World of Headphones Tour Boston
Jun 14, 2002 at 4:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

DanG

Headphoneus Supremus
Audio&Me and I were lucky enough to be picked as volunteers for the Boston Headroom show last evening. To those of you volunteering in future shows: don't worry, it's really quite easy. Set-up and pack-up were both quite easy and painless. Since I wore a Headroom shirt and sat at the Etymotic table a lot of the time, I ended up helping a lot of people with the Eties and answering the questions that people didn't get to ask Tyll (who was all over the place, as usual).

Anyway, I'd heard most of this stuff before last year but in a louder room with more people and with worse digital sources. This year the high-end rack uses a BAT VK-D5SE ($4000 or $5000), while the all-Headroom-headphone-amp rack uses a Meridian 588 with the 24-bit DAC (is there even a 20-bit version of this one?). I didn't get a good listen to any Stax equipment this time, but rather concentrated on closer comparisons to which I had been looking forward. I'll list comparisons followed by my impressions from the meet.

Music used
I guess it's important to list this first, so you can keep in mind what I was using to get these results.

Miles Davis -- Kind of Blue
Gustav Mahler -- Symphony no.7
Beethoven string quartets (don't remember which ones, they're upstairs, I'm lazy)
Mozart string quintet in G minor
Thelonious Monk -- Live at the "It" Club

Etymotic ER-6
I had really been looking forward to these headphones. I have the ER-4S which sounds wonderful to my ears and which has great isolation. I was happy to find that the ER-6 is more comfortable than the ER-4S. But that's about where the compliments for these babies end.

Overall, I was very disappointed. Some people said they were close to the performance of the ER-4S, others made the more modest claim that they were an equal value to the ER-4S at the price of $129. I really couldn't confirm either of these findings.

I bought the ER-4S because they had great isolation. That's it -- that's the only reason I bought them, since it was the only way I would be able to listen to music on an airplane or a long and noisy bus ride (3-1/2 hours each way to and from college). It was an added bonus that the 4S easily matches the prowess of other headphones I've had -- excepting perhaps the Alessandro MS Pro.

The ER-6 provided almost zero isolation -- about the same as the V6, which some say provides enough isolation. Not for me -- it's not comparable to the ER-4S in any way. Furthermore, the sound was very much muffled (none of the crystal clear highs of the 4S), the bass sounded boomy (not precise and taut as with the 4S).

To be fair, I was expecting headphones that could possible rival the ER-4S after hearing all the hype from others. While the headphones didn't meet my expectations, they do cost just less than half as much as the 4S. The sound isn't bad -- when I say boomy bass, I mean compared to the 4S, not the V600. Maybe I could live with these headphones... but it ended up being a moot point for me, as I wouldn't have any reason to buy an extra pair of earbuds that don't really isolate all that much.

Cardas vs. Stefan AudioArt Equinox HD600 cables
I listened to both hooked up to the same Headroom Max, which was hooked up to the BAT VK-D5SE on the High-End rack. I think it would be fair to say I heard what Jude heard as opposed to those who contradicted his review. The Cardas seemed to have more-extended treble with a clearer perhaps shinier response (without glare, luckily), while the Stefan had slightly bloomier midrange but not as much frequency extension. My preferences coincided with the Cardas cable, and I'm happy that that's the one I bought. It costs 3/4 as much as the Stefan, too.
wink.gif

Headroom Max vs. Headroom Blockhead
I wanted to get a second listen to these two guys side-by-side since last year, while I listened to both, I didn't pay too much attention to the Max and never did a side-by-side. I got a chance this time, luckily, using the Cardas balanced cable on the Blockhead and the Cardas cable on the Max too.

Both are great amps but I found they had quite different sonic characteristics, despite both using the same circuit boards. The Max, as many have said, is a smooth amp whose only fault, I felt, was that it lacked some air in the top end and was perhaps a little (and I mean a little) dulled -- not as sweet as my Melos, for example.

The Blockhead was very neutral and precise. It had real bass authority and crystal-clear highs. However, it bordered on the analytical side. Tyll said at the meet his goal with his equipment is to pass along the signal unchanged. I think the Blockhead does this in terms, perhaps, of the notes played... but perhaps not the life instilled to them. I know Tyll might disagrees strongly with me here, but I find that I feel more of the music, the emotion, with the various tube amps, whether it's the Melos or the Cary 300SEI. Maybe it just needs the right CD player (Cary 306/200? Just a hint.
wink.gif
).

