Xonar Essence ST Sneak Peek
Jul 1, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #242 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I meant "DAC" as a device

I quoted some commercial units in brackets. the ones which uses the ICs that listed should be true NOS, if they dont use a SRC.

Quote:

and anyway, OS improves the post-filtering and decreases aliasing....what could possibly be wrong w/ that.

Nothing on paper and on the scope. In practice, there are lot of issues, in particular metallic sound and HF harsness. The analog post-filtering instead create a nice veil on the sound.

Jul 2, 2009 at 9:14 AM Post #243 of 1,781
The ST is not arriving until 20/7
So depressing
triportsad.gif

Jul 4, 2009 at 9:34 AM Post #245 of 1,781
ok I got the board...finally
mad_overclocker.gif

the HP out seems to snap 1/4" plugs perfectly fine.

I will be receiving the 7.1 daughter board next week, so I'll try that later on.

now I'm gonna put back my 49720HA, all kind of heatsinks, put back my big VGA cooler(that the STX was blocking)...and we're back on track baby
karnakhan.gif

Jul 4, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #247 of 1,781
quite frankly, you wanna capture all the 6 channels from SACD...a friend of mine did it w/ a Lynx2C soundcard in 24/192, cool stuff!

and this card has NE5532 on the inputs, not the best choice...but yeah, the SQ would be good anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

humm, the ST really seems to sound different from the STX....but well, it's brand new, will need a few days to settle in I guess
redface.gif

Jul 4, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #250 of 1,781
damn, the stereo image is drastically different from the STX...and yes, I've put back the STX in the meantime to be sure.

I was told that some ppl prefered the STX over the ST, I think I can understand why....it sounds clinical to the utmost. but well I like a sterile undistorted sound, my brain needs to get used to it I guess...and the card prolly needs some break-in as well
beerchug.gif

here's how it looks w/ heatsinks over the vital parts(DAC/HP amp/DSP/quartz PLL) and the three 49720(the 1ppm clock was too darn small to cover) :

the top left 49720 was poorly bent, I've done it a lot better afterwards
smily_headphones1.gif

PS: I'm hearing some slight stereo glitches I didn't get before, these were most likely partly masked by jitter
confused.gif

Jul 4, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #252 of 1,781
I think I start to understand what ppl mean when they say that a DAC sounds "liquid"...basically your brain doesn't have to cope w/ constant "turbulence", the sound simply flows
smily_headphones1.gif

w/ the 49720HA, the sound is scarily transparent
viiz.gif

so many more details, and so much less crossfeed that the STX at 44.1Khz....my ears are bleeding atm
domus.gif

I can only crave for the Asus Essence ST Super-Size Deluxe at this point
biggrin.gif

Jul 4, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #253 of 1,781
To those opamp swappers: I spent last night soldering up a bunch of new modules for testing. Ever unit required adapters as these were all surface mount chips, some required two units per module being single channel opamps.
I should be posting some tests results in a few days.

Jul 4, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #254 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I start to understand what ppl mean when they say that a DAC sounds "liquid"...basically your brain doesn't have to cope w/ constant "turbulence", the sound simply flows
smily_headphones1.gif

w/ the 49720HA, the sound is scarily transparent
viiz.gif

so many more details, and so much less crossfeed that the STX at 44.1Khz....my ears are bleeding atm
domus.gif

I can only crave for the Asus Essence ST Super-Size Deluxe at this point
biggrin.gif

so would you say that a stock ST > STx by a big margin?
or even possibly worth a price increase ($200-280?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back