XBA-3/ XBA-30 thread.
Dec 11, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #302 of 1,196
Quote:
It is a nice upgrade to the TF10 or the tributes. I own all of em. I only use my XBA-3s let me put it that way..At that price that is a great deal.

Cool, thanks. By the way, good job the thread. Very interesting read. 

Is the upgrade big enough to sell the TF10 and MDT? I like them both but have minor issues with both of them. TF10 sounds amazing but the fit can be an issue (right ear fits a bit loose) and I use the flipped wear method. TF10's highs are a bit too piercing for me at higher volumes, which gives me fatigue when I listen to them too long. MDT's sound is great but the soundstage and detail isn't nearly as good as the TF10. I do love the amount of bass on them though. Also, MDTs are pretty heavy for IEMs.

Thanks again for your input. I can't really spend another $130 on IEMs right now, but I'm willing to sell either my TF10 or MDT to fund a XBA-3 if they're really as good as you say they are. 
wink_face.gif

Dec 11, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #303 of 1,196
The technology is similar to the TF10 but the sound tuning is superior imo. The XBA-3 can sound sharp depending on source. These actually sound better with standard DAPs vs amping with more power..One of my favorites by far..These fix all the issues I had with the TF10s. Much easier and better fit for one. The mids are much more engaging on the XBA-3s. Sounds more high end to my ears vs them. More refined. I remember I had to pull out my TF10s for a comparison for another headfier and they are clearly lacking in comparison.

The bass end is nice on the TF10 for armatures and the great thing about the XBA-3 is these have a similar bass end. A bit better quality to my ears. They just sound more coherent and engaging over the TF10s..The TF10s are showing their age. I suppose when those came out they were the bees knees but not so much now a days. Sony clearly has the better tuning going on in these XBA-3. Heck I prefer my JVC FXD80 over the TF10. No comparison what so ever to the tributes. The XBA-3s are in a completely different league over them imo..The intimate staging with big bass don't work well for picking off details thats for sure. The XBA-3 has one of the best imagery for earphones. The tributes not so much..The reason why we are seeing more and more deals online for the previous XBA line is because Sony released the new XBA-30s. Which I would love to hear to see if there are any improvements.

Dec 11, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #304 of 1,196
Just thought I'd amuse you guys by saying I'm sitting on a train in Tokyo listening to music with my XBA-3s from my iPhone at the moment. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #305 of 1,196
Nice. By the way I will have my FXZ100 and FXZ200 here by the end of this week. Can't wait. 

If you get a chance Currawong, you gotta try out a XBA-30 somewhere there when you get a chance, to see if there is any difference in the tuning.. I am gonna guess more mids focus but otherwise the same as the XBA-3.

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #306 of 1,196
Quote:
The technology is similar to the TF10 but the sound tuning is superior imo. The XBA-3 can sound sharp depending on source. These actually sound better with standard DAPs vs amping with more power..One of my favorites by far..These fix all the issues I had with the TF10s. Much easier and better fit for one. The mids are much more engaging on the XBA-3s. Sounds more high end to my ears vs them. More refined. I remember I had to pull out my TF10s for a comparison for another headfier and they are clearly lacking in comparison.

The bass end is nice on the TF10 for armatures and the great thing about the XBA-3 is these have a similar bass end. A bit better quality to my ears. They just sound more coherent and engaging over the TF10s..The TF10s are showing their age. I suppose when those came out they were the bees knees but not so much now a days. Sony clearly has the better tuning going on in these XBA-3. Heck I prefer my JVC FXD80 over the TF10. No comparison what so ever to the tributes. The XBA-3s are in a completely different league over them imo..The intimate staging with big bass don't work well for picking off details thats for sure. The XBA-3 has one of the best imagery for earphones. The tributes not so much..The reason why we are seeing more and more deals online for the previous XBA line is because Sony released the new XBA-30s. Which I would love to hear to see if there are any improvements.

Awesome write-up. Thank you.

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #307 of 1,196
Quote:
Awesome write-up. Thank you.

Yes, dsnuts is indeed good lol! He convinced me to get my xba3's, and I'm very happy that he did - they are awesome.

Quote:
Just thought I'd amuse you guys by saying I'm sitting on a train in Tokyo listening to music with my XBA-3s from my iPhone at the moment. 
biggrin.gif

And having Currawong endorsing the xba3's doesn't hurt either (after all, Currawong is watching lol!).

