Wyred4Sound DAC-2: Talk me out of getting one...
Dec 3, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #31 of 44

Quote:
Have you considered getting the DAC1, it's $500 dollars cheaper and probably sounds the same as the DAC2.

In the 6moons review, the DAC2 is better if you have blu-ray audio or downloaded hi-res audio.

I only have standard MP3s and CDs, so I can't really use the more advanced processing on the DAC2.

You would think audio would move to the more advance, longer bit direction, but look as what happened to DVD-A and SACD.

I haven't listened to either, I just saying from reading the 6moons review.

DAC-1 and DAC-2 should sound the same. DAC-2 basically have more features especially for computer audio. Therefore, the DAC-2 is more convenient for hi-res audio. I've never heard of bluray audio, but I have listened to DVD audio once.

According to the Wyred 4 Sound website, what is "1x Balanced I2S input via HDMI cable (not standard HDMI cable format)?"

Dec 6, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #32 of 44

Quote:
Hm, I have D2000s which have 25 ohm impedance, even lower than the DX1000.  I thought higher impedance phones would be harder to drive straight out of a DAC?

Also, do you have any other impressions of the DAC-2?  How do you think the USB and coax outputs sound with headphones compared to other DACs you've tried?

That's not true. If the output impedence is too high, you will get bass rolloff with low impedence headphones. 

Dec 7, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #33 of 44

I can't comment on the W4S that I haven't heard, but I can at least confirm you that the adaptive USB input on the Lavry, while not bad, is nothing to write about (tested with different USB cables). Instead, used through coax with both Hiface async USB/SPDIF converter and lastely the Audiophilleo2 did provide a major improvement in sound quality. If you finally choose the Lavry DA11, please bear in mind you might need some quality USB/SPDIF converters to get the most out of it. By the way, the sound of the DA11 is fantastic to my ears (smooth, natural, realistic, organic, wide soundstage and excellent imaging), and you will always be able to tweak it according to your preferences with different power cables. 

If you need a decent headphone amp, it is a very solid recommendation. You might also consider the upcoming Luxman DA200 which features all you are asking for (not sure about a remote control feature though).

Quote:

Now I'm starting to lean back towards the DA-11, because it has far more impressions from headphone users who listen unamped out of the outputs, and its USB output may be better than I thought.  The 6moons review really dogged the DA-11's USB output, but that was in a speaker setup and possibly with a long cable.

Dec 7, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #34 of 44
Thanks for giving your impressions.  The mixed reviews about the DA-11's USB output is making me think it would be more cost-effective to get a DA-10 and just use a Coax-USB converter.  What differences do you notice between how the DA-11's USB output sounds and how its S/PDIF output sounds?

So you're very satisfied with the DA-11's headphone output?  Have you tried it with any external amps, and if so are there significant improvements?

Feb 7, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #35 of 44

Interesting, as a PS Audio DLIII owner, I also expect level IV mod and halide bridge to be awesome. When the W4S Dac-2 rolled in this year, I got lost in thoughts after reading 6Moons review. Both DAC's are made in Paso Robles, so it is difficult to decide if I'd like to sell my DLIII in the future and purchase DAC-2, or continue to upgrade to mod IV and purchase halide design. It would be great if I can have both, but my piggy bank says no.

I am in a similar spot. I have a Mac mini feeding a PS Audio III w/ Cullen IV mods which in turn delivers to the RSA Apache, driving a few cans but almost always my HD800s.

What I am trying to decide now is between adding a Halide Designs Bridge, or springing for the W4S DAC-2. Decisions, decisions.

Feb 8, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #36 of 44

Quote:
 I am in a similar spot. I have a Mac mini feeding a PS Audio III w/ Cullen IV mods which in turn delivers to the RSA Apache, driving a few cans but almost always my HD800s.What I am trying to decide now is between adding a Halide Designs Bridge, or springing for the W4S DAC-2. Decisions, decisions.

I would go with either a HiFace EVO or Audiophilleo 2 over the Halide myself based on everything I read. I think a good low jitter S/PDIF feed into the Cullen DLIII would be close to the W4S. Maybe we are more demanding now, but I have read a few dissenting opinions about the sound of the DAC-2 recently, but the Cullen modded DLIII have a pretty universal positive rep in the marketplace. I actually started at looking at one of those used before ordering a DAC-2, and then cancelling that and buying the new Rega DAC wtih a M2Tech HiFace EVO S/PDIF converter. I have no idea how a new Rega compares to a Cullen DLIII, but I'm happy. 

If it were me, I'd get a good USB-S/PDIF converter and keep the Cullen. Based on my research the converter options were:

Empirical Audio Offramp 4 - probably the best, but gets expensive optioned out
AR-T Legato - limited to Red Book 44k, but likely the best if that is all you listen too. Reasonable cost
HiFace EVO - good value with upgrade path via PS options
Audiophilleo - interesting, but seemed to be ultimately limited vis USB bus power
Wavelength Audio Wavelink HS - SOTA async USB, but bus powered. Good rep but not widely reviewed

I went for the EVO. If all I had was 16/44, I would go for the Legato in a hearbeat.

Feb 8, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #37 of 44
Good overview khollister. I looked at the Empirical Offramp, but much like the Pace Car, the options ratchet the price up in a hurry. This discussion over at Computer Audiphile--where the Halide Design Bridge is still a C.A.S.H. list component, IIRC—comparing the EVO and Audiophilleo, is quite interesting. But I am not sure it's quite enough to sway me away from the W4S.

Anyway, the Audiophilleo 1 is quite interesting, and I may yet try it with my DL III, just to see. Appreciate the suggestion.

Feb 8, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #38 of 44
While all the bus-powered stuff is convenient, I'm not convinced it isn't a significant compromise. A guy with an Audiophilleo on CA did get better results by using a separate PS and a USB breakout cable with it. The Audiophilleo 2 is the model 1 without the touch screen & volume control for $500 - a better deal in my opinion. Still USB powered though, and rather outspoken guy that designed the Legato doesn't think too much of it for whatever that's worth. 

I have seen some measurements of the Halide jitter somewhere that weren't too impressive

Feb 8, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #39 of 44

While all the bus-powered stuff is convenient, I'm not convinced it isn't a significant compromise. A guy with an Audiophilleo on CA did get better results by using a separate PS and a USB breakout cable with it. The Audiophilleo 2 is the model 1 without the touch screen & volume control for $500 - a better deal in my opinion. Still USB powered though, and rather outspoken guy that designed the Legato doesn't think too much of it for whatever that's worth. 

I have seen some measurements of the Halide jitter somewhere that weren't too impressive

I came across what I suspect are similar jitter measurements for the Halide Designs bridge, and I have to agree, for the price, they are not in the same league as some of the other units. As or the Legato, outspoken or not, the Audiophilleo comparison chart speaks volumes. In either case, they are both competitors vying for business.

I will say this: the differences between the Audiphilleo 1 and 2 are more than just the volume control and screen. There are some worthwhile features in my view that the 1 provides that neither the 2 nor Legato does. 

Feb 8, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #40 of 44
at a recent local event, I did hear the w4s DACs straight into headphones (with a custom cable). excellent stuff, go for it. (full disclosure: I ordered something from them this week myself)

Feb 8, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #42 of 44

That's actually one of the factors that so attracted me to W4S. However, I took some of the advice I received here, and ended up just ordering an Audiophilleo 1. Worst case scenario out of all this is that I either still decide to sell my DAC, or I am happy enough to see what this current round of intense competition between asynchronous DACs like the Ayre and the W4S produces over the next 12-24 months. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back