Yamaha EPH-100
Jan 30, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #331 of 4,690
One last question springs to mind, I have rather small ear canals, with Sony Hybrids I prefer the smallest SS size and a small size in general with Sennheiser tips as well, from the pictures the tips on these look huge! Need I worry about that?

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #333 of 4,690

Quote:

No, you definitely have not
wink.gif

But, my friend, let me disagree with something you said: "GR07s do not truly excel in an given genre, but are very capable at decently rendering a much wider range". My friend, I have listen to pretty much every genre with both, and in my opinion the EPH-100's do render a much wider range better. If you don't like the EPH100's treble for jazz, you won't like the GR-07's treble as well. Plus the EPH-100's do everything better, since the energy and emotion they provide, to the sub-bass, to the slightly more forward mids, to the soundstage, largely superior instrument separation, 3D imaging, etc. And I'm talking since jazz to Electro and all the rest in the between (Pop, Rock, Indie, Funk, Soul, R&B, Hip-Hop, etc, etc). Not to mention Metal where they truly excel, some steps ahead the UM3X, due to separation. They do render anything just perfectly. The GR-07's in comparison do sound dry, lifeless, and many times, congested (Metal). I definetly place the YAMAHA's in other league. But thats why this is a forum, a place for discussion, as we all have our own opinions :)

That's cool - things would get very boring is we agreed on everything, but if you have just one earphone that can meet all of your musical needs, you're a far less particular man than me.

When listening to intentionally harsh, cold or chaotic music, it simply never enters my head to reach for a phone that is warm, laid back and bass heavy. I naturally reach for something which is crisp, forward and aggressive, which the EPH-100 clearly isn't.

I can't relate to your view that the Yamahas do everything better because they provide more energy and emotion. Surely a more rational view would be that the Yamaha's do some things better, including energy and emotion. I'd actually personally agree with you on this, as it's one of the EPH-100s major strengths. However, to my ears the Yamaha's are not suited to genres that are the antithesis of energy or emotion, such as industrial noise, minimal techno, lo-fi black metal, drone, sludge and doom. That sir, would be like drinking gasoline from a champagne crystal glass.    

beerchug.gif

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #336 of 4,690

Quote:

To my ears the FXT90s fair very well with those genres, doing them no injustice at all. Indeed, I've yet to hear a genre that the JVCs can't render with ease. Not only are they as versatile as the GR-07s, but they also add a splash of fun and color. That said, I've always thought that they really shine with rock, punk and metal, largely due to their forward and aggressive presentation.  Being more laid back, comparatively slower, and much bassier, the EPH-100s are far less versatile. To my ears however they really shine with EDM, d&b, triphop, ambient, psybient and psych-rock, perhaps even more than the JVCs do with punk and metal. My rationale for this is three-fold:

• The Yamaha's superior imaging, layering and separation give subliminal detailing real life, particularly when it comes to intricate layers of sounds being manipulated and panned from ear to ear in complex patterns. VERY psychedelic.
  • The EH-100's weighty bottom end gives bass driven music a real sense of weight and power. On it's own this would almost certainly be overwhelming, but the Yamaha's have little, if any mid-bass bleed. The forward mids therefore sound very clear, well-defined and vibrant, without ever sounding bloated or muddy. 
  • Whilst the Yamaha's treble isn't going to win any prizes for extension (at least not at this stage of burn-in), its smooth nature and calculated placement behind the mids / lows means that you can crank the volume up high with zero fatigue. This in turn intensifies the above factors to the point where on 10 or more occasions now I have broken out in to an uncontrollable fit of head-bobbing.

So to summarize, I'd say that the FXT90s are much more versatile and are probably more suited for somebody who listens to a wide range of genres. They also shine with aggressive or extreme music, particularly grindcore, death metal and doom. For someone who generally listens to edm, d&b, hip/trip-hop or anything immersive / psychedelic, the EPH-100s may be the better choice. 

I hope this helps. 

Sounds like the EH-100's are similar to the Tandems?
If you've heard IE80, how do they differ vs EH-100?

Thanks

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #337 of 4,690
Jan 30, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #338 of 4,690

Quote:
I can't relate to your view that the Yamahas do everything better because they provide more energy and emotion. Surely a more rational view would be that the Yamaha's do some things better, including energy and emotion. I'd actually personally agree with you on this, as it's one of the EPH-100s major strengths. However, to my ears the Yamaha's are not suited to genres that are the antithesis of energy or emotion, such as industrial noise, minimal techno, lo-fi black metal, drone, sludge and doom. That sir, would be like drinking gasoline from a champagne crystal glass.    

beerchug.gif

I will try to listen to them in a more analytical and less emotional way, as they've been taking my sleep since Friday
wink_face.gif

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #341 of 4,690

Quote:

I will try to listen to them in a more analytical and less emotional way, as they've been taking my sleep since Friday
wink_face.gif

I think that' just asking for heart breaks.*

Look you found an IEM that does the genre of music you love brilliantly.. Its got your head moving & feet tapping than you want to take it apart & look for imperfections

That's like having a beautiful woman in your arms that you could fall in love with happily forever & than deciding to see if you can spot facial hair.

Come on guys... music is for enjoying the moment.

These were never meant to be analytical IEM's.

Take them for what they are & just enjoy else you will never be happy with owning a single IEM which seems to be the case with a few people on head-fi

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #342 of 4,690

Quote:
May I say that it's because of people  like you that I love this forum so much, thank you a million times!

The distinction is clear now and I will break the bank soon for one of these, until then there is no need to finalize my decision but this has most certainly helped in clarifying things!

You're welcome, and I'm glad to have been of help.
beerchug.gif
Feel free to ask further questions. 