Which did I prefer? Hm... let's put it this way -- I don't think I need to spend over $1k, let alone almost $2000 or more, when I've got what I need with my Melos already.

Audio&Me's Meta42, made by eric343
Here was a real treat of an amp... apparently costing just over $300, this little sucker provided sweet sound with decent bass. I mainly compared it to my Melos, which may be an unfair comparison, but the Meta was in a different league from the portable amps we had at my house. On my Marantz CD6000 OSE (using Senn HD600 w/ Cardas), compared to the Melos, highs weren't as extended or airy, the soundstage was a bit compressed, and while sweet, didn't have the the Melos' signature sweetness.

Hooked up to the Cary CD-303/200 (at Spearit Sound in Boston), though, it really came to life. Highs were better-extended and sweeter than before, bass was tighter, soundstage was wider and more realistic, and some life was brough back into the music. Then again, it was a different CD player. And I was really excited to get to hear it again -- it might be my next purchase if I decide to forget the $1500 budget limitation I had originally imposed on myself.
wink.gif

Jan Meier's Porta Corda vs. Headroom Total Airhead 4.5V vs. Headroom Airhead 4.5V
I listened to these two amps at home on my Sony D-EJ01 and through Etymotic ER-4S, using the same cheesy portable cable on both amps.
Nota bene: the TA was my "prize" for working the Boston stop of the tour and thus might not be run-in to its optimal level -- the same goes for the Airhead, Audio&Me's gift. I also used crossfeed with all three amps, and it's important to note that crossfeed on the PC is not of the same design as the Headroom version.

Airhead vs. TA -- These two amps sounded quite similar with the TA just ahead of the Airhead. The TA had slightly better treble extension (slightly) with slightly better headroom and soundstage. Overall, though, both amps seemed to have trouble driving the 4S and I couldn't help but feel that the sound was really compressed.

Comparing the TA and the Porta Corda, I thought that the Porta Corda drove the 4S with much more ease. Trebles were even further extended and sweeter, there was more air between notes and noise floor seemed a bit lower. I'll be selling my TA and keeping the Porta-Corda.

Jun 14, 2002 at 4:39 AM Post #5 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw

how so?

Quote:

Audio&Me's Meta42, made by eric343

....Here was a real treat of an amp

....this little sucker provided sweet sound

....but the Meta was in a different league from the portable amps we had at my house

Jun 14, 2002 at 6:14 AM Post #7 of 48
Arrival
DanG and I arrived at the hotel a half an hour early, so we waited eagerly for him to drive up to the front door with the van loaded with half a million dollars worth of goodies. When he walked in, I didn't recognize him at first, I was thinking "Who the hell is this guy? Wait, is that Tyll!? He doesn't look nearly as goofy as in the pictures.
tongue.gif
"

Setup
There were four big crates (High End, HeadRoom, Portable, Misc) with wheels on them, getting them into the meeting area was a breeze. After taking out a few bolts, the crates come apart into neatly designed efficient parts to be assembled with ease. All the headphones were stored in their own bags hanged in front of the amp that they were hooked up to and cables secured. I must say the distribution was nicely planned out and executed.

My thoughts on headphones and amps:

The Sennheiser Orpheus I thought was simply the best system for classical (Mahler Symphony No. 7) and jazz (Miles Davis: Kind of Blue) music. There was an absoluteness to its airiness, sweet yet sparkly top end with an insanely rich midrange, and smooth extended taut bass that seemed to just hit note upon note naturally. However, this magnifiscient beauty lost its magic with poorly recorded music such as rock (No Doubt: Excuse Me I'm The Singer - Live in Holland 2/21/97), it sounded grungy and unresolving. I didn't like the EAR HP4 very much, but this is where it shined, its fast transients really got the rhythm going. I thought it sounded very similar to the HeadRoom Max, except its bass was slightly thin compared to the slightly thick sounding Max and of course the quicker transients.

The Blockhead I found to be bright (but not harsh), although it was probably the tonal qualities of the BAT cdp, yet it was the most monochromatic sounding amp there. The overall accuracy (frequency response-extension, cleanliness) was better than other amps, this was especially noticeable in this really fun popish jazz CD that Tyll put in. I guess I'm an euphonic freak as I didn't enjoy the Blockhead very much, I thought it was lacking in body, I actually preferred listening to the Max.

