Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.
May 20, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #1,081 of 4,363
Use no cleaning fluids on an assembled capsule or bare capsule. I use a very slightly damp anti-bacterial to wipe down all parts separately. I make sure it is almost dried out before using it anywhere near the actual capsule. When I do, I wrap the thin cloth tight around my index finger and wipe areas softly. The slight dampness picks up any crumbled foam residue and clears marks from the driver cover. Apart from this though, the rest is best left alone. I could have written off loads of HD540IIs if I got too over-zealous.

May 21, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #1,083 of 4,363
Since I became a Fan of these Headphones I bought them all to compare...

Reference Gold
Reference 300 Ohm
Reference 600 Ohm 
Reference II 300 Ohm

the best sounding ones seem to be the Gold and the Reference 600 Ohm... Cant tell the same about Reference II... is there a 600 Ohm Version of the Reference II too?... Does anyone know the prices they where sold back in the 80s and 90s?...I tested them all with the same Velours pad from Hifiman... these pads are the best fitting and most similar to the original velours from sennheiser. Until now the 600 Ohm beats the 300 Ohm in sense of bass.

May 21, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #1,084 of 4,363
Since I became a Fan of these Headphones I bought them all to compare...

Reference Gold
Reference 300 Ohm
Reference 600 Ohm 
Reference II 300 Ohm

the best sounding ones seem to be the Gold and the Reference 600 Ohm... Cant tell the same about Reference II... is there a 600 Ohm Version of the Reference II too?... Does anyone know the prices they where sold back in the 80s and 90s?...I tested them all with the same Velours pad from Hifiman... these pads are the best fitting and most similar to the original velours from sennheiser. Until now the 600 Ohm beats the 300 Ohm in sense of bass.

Hey guys. I'm considering ever more trying this hd540 to compare to my hd560II. Anyone as any interest in a trade?

May 22, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #1,085 of 4,363

..I tested them all with the same Velours pad from Hifiman... these pads are the best fitting and most similar to the original velours from sennheiser. 

These stock velours? Are they easy to work with with regard to inserting the 540 rings?

Hey guys. I'm considering ever more trying this hd540 to compare to my hd560II. Anyone as any interest in a trade?

We can plan a temporary trade in June if you haven't found somebody else by then.

May 22, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #1,086 of 4,363

These stock velours? Are they easy to work with with regard to inserting the 540 rings?

Very easy.
Actually too easy...
If you try to pull the pads off, you'll most likely leave behind the plastic rings still attached.

I only tried the pleather hifiman pads, but they're basically the same.

May 22, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #1,088 of 4,363
forgot to mention the gold are also 300 Ohm... 

(still waiting for a response on my question) =D

the hifiman velours and leather pads fit perfectly... but leather sound a bit dull... better use the velours... they sound like the original
sennheiser velours... ! they wont fall off... no need to worry. buy them you wont regret... 

May 22, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #1,090 of 4,363
forgot to mention the gold are also 300 Ohm... 

(still waiting for a response on my question) =D

the hifiman velours and leather pads fit perfectly... but leather sound a bit dull... better use the velours... they sound like the original
sennheiser velours... ! they wont fall off... no need to worry. buy them you wont regret... 
I don't think there ever was a 600ohm version of the ref 2 but I've might be mistaken. Can you post pictures of the hifiman velour pads on the hd540? They fit exactly like the Sennheiser pad?
The only thing that keeps me from buying these are the lack of substitute earpads.

May 22, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #1,092 of 4,363
  But the pads sit firm on the headphone once attached? Did you notice any changes compared to stock 540 pads GREQ?

Yeah, they sit on almost perfectly. 
I guess I will try out the velour at some point, but the pleather pad killed the soundstage and 'air' a little and brought up the bass response quite nicely.
A fair trade-off actually, all things considered.

EDIT - Just tried out the Hifiman velours. These give a warmer sound than stock pads. Also some air and splashy treble is lessened/tamed. Overall not a bad trade off either.
Hifiman pads are definitely the best alternatives I've tried to stock pads.

Curious about the HD540II stock pads now.

May 22, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #1,093 of 4,363
agree with GREQ... have no pictures but I can assure you hifimans are the best I found until now too...

any info about the HD540II 600 Ohm version ... and the possibility to change remove the speakers from the earcups without damaging them?...

May 23, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #1,094 of 4,363
Cheers fellas. Maybe I'll try the velours sometime soon.

@Kjuiss, I'm with Ortherion on this. Don't think a 600 ohm Ref II exists. About pricing, I had a brochure once and remember specifically that the 540 II was around the €125 mark at introduction. 

May 23, 2015 at 4:40 AM Post #1,095 of 4,363
  Cheers fellas. Maybe I'll try the velours sometime soon.

@Kjuiss, I'm with Ortherion on this. Don't think a 600 ohm Ref II exists. About pricing, I had a brochure once and remember specifically that the 540 II was around the €125 mark at introduction. 

I think the 600 Ohm Version of the Ref I beats the Ref II and the Gold version... does anyone agree with me on this? =D 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back