Quote:
Thanks for your comparison. Does EPH-100 have a wide soundstage for your ears? How does soundstage compare to FX-700?

To my ears, no. It is average in width but has superb depth. The soundstage is very intimate, and reminds me more of the SM3, i.e. in the middle of a studio as opposed to being in front of a stage. The FX-700s is much wider, but also much shallower, giving the impression of live band playing on a stage. Both are technically on par in this respect, but I prefer the Yamahas presentation by quite a large margin.

Quote:
I agree this should not become an all praising thread. Hopefully the IEM will have a dedicated appreciation thread one day for the praising.

I welcome constructive criticism such as yours based on first hand experience. My listening ability & appreciation is also improving through this.
Although you are not bothered about Tier groupings there are plenty more that do use it as a measure to help with buying decision. That's why i feel it's important to clarify that in my opinion & expressed by other owners these IEM's are able to compete with the so called top tier group. This is not blind praising of the IEM as we have nothing to personally gain from this. It's sharing a great unexpected find in the IEM market so that others can also enjoy it. It should be given the respect that it truly deserves. People should not be scared to praise it against top tiers as if it was some kind of blasphemy or just because it is relatively cheap. And when it is being  referred to as an average Joe IEM good for its price that is incorrect & should be pointed out as in my opinion that is misinformation. Like i said in an earlier post list me top tier IEM's that can do everything as well as the EPH & more. I still believe its worth lot more going by what top tier are offering. They are seriously overpriced or this is a way too big a bargain. People should buy this IEM because its very good at what it delivers & not because of it price. It is wiping the floor with the competition if you take price into account. Monster Trumpets same design etc at £300+ in UK.  

From what you experienced so far with them do you think that their sound quality & build is worth only £80/$115 dollars not a whole lot more ?
In other words could Yamaha have priced them higher & maintained the competition ?

I believe the lack of marketing drive by Yamaha & price is what mentally holds some people back from buying it even after reading impressions from experienced individuals. Its what regrettably made me ignore them for a month. I was convinced I had to shop £200+ to have satisfying sound quality.

Whilst I think that you have made some good points, I certainly don't think that people are too scared to praise them against top tiers. Scared of what? I think it's more likely that people are relatively new to this IEM and are giving them time to burn-in, whilst their brain adapts too. This is certainly true of myself anyhow.

I've said this many times now - the EPH-100 is excellent value for money at this price point - but to say that it is wiping the floor with the competition at this price point is simply codswallop. To make such a judgment you'd have to have all of these IEMs on hand to do proper A/Bing. There are some very capable phones at this price point and in theory they are all comparable to the true top tiers (RE-262s, B2s, FXT90s, GR-07s, TF10s and yes, the EPH-100s) but I think it is more useful for people to first and foremost read about comparisons with each other. I will be be doing this in full when my GR-07s come back, and actually consider this price-point to be the most exciting price-point on the tier ladder.     

The head-fiers who I've met are not significantly affected by marketing (or lack of) - that's one of the reasons why they're here in the first place - to research products and make informed decisions on objective advice and on others personal experience. I've not yet met a person who holds back from a purchase due to the item not being adequately marketed... in stark contrast, I've met plenty of people who have held back from a purchase due to suspicions about bold statements and over-hype. In fact, I've had plenty of PMs specifically about this, from people interested in the Yamaha but put off by the hype.  

I want people to know about these great phones as much as the next man. They're my favorite at the moment, and probably will be for a good while yet., and that's that's largely thanks to you Archy121 - thanks.
beerchug.gif

Quote:
One last question springs to mind, I have rather small ear canals, with Sony Hybrids I prefer the smallest SS size and a small size in general with Sennheiser tips as well, from the pictures the tips on these look huge! Need I worry about that?

Not at all. There are 6 different sizes, the smallest of which are very small. They are the most comfortable IEMs I own.
k701smile.gif

Quote:
Sounds like the EH-100's are similar to the Tandems?
If you've heard IE80, how do they differ vs EH-100?

Thanks

I have not heard either so cannot comment. However, I think a comparison was done with the IE8s at the start of the thread.

Has any other EPH-100s owners had experience of the above phones?

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #343 of 4,690

Quote:

wink_face.gif

Lol... I can certainly relate to that my friend.
wink.gif
These things do have a habit of taking over.

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #344 of 4,690

Quote:
I think that' just asking for heart breaks.*

Look you found an IEM that does the genre of music you love brilliantly.. Its got your head moving & feet tapping than you want to take it apart & look for imperfections

That's like having a beautiful woman in your arms that you could fall in love with happily forever & than deciding to see if you can spot facial hair.

Come on guys... music is for enjoying the moment.

These were never meant to be analytical IEM's.

Take them for what they are & just enjoy else you will never be happy with owning a single IEM which seems to be the case with a few people on head-fi

I think Miow meant listen them more objectively / critically, so he could provide further feedback for potential buyers. I know that's what I'm doing. It's bloody hard though... these things are just so damn musical and immersive
beyersmile.png

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #345 of 4,690

Quote:
I think that' just asking for heart breaks...That's like having a beautiful woman in your arms that you could fall in love with happily forever & than deciding to see if you can spot facial hair.
And there's a good chance you might....

*Cough cough* i2ehan, james444, ericp10 *cough cough*

Quote:

The head-fiers who I've met are not significantly affected by marketing (or lack of) - that's one of the reasons why they're here in the first place - to research products and make informed decisions on objective advice and on others personal experience. I've not yet met a person who holds back from a purchase due to the item not being adequately marketed... in stark contrast, I've met plenty of people who have held back from a purchase due to suspicions about bold statements and over-hype. In fact, I've had plenty of PMs specifically about this, from people interested in the Yamaha but put off by the hype.  

I appreciate your objectivity 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back