XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player
Jul 24, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #3,691 of 5,194
  Hi.
It will take me waaaaay too long to read this whole thread so could people please answer my simple questions:

I'm considering this player to replace my cheapy Sansa Clip, which seems to be reaching the end of its days. I was hoping for better sound quality without much more money and this seemed a good player, my entire music collection is in FLAC format and I travel so the idea of two card slots is appealing so I don't have to compromise the collection so much. However, an obvious downpoint is the issue with playback speed. I read that the plater can be rockboxed but does this lower the quality of the sound? Would I be better to buy something like the FiiO X1 or is the sound still superior even after rockbox? I'm not sure how all of this works so I don;t know if the rockbox processing would result in the same kind of quality as my rockboxed Sansa Clip (which I would say is somewhat lacking). So, any reliable info on this would be great.

The other question, I can't find the answer on the rockbox site. Can I install rockbox onto this player using a mac?

thanks in advance!

Regarding the SQ with stock FW and Rockbox, a few people on the thread say the stock FW sounds better.  At the same time, there are some of us who think Rockbox sounds great so I don't think there is a general consensus on the issue.  I have not done much AB testing but I personally do not notice a difference on my Rockboxed X3 or Clip+ but perhaps I do not have a critical ear, YMMV.  One thing to note is that Rockbox does not allow for hi-res playback.

Rockbox can be installed regardless of which computer OS you use because everything is done on the microSD card.  I do not even have to connect the X3 to the computer, I just use a SD card reader.

But if you need to connect the X3 to your Mac, then yes it can be done, I think there is an issue with hidden files which is explained in the 1st post of this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/803844/rockbox-xduoo-x3

Jul 25, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #3,692 of 5,194
Last night I connected my X3 to my car's headunit via the line-out using the Aux cable and stock FW (version 1.1).  Loved the sound, just found out that my car's sound system wasn't that bad after all.  Then suddenly the X3's turned off without warning, even though the battery was around 80%.  Tried to power it on by pressing the power button but it didn't work.  However pressing the reset button using paper clip did work.  Then I found out the problem occurred when the player's trying to play songs in APE format.  I have one 32gb microSD filled mostly with FLAC files and rockbox-ed the X3.

Has anyone experienced the problem that I have with APE files and stock FW of X3?

Jul 25, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #3,693 of 5,194
I have some APE but don't think I ever had a problem. Lemme try it out for you just to be sure. APE is monkey's audio right? I'd imagine it might have come with a cue sheet in that case?

Sorry for kinda OT but where can I find more info on those Xduoo tube amps/when they'll be for sale?

Jul 25, 2016 at 5:43 AM Post #3,694 of 5,194
Yes APE is monkey's audio file.  I already split it by songs and in my X3's music folder (its folder structure is root - music - artist & album) there's no CUE file/sheets.  Thanks for trying it out.  It's not a major issue, I can always switch to rockbox, but the stock FW IMHO is more convenient for line-out.

Jul 25, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #3,695 of 5,194
  Hi, where did get that photos :D? Me personally - I like those designs. PS: do you have any idea if they will be released this year for customers? At least x5? Probably I can't afford x10 :wink: 

Greetings!

Be careful! Too many pictures in the following link:
http://www.erji.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=1936444&extra=page%3D1

Honestly I don't know the release date. When come to a new product, they will make some prototypes and send to audiophilers in China for feedback. If not good, there maybe a second turn. So it's a long process. 

Jul 25, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #3,698 of 5,194

Regarding the SQ with stock FW and Rockbox, a few people on the thread say the stock FW sounds better.  At the same time, there are some of us who think Rockbox sounds great so I don't think there is a general consensus on the issue.  I have not done much AB testing but I personally do not notice a difference on my Rockboxed X3 or Clip+ but perhaps I do not have a critical ear, YMMV.  One thing to note is that Rockbox does not allow for hi-res playback.

Just so that nobody gets confused, the rockboxed X3 plays hi-res files, but downsamples them.

Also, I'm also one of those people who thinks the rockboxed X3 sounds great. And that's a good thing, because I couldn't live with the stock X3's resume mode always restarting the last track played.

Jul 26, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #3,699 of 5,194
I think I'm being the biggest downer on Rockbox here lately, but I'd like to be a rockbox fan.

I love how the original people came up with such a huge leap forward in portable OSs. I hardly know how to use all the user variables in the system.

The Hi-Res domain is here and I'd like to see Rockbox keep up.

As a complete OS novice, I imagine the way rockbox adapts to different machines is by being constructed in such a way as to resemble a virtual machine running on top of a PC or whatever. I wonder how the audio bits are handled between ports ?  Ideally, the bits should be sent as directly as possible.  Also, what does rockbox use for clock speed ?.... I don't know, how directly is it in tight speed control?

Before I end, I've heard one good thing, so far, about Windows 10, against a lot of bad things. I read somewhere that the audio handling engine has been completely upgraded to handle hi-res audio directly without downsampling. I'm not well enough informed to know if that's even accurate.

Jul 26, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #3,700 of 5,194
  I think I'm being the biggest downer on Rockbox here lately, but I'd like to be a rockbox fan.

I love how the original people came up with such a huge leap forward in portable OSs. I hardly know how to use all the user variables in the system.

The Hi-Res domain is here and I'd like to see Rockbox keep up.

