worries me too!

Mar 11, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #3,739 of 4,690
Sub-bass on the EPH-100 is excellent and quite musical. I own the ATH-IM70s which present more bass weight but in a very congested and non-musical fashion. You will be stunned by the bass extension while maintaining clarity throughout the frequency range.

Mar 11, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #3,740 of 4,690
Sub-bass on the EPH-100 is excellent and quite musical. I own the ATH-IM70s which present more bass weight but in a very congested and non-musical fashion. You will be stunned by the bass extension while maintaining clarity throughout the frequency range.

Sounds promising.
I know I wont notice a huge difference in quality from my ZA Basso but I do hope its faster.
People with these and the RHA 750s say EPH100s are faster.

Mar 11, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #3,741 of 4,690
Sounds promising.
I know I wont notice a huge difference in quality from my ZA Basso but I do hope its faster.

The Yamaha's come from the same lineage as the famous NS-10M Studio Monitor, the NS-1000M Monitor and the Class A MX-1 dual mono power amplifier.

Yamaha is a music company first. This has always been evident in the quality of the sound signatures in their consumer and professional products. They were one of the first Japanese companies to produce power amps and receivers that actually sounded good, which was rare for Japan for a long time. How things have changed.

Not having heard the ZAs I cannot speak comparatively; however, what I can say is that the EPHs are very musical, transient and listenable. The sound is organic and engaging. Bass extension in the sub-bass region is quite present and detailed. That's the one thing about Yamaha products that remains consistent. They are detailed.

Daft Punk's Doin It Right is IMHO flawless represented. ABing them with the ATH-IM70s reveals a significant loss do detail in the upper mids and highs. Decay is choked off and the soundstage is both narrowed and displaced. The EPHs make the experience of listening to the same material abundant key more intimate due to one's ability to hear more of what's on the track and not just some engineer's idea of how his hardware should present so done else's art.

You be the judge.

Mar 11, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #3,742 of 4,690
Sounds promising.

The Yamaha's come from the same lineage as the famous NS-10M Studio Monitor, the NS-1000M Monitor and the Class A MX-1 dual mono power amplifier.

Yamaha is a music company first. This has always been evident in the quality of the sound signatures in their consumer and professional products. They were one of the first Japanese companies to produce power amps and receivers that actually sounded good, which was rare for Japan for a long time. How things have changed.

Not having heard the ZAs I cannot speak comparatively; however, what I can say is that the EPHs are very musical, transient and listenable. The sound is organic and engaging. Bass extension in the sub-bass region is quite present and detailed. That's the one thing about Yamaha products that remains consistent. They are detailed.

Daft Punk's Doin It Right is IMHO flawless represented. ABing them with the ATH-IM70s reveals a significant loss do detail in the upper mids and highs. Decay is choked off and the soundstage is both narrowed and displaced. The EPHs make the experience of listening to the same material abundant key more intimate due to one's ability to hear more of what's on the track and not just some engineer's idea of how his hardware should present so done else's art.

You be the judge.

Wow you should do marketing for them! I have to wait two weeks to three before I get to judge them. :frowning2: could have got them this week if I paid 40 more.

Mar 12, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #3,743 of 4,690
Wow you should do marketing for them! I have to wait two weeks to three before I get to judge them. :frowning2: could have got them this week if I paid 40 more.

Not really. I am just offering an honest critique as someone who will try anyone's product.

Mar 12, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #3,744 of 4,690

Wow you should do marketing for them! I have to wait two weeks to three before I get to judge them.
frown.gif
could have got them this week if I paid 40 more.

Not really. I am just offering an honest critique as someone who will try anyone's product.

That was a compliment from nekromantik.  Enjoy it.

Mar 14, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #3,750 of 4,690
  Just receivED these beautiful little knobs of metal (beauty IS in the eye of the beholder); any 'break-in' advice?
BIG thanks as i'm NOT reading 250 pgs too just find out... 'leave em on'!!!
tongue.gif

Not really, just 'leave em on' at your normal listening volume. I don't believe loud volumes will do a better job (but not necessarily a worse either). Also, if you find the EPH-100 a bit too dark, do try a bit of EQ treble boost; it works great with this phone and really changed my perception of it. Overall, it is a pretty great phone; all the more so considering its price. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back