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #308 of 1,196
So, Click, you gonna buy them?  Thanks for pointing me to the Groupon deal.  I had a pair of TripleFi, but I can't TripleFind them.  I have a pair of s4i (the Reference version) but the cable drives me nuts.  After reading Dsnuts (Ween fan?) and WAYNENUMM (sure, I'll make another Ween allusion), I'm ready to grab that Groupon on the XBA-3ip.  Go on.  Someone push me over the cliff.  
Quote:
I finally created an account specifically to notify people Groupon has the XBA-3iP on sale for $130: 

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-sony-balanced-armature-in-ear-headphones?c=all&p=33

I've been a long-time lurker on Head-fi. Currently own TF10 and Miles Davis Tributes. How does the XBA-3 compare with those IEMs? Thanks guys. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #309 of 1,196
Quote:
So, Click, you gonna buy them?  Thanks for pointing me to the Groupon deal.  I had a pair of TripleFi, but I can't TripleFind them.  I have a pair of s4i (the Reference version) but the cable drives me nuts.  After reading Dsnuts (Ween fan?) and WAYNENUMM (sure, I'll make another Ween allusion), I'm ready to grab that Groupon on the XBA-3ip.  Go on.  Someone push me over the cliff.  

Like I said, I can't afford to buy more IEMs right now, but I'm going to pull the trigger.

I love the SQ, detail, and soundstage of TF10s but the fit and piercing highs have bothered me since I got them 2 years ago. I mainly use my MDTs for music these days since the bass is so awesome and it's more mellow / musical / warmer than the TF10s. TF10 is used for movies, gaming, and more analytical listening. Hopefully the XBA-3 can replace the TF10. Going by what most people have been saying in this thread, it seems like it can do that just fine.

The only thing making me hesitant is the fact I've never purchased anything from Groupon before. I know they're a legit site, but never knew they sold products before. $130 is a great deal though for the XBA-3iP. I generally don't like J cables, so the Y cable plus volume control and mic will be a major bonus.

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #310 of 1,196
Yeah, I'm proabably going to grab them, too.  I just noticed something interesting, although the point is moot:  Amazon has matched the prices of the XBA2-IP and the XBA-BT75.  Unfortunately, only second parties are selling the XBA-3 and those prices are still sitting high.  I've never bought products from Groupon either, but I wouldn't have any worries.  It is worth confirming warranty and perhaps return policy, though.  I haven't read the fine print.  

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Quote:

Like I said, I can't afford to buy more IEMs right now, but I'm going to pull the trigger.

I love the SQ, detail, and soundstage of TF10s but the fit and piercing highs have bothered me since I got them 2 years ago. I mainly use my MDTs for music these days since the bass is so awesome and it's more mellow / musical / warmer than the TF10s. TF10 is used for movies, gaming, and more analytical listening. Hopefully the XBA-3 can replace the TF10. Going by what most people have been saying in this thread, it seems like it can do that just fine.

The only thing making me hesitant is the fact I've never purchased anything from Groupon before. I know they're a legit site, but never knew they sold products before. $130 is a great deal though for the XBA-3iP. I generally don't like J cables, so the Y cable plus volume control and mic will be a major bonus.

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #311 of 1,196
Quote:
Yeah, I'm proabably going to grab them, too.  I just noticed something interesting, although the point is moot:  Amazon has matched the prices of the XBA2-IP and the XBA-BT75.  Unfortunately, only second parties are selling the XBA-3 and those prices are still sitting high.  I've never bought products from Groupon either, but I wouldn't have any worries.  It is worth confirming warranty and perhaps return policy, though.  I haven't read the fine print.  

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Yeah, Amazon still has the regular XBA-3, but for $278. 
mad.gif

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #313 of 1,196
Quote:
If you're comfortable with it I can cancel the return of my XBA-3IP and sell it to you for $220 what I paid for it.  I can't give you a return policy, but I was gentle and even repackaged it so meticulously that you would think it was never opened. :p  Just offering.  Either way I get my $220  back :)  If you're not sure if you will like it a return might be nice though...

You must've missed my first post in this thread and forum on the last page.  
smile.gif

Thanks though.

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #315 of 1,196
I'm surprised there's quite a few that like the XBA-3 more than the TF10 which I think is better.  I really think the TF10's I had sounded different than others because my mids weren't really recessed at all and I can tell if they were and the highs were also quite laid back compared to say the Heir 3.Ai and T-Peos H-100.

To me the XBA-3 didn't sound as tight and cohesive as the TF10 and I liked the soundstage a bit more with the TF10 also.  If you can find the XBA-3 for under $200 than that's a good deal but at around $200 and over there's much better options imo like the e-Q5, Heaven IV and even the BA200 which is only $150 though if bass is what you want than the XBA-3 is good but if you haven't heard the Heaven IV you'd be shocked at how much bass that single BA has, by far more than any single BA I've heard and I doubt there's really any that would have more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back