As a complete OS novice, I imagine the way rockbox adapts to different machines is by being constructed in such a way as to resemble a virtual machine running on top of a PC or whatever. I wonder how the audio bits are handled between ports ?  Ideally, the bits should be sent as directly as possible.  Also, what does rockbox use for clock speed ?.... I don't know, how directly is it in tight speed control?

Before I end, I've heard one good thing, so far, about Windows 10, against a lot of bad things. I read somewhere that the audio handling engine has been completely upgraded to handle hi-res audio directly without downsampling. I'm not well enough informed to know if that's even accurate.

My only real issue with the X3's rockbox port is it's
A) a closed source fork;
B) works on the hardware which is not as the same as working in harmony with the hardware for best results - this is why rockbox users find their volume level to be decreased or sound to be a bit flatter overall

I have iPods, Sansa Clips and other older DAPs all running rockbox, so personally I was not in any kind of a rush to have yet another device running the same OS.

Rockbox has never been as concerned with Hi-Res playback as premium DAPs and I don't see that changing unless the Rockbox community who is contributing to development starts caring about Hi-Res enough to implement it.

Rockbox is a little weird because it was made as an alternate firmware to replace the crappy OS on old Archos hard drive based players/recorders (recording has always been tied into Rockbox as a core feature) - after it was stable on Archos did they experiment with forking it to other platforms and fixing up whatever needed to be fixed to make it work on that device. iPods eventually got cracked and Rockbox eventually got stable on iPods, and as iPods represented the vast majority of consumer DAPs at the time, that helped to spead knowledge of Rockbox greatly.

10 years ago when iPod Rockbox support just hit the scene, it was missing several features, crashed frequently, and only ran on a few of the oldest iPod models. Was very unpolished and unfinished seeming.... very reminiscent of what we're going thru with the X3 now. except the only person doing anything for the X3 is XVortex who doesn't have any interest in working with the Rockbox team, so we basically are stuck with one half-finished port

I don't mean to insult XVortex or his efforts to make it run on the X3, i'm sure he has his reasons for not sharing the code with the Rockbox team, but it's not good for anyone in the long run as that Rockbox version he forked will become outdated sooner or later and will fall out of relevance. I am regretful he did not choose to work with the Rockbox team on this, especially as people on the Rockbox forum are properly working on a FiiO X1 port, which shares much hardware with the X3. However if the X1 port is stable first, then it wouldn't be hard to take what they did and port to the X3 from there...

Jul 26, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #3,701 of 5,194
Interestingly, it seems to me that the chip manufacturers are not being very accommodating, or maybe I'm wrong and it's the DAP makers, but the conversations I've read here with DAP makers, they are having a hard time finding rockbox friendly chip systems.

I would have expected quite the opposite trend towards larger memory for system control firmware.

Who's kidding who, here ?

Jul 26, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #3,702 of 5,194

My only real issue with the X3's rockbox port is it's
A) a closed source fork;
B) works on the hardware which is not as the same as working in harmony with the hardware for best results - this is why rockbox users find their volume level to be decreased or sound to be a bit flatter overall

I saw Vortex pushed more code to github, so hopefully that will change.  If not, pamaury has continued to work on the ingenic tree, so eventually hardware support will probably improve one way or the other.

As a complete OS novice, I imagine the way rockbox adapts to different machines is by being constructed in such a way as to resemble a virtual machine running on top of a PC or whatever.

Virtualization isn't possible on simple devices like mp3 players.  Many don't even support virtual memory, let alone a virtualized operating system.  Instead Rockbox is ported to each device, completely replacing whatever firmware was there with its own drivers.  (Exception is a handful of devices that run linux/android, in which case rockbox runs as an application using the underlying linux/android drivers).  

Quote:
  I wonder how the audio bits are handled between ports ?  Ideally, the bits should be sent as directly as possible.  Also, what does rockbox use for clock speed ?.... I don't know, how directly is it in tight speed control?

Since we are replacing the original firmware without own, all devices run essentially the same aside from minor hardware differences (e.g. not all devices support 48 kHz sampling rate). 

Jul 29, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #3,703 of 5,194
Not a good week for me! First, I realize the barrels on my Puros twist a little and Puro support refused to support since it's purchased from Ebay.

And now, I my X3 is draining real fast from around 70% battery. Happened twice so far while playing mp3 most of the time. Did anybody else experience this problem? I should try stock firmware and see if that helps but even when display was off for a while on a cold day, I noticed that my dap is getting warm. I guess battery is about to die. I hope not!

Jul 30, 2016 at 5:06 AM Post #3,704 of 5,194
Not a good week for me! First, I realize the barrels on my Puros twist a little and Puro support refused to support since it's purchased from Ebay.

And now, I my X3 is draining real fast from around 70% battery. Happened twice so far while playing mp3 most of the time. Did anybody else experience this problem? I should try stock firmware and see if that helps but even when display was off for a while on a cold day, I noticed that my dap is getting warm. I guess battery is about to die. I hope not!
[/quote i too have the same problem. Rockbox lasting 3.5 hours and stock lasting 8hours. Most people dont have this issue. So i am afraid, you may not geta solution.

Jul 30, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #3,705 of 5,194

[/quote i too have the same problem. Rockbox lasting 3.5 hours and stock lasting 8hours. Most people dont have this issue. So i am afraid, you may not geta solution.

Cool, I haven't had major issues with stock FW except weird shuffle issue but I'm relieved at this point that it is not hardware issue. I will also see if reflashing RB will help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back