The HD600 are of course still my favorite headphones, but I heard a few gems. If I had loads of money and were to ever get another headphone, it would be the Stax 4040 Signature System II. It had excellent clarity, the detail extraction was superb, and was wonderfully pleasant to listen to. It wasn't the least bit dry or analytical, had lively smooth treble/midrange and mellow bass. Another strong point was its uncongested soundstage, it sounded really open and free of smog. And If I were to get a third, it would be the Grado RS-1 with Cary CAD-300SEI. This combo was extremely sweet and resolving. FUN FUN FUN, a little on the bright side, but there was absolutely no harshness. These were very light headphones, quite comfortable.
smily_headphones1.gif

The Cary amp with the WE tubes I thought was still amazing with the HD600 beautifully sweet mids, however the comments about it sounding too thick and slow I found to be accurate. This amp was a toasy sob, it was a heater. I touched one of the tubes out of curiosity, and Tyll explained to me why I shouldn't touch tubes besides the fact that you'll burn your finger.
biggrin.gif
I was looking forward to the Wheatfield HA-2, and it was nice, but I didn't think much of it. I tried the Antique Sound Lab MG Head OTL in the "headphone" (not OTL) jack with the switch turned on OTL, and I thought it was leaps better than my old MG Head DT, in fact, I preferred it to the Wheatfield. That was a neat revelation.
evil_smiley.gif

I was stunned by the McCormack Micro Integrated Drive. It's by far the best solid state headphone amp I've heard. I thought it was second there only to the Orpheus. It was tonally accurate, but its real strength was the amount of texture it portrayed with great ease. I'm surprised it wasn't in the high end rack. The only flaw that I noticed was the bass was strenuous. Lacked authoritativeness and extension, it was stringent. The treble wasn't as extended as other amps, but it had a real nice smoothness to the roll off. This is one of those solid state amps that you can call weighty yet airy.
smily_headphones1.gif
Definately gets my thumbs up.

The Stax Omega II were real dissappointing for me, I found them to be very dull. I got to hear Voyagers Grado HP-1, but I felt those were dull as well, although very neutral. I don't have much to say about the two high end sources, except I felt the BAT was more transparent. I wasn't too excited over the AKG K1000 either, they were ok.

Ok, onto the Sennheiser HD600 replacement cables. The Cardas cable had a more extended treble and sounded more refined over all with tighter bass which was really nice. The Stefan AudioArt Equinox were not nearly refined as the Cardas, but its advantages were deeper bass/soundstage and sweeter midrange. At the time, I prefered the Equinox, however spending some more time with the Cardas, I'm having trouble deciding which one I like more.

Portables portables, portables... The Etymotic ER-4P wasn't very good, I found it to be boomy and rolled off in the treble. The 4S were much better, but I still didn't like them. They were the fastest sounding headphones, crystal clear detail, but unresolving I thought, lacking in texture, body and decay. The real drawback was that they were very uncomfortable for me, I must have narrow ear canals. =( I would like isolation, and I didn't like any of the other closed headphones. But I did run into one little wonderful one that offers plenty of isolation, is fairly comfortable, and sounds great, the Beyerdynamic DT-250-80. It's a fun headphone, punchy bass and warm midrange with slightly dark treble, it's just fine for portable.
smily_headphones1.gif

HeadRoom Cosmic vs. META42
The Cosmic has a huge advantage over the META42, it's actually portable.
tongue.gif
I really dig the Traveler bag and how everything fits so neatly. The META42 is a freaking brick, clearly only suitable for travel stationary listening. These amps both have a laid back sound, but that's where the similarities end. The Cosmic had a thick dark sound to it, but had good body with plenty of detail. I felt the META42 was much more transparent and silky smooth, you could say it had a liquid top end, the bass was more controlled. Also, both amps sounded a bit compressed, but that's definately the fault of the portable cdps used.

DanG's Melos SHA-1 vs META42 and trip to Goodwins Audio

I got to compare the Melos to the META with Dan's system (Marantz CD-6000OSE, Silver Sonic Air Matrix) and I can say, I fell in love with the Melos instantly. The Melos had this natural sweetness that gives it this absolutely astonishingly beautiful richness to everything. It was fast and airy, had the best natural extended decay I've ever heard. The META had similar qualities, except it lacked the "signature" sweetness, it sounds thin in comparison, I'd say it was a few leagues below the Melos.

