Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.
May 6, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #1,052 of 4,363
Thanks for the kind words.
Actually despite the fact these pads are brimming with foam, the fabric edges still touch skin.
It's not perfect but nothing in this hobby is. 

May 6, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #1,054 of 4,363
Do you think the 540 II pads are better at extending the bass response?
Or do they offer about the same sound as the original pads?

May 6, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #1,055 of 4,363
HD540II refoamed pads offer roughly the same performance. Similar bass weight (neutral scaling but quantity limited by small driver size) but I feel that the HD540II velours offer the most spatial imaging as well as being the easiest to clean/rework.

May 13, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #1,057 of 4,363

Any further impressions on your pads or revisions in the works?

Honestly, nothing special to report.

I think they're actually still too uncomfortable, when the side fabric brushes against my skin around the edges. 
But as usual I forget about it if I don't move my head around too much, so using them at my PC works fine.

I think I was a little bit too negative about the bass. I still think there should be more of it, but it's still thoroughly textured and enjoyable.
The timbre is killer.
Some elevated high-mids make everything sound a touch 'present' which can sound bright at first, but it's not a negative trait.

Overall I still prefer my vintage DT-990, even though it's possibly less resolving (which is at the office) so the 540 is my 'high-end' beater for home use, which is perfect for chilled out gaming, youtube with some background music.
If I want to focus on the music, I'll switch to the HE-500 or T20RP. 

May 13, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #1,058 of 4,363
To have lambskin on these is pure luxury. And what a plan it is! The pads thickness on my pair is decreased by like 40-45% and could do with a make over. Subtle hint
rolleyes.gif

Some back and forth for the past hour and I am enjoying these headphones more than the HD800's. They're just so damn snappy and airy. A breeze.

May 13, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #1,059 of 4,363
May 13, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #1,062 of 4,363
  I still prefer my HE-500 overall, especially in the bass department which is the ONLY place the HD540 lacks IMO. It has the texture but not the volume to satisfy a truly 'neutral' presentation; there's just too much roll-off.
HE-500 maintains a pleasing level of slam into the lowest bass notes that give a similar level of impact to real bass notes and instruments. 
HD540 might have simply been tuned for the ears of older folks with failing treble sensitivity.

Two months passed since and probably nothing changed about your opinion. Or has it? It's that I have a renewed interest in planars and may want to give them another chance. I also noticed you have the Emotiva mini-x a-100 probably to drive the HE-500. Newly imported from the US I take it? 

May 13, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #1,063 of 4,363

Two months passed since and probably nothing changed about your opinion. Or has it? It's that I have a renewed interest in planars and may want to give them another chance. I also noticed you have the Emotiva mini-x a-100 probably to drive the HE-500. Newly imported from the US I take it? 

Funny you should bring up the Emotiva.
Actually had it for over half a year, and it's pretty much fallen out of use. 
The sheer inconvenience of it makes me want to sell it. Should have got rid of it already.

The difference between the HE-500 amped on the Objective2 and mini-x a100 IS AUDIBLE, but it's not a big enough difference enough for me to give up lots of desk space and faff around with so many cables.
Should actually put it up in the 'for sale' thread soon! 

The only gain is more control and texture in the bass, and PERHAPS a cleaner treble response. Most of my listening is passive since I do usually do something else WHILE listening to music, so incremental steps in performance don't mean much to me.
It's all about the overall flavour and presentation, not the fine details.
I'm thinking about replacing it with that Chinese brand (can't remember the name right now) that does those budget amp/dac combos, since I need something with oomph to drive my vintage orthos too.

But I digress... my opinion has not changed. If anything, my faith in planars has only got stronger in the past few weeks. 

May 13, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #1,064 of 4,363
HD540 is the result of old driver technology that was implemented exceedingly well. It was designed for a high resolution, transparent and neutral sonic representation; to have a likeness of the original recording. Driver fabrication techniques have been given the time and attention to improve over the years since the HD540's introduction so some drivers such as the HD800's have the potential to be better in all aspects. Phase fidelity seems to be where hi-fi has gone low-fi. Analogue media like vinyl tend to be very musically engaging especially if mastered well, because I think you will find that the medium is very faithful to phase response. Sadly, the same probably cannot be said for poorly implemented digital audio... All the audiophile mindset stays on is dynamic range and frequency response, both of which do not determine an engaging musical sound. At least I'm now starting to understand why some music lovers use vinyl for the heightened emotional immersion. Anyway, back to the HD540...

What I feel that the HD540 demonstrates well is the poor calibration of most headphones today; most models are simply not calibrated to provide a transparent, balanced response; and it's not just the frequencies either... Phase response is just as important in order to give an engaging musical sound but many models have a flat boring sound. By "flat" here, I'm not referring to the frequency representation, I instead mean that the sound is musically withdrawn and lacks an engaging quality. For example, K550 and HD800 both have a well-balanced sound yet are both quite boring. Have today's sound engineers lost an understanding of what it feels like to be immersed in a fluid sound?? To experience a sound that literally feels like it's leaping from the speaker diaphragms with spectacular, neutral coherence, achieving an almost lifelike three-dimensional presence...

It's difficult to fully explain what I mean so I guess it's pointless for me to grumble about it here.

I agree with GREQ; the HD540 is excellent but could do with a little more bass weight (what the HD800 achieves). I still highly recommend it though. Exquisitely faithful tonality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back