XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player
Aug 4, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #3,722 of 5,194
Has anybody here compared the Xduoo X3 with the Cowon Plenue D? Could they be at the same level? Or close?
plenue d presentation is way cleaner than x3, x3 has more bass and warmth. Resolution wise, plenue d wins

Aug 7, 2016 at 5:33 AM Post #3,723 of 5,194
Hi,My Xduoo x3 won't turn on.I used it for a few days with no issues,but now doesn't react to anything. I can't even connect to PC,does nothing for reset button. The signal comes on, then shuts off.
I am adviceless.
Can somebody help please?!
Thank you.

Aug 7, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #3,724 of 5,194
Hi,My Xduoo x3 won't turn on.I used it for a few days with no issues,but now doesn't react to anything. I can't even connect to PC,does nothing for reset button. The signal comes on, then shuts off.
I am adviceless.
Can somebody help please?!
Thank you.

I would leave it connected to the charger for few hours and if it still doesn't work then, contact the seller perhaps for return/servicing.

Aug 7, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #3,725 of 5,194

Aug 8, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #3,726 of 5,194
After charging my X3 today, the player became hot.
Any body have such problem?
It happen 2 days ago but after turning it off for a while it became ok. But this time its really hot.
I opened the box and found that one of the chip, suspect a small square regulator is burning hot...

Aug 9, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #3,729 of 5,194
Here's a nice leather case worth trying for X3, it covers everything and prevents dust.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Handmade-Leather-Case-made-for-XDUOO-X3-with-SD-Card-Pocket-/131893700408?hash=item1eb57a2738:g:LMkAAOSwXrhXnGb9

Aug 9, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #3,731 of 5,194
Aug 11, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #3,733 of 5,194

Regarding the SQ with stock FW and Rockbox, a few people on the thread say the stock FW sounds better.  At the same time, there are some of us who think Rockbox sounds great so I don't think there is a general consensus on the issue.  I have not done much AB testing but I personally do not notice a difference on my Rockboxed X3 or Clip+ but perhaps I do not have a critical ear, YMMV.  One thing to note is that Rockbox does not allow for hi-res playback.

Rockbox can be installed regardless of which computer OS you use because everything is done on the microSD card.  I do not even have to connect the X3 to the computer, I just use a SD card reader.

But if you need to connect the X3 to your Mac, then yes it can be done, I think there is an issue with hidden files which is explained in the 1st post of this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/803844/rockbox-xduoo-x3

I think the trouble with Rockbox is choice. Too many screws to be turned. Some of the sound setting are not beneficial, subtle changes accumulate to a brew. If you know what to do and take your time Rockbox can sound great.

I have also found that the X3 is a bit picky regarding earphones. Some of my IEMs that sound great with the iBasso DX80 and DX90 do not so with the X3 and no amount of EQ can change that. When I plug the Phonon SBM-02 full size headphones (EQ off) in it shines however.

Aug 11, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #3,734 of 5,194
I think the trouble with Rockbox is choice. Too many screws to be turned. Some of the sound setting are not beneficial, subtle changes accumulate to a brew. If you know what to do and take your time Rockbox can sound great.

Thus is not really true. The default sound settings should not need adjustment except for EQ (and only if you personally feel the need to enable EQ).

Aug 12, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #3,735 of 5,194

Regarding the SQ with stock FW and Rockbox, a few people on the thread say the stock FW sounds better.  At the same time, there are some of us who think Rockbox sounds great so I don't think there is a general consensus on the issue.  I have not done much AB testing but I personally do not notice a difference on my Rockboxed X3 or Clip+ but perhaps I do not have a critical ear, YMMV.  One thing to note is that Rockbox does not allow for hi-res playback.

Rockbox can be installed regardless of which computer OS you use because everything is done on the microSD card.  I do not even have to connect the X3 to the computer, I just use a SD card reader.

But if you need to connect the X3 to your Mac, then yes it can be done, I think there is an issue with hidden files which is explained in the 1st post of this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/803844/rockbox-xduoo-x3

I have also found that the X3 is a bit picky regarding earphones. Some of my IEMs that sound great with the iBasso DX80 and DX90 do not so with the X3 and no amount of EQ can change that. When I plug the Phonon SBM-02 full size headphones (EQ off) in it shines however.

As a growing hi-res enthusiast, rockbox is a frustration I put myself through for 2 compelling reasons only.

1) I'm an X3 owner and I use a lot of small sd cards with just small sets of files for listening. Nearly always, those files are 44.1k.

2) Binaural compensation.

One thing that seems obvious to me, once we are in the world of the headphone and the earphone, is that the old "speakers" concept of LEFT Chanel and RIGHT Chanel, is not only no longer appropriate, it's detrimental.

I have no idea who came up with the Rockbox concept and main engine. Whoever it was, gets my respect for placing a high priority on the idea of what I'll call binaural correction sciences.

I can't claim to understand hardly any of it. I'm simply an enthusiast for binaural recording when I'm out nature recording or whatever. It's lead me to realise how much more absorbing a recording is to listen to ( wearing phones ) if it's stereo field information comes from the recorded source, in the first place, rather than a PAN knob on a mixer. Such subtly is almost completely wasted when reproduced via room speakers but is a "fidelity" enhancement when listening binaurally.

With rockbox I can do something as simple as reduce the stereo separation ( to 30%, in my case, right now ) as a listening problem solver, if nothing else. Many older recordings have a tendency to use Left and Right as either a lazy way to assemble a mix or as a gimmicky excitement thing. Why not?, they were trying to get as much thrill as they could out of a pair of wooden boxes.  In the binaural world of phones, it's a paradigm shift in the whole process, from microphone and source to earphone and listener. Every part of the process in between and including those two things, needs a realignment of purpose, to make the binaural listening experience pop into clear focus.

Here in this thread we are talking about a DAP option in that whole process. I'm new to DAPs and puzzled why there is such a shortfall in the operating systems of all DAPs I've tried or even read about here. It's amazing. It can't be that hard to have great software interfacing with the chips and the users. Turns out, it's a mess ! It's like electronic music instruments were before they got their heads together and came up with MIDI ( Musical Instrument Digital Interface ). DAPs, in general, need their own 'MIDI'. A standard worked out with everyone involved from chip makers to OS code writers, across, or above, the brands.

I don't understand the status of rockbox. Is it public domain ?

If there was a "midi" standard to work to, there could be a whole new area of opportunity in writing good OS code for digital audio players and more ( why not recorders, too ). We could have the best of both worlds. Hardware makers offering us good hardware and software makers offering us a bunch of options of how we interface with that hardware. What's holding that back ? . . . .

Whoever or whatever rockbox is, there needs to be a whole lot more going on in the "great OS" field than just rockbox. After all, in the Xduoo X3, we've got a case of a great hardware maker virtually incapable of putting out even a basic functional OS. I can't imagine Xduoo being resistant to the idea. Perhaps they could have a word around the chip makers and get them on board for a "midi" standard, soon, I hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back