Then, we introduce a new source into the picture, the jaw dropping Cary CD-303/200. The interconnects were unknown, and we only got to try it with the META42. Well, this cd player is the filler for what the META42 was missing (treble extension, body, tighter bass), it improved the sound dramatically, I mean, it was awesome. This was sounding better than the Marantz-Melos system. I can only imagine how great the Melos will sound with this player.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Well, I'd like to end these quickly generated opinions by saying that I had a blast in Boston, and would love to do it again. Oh and Tyll was great to work with, very cool guy. Thanks for the lovely opportunity.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 14, 2002 at 6:22 AM Post #8 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me

HeadRoom Cosmic vs. META42
The Cosmic has a huge advantage over the META42, it's actually portable.
tongue.gif
I really dig the Traveler bag and how everything fits so neatly. The META42 is a freaking brick, clearly only suitable for travel stationary listening.

FYI, the META42 dosen't have to be like that, it's just the Hammond cast-aluminum case is so good at RFI/EMI rejection...

(the one fault of the META42 design I've found so far is that it's rather sensitive to interference if it's not in a shielded [read: bricklike] box.)

Jun 14, 2002 at 2:19 PM Post #9 of 48
Quote:

the one fault of the META42 design I've found so far is that it's rather sensitive to interference if it's not in a shielded [read: bricklike] box

You should see if Tangent had any problems with intereference, and if so, how he solved them - he did build one or a few in plastic cases already.

Jun 14, 2002 at 4:53 PM Post #10 of 48
I dig the case, it rules.
smily_headphones1.gif
Seriously eric, you did a killer job on this, I feel that this is the best travel amp one could ever want. And what an incredible deal, cheap.
smily_headphones1.gif
I don't want the internal battery support anymore, external psu and battery pack all the way.
very_evil_smiley.gif
With a weaker source, it was obvious that the Melos was a better amp, however the fact that META42 sounded better (than the Marantz-Melos combo) with a better source is proof I think of how crucial the source is, so anyone planning on spending loads of money on an amp before getting a good source you'd be satisfied with should take this into consideration.

I want another one (META42) in a case similar to the Cosmic, the Traveler Bag was awesome, for actual portable use, hehe. And I wonder what mini-rca cable was used, it sounded good and was actually flexible!

TA vs PC vs CHA47
The TA was warm and dark, the PC was more transparent but sounded thin and lacked soundstage depth, the CHA47 was even more transparent and sounded fuller than the PC but not as much as the TA. The TAs xfeed made the sound thick, where as the xfeed on the PC was virtually unnoticeable except a slight decrease in the impact of the bass.

Jun 14, 2002 at 5:18 PM Post #11 of 48
Keep in mind that I bought the Marantz new for $400 just over a year ago. To buy the Cary CD303/200 now would set you back around $3000. I don't think that says that you should get a great source before you get a great amp -- it just means you have to realize that balance is as important as always.

Jun 14, 2002 at 7:40 PM Post #12 of 48
Wow nice reviews!

A&M: I am really surprised that you would go for the RS-1s as a third choice, I mean...the first and second choices being eletros...that says a lot about the RS-1/Cary combo. I am absolutely lost now....I want musical over analytical. I can get that with the Orpheus or the Omega IIs over time...and I have a nice accurate set with my etys. Perhaps I will need to audition the Cary with my RS-1s and somehow get a hold an EAR and try that out. I am glad I didn't send my cash out just yet for the EAR.... Plus, the cary is an integrated....much better value for the huge bucks than a simple HP amp.

I wish Headroom would travel to Canada. I can imagine the hassle, so I won't hold my breath. Suffice to say that if Tyll and the boys made it up to Toronto (not so far from Detroit!!) that many would venture out to have a listen.

Jun 14, 2002 at 9:03 PM Post #13 of 48
Although the RS-1/Cary combo was very nice, keep in mind that the brightness was obviously there, I would only listen to it for short periods at a time.

The Sennheiser HE 60 sounded just like the HD600, which is rather funny since the baby O costs way more than the HD600.

Dan, right on.

Jun 15, 2002 at 3:55 PM Post #14 of 48
I agree mostly with A&M's sentiment that source is more important than people on HeadFi make it out to be. There's more than a couple of over-the-top amps plugged into sub-$500 CD players on this forum. But really it's a matter of where your prirorities are.

For me, personally, my complaints are largely with the source. I resent the fact that any time I hear a compact disc, I know IMMEDIATELY that it's a CD. I don't have to wonder whether it's a record or an 8-track or a reel to reel or some new format, I know just instantly that it's CD because of its trademark flaws... and it drives me absolutely nuts. This was true all the way up until I first heard the Wadia 270/27ix for the first time last year. At that time, I thought to myself "wow, if I didn't know this was CD I wouldn't have a way of knowing", it sounded like vinyl only with more precision and no analog artifacts. I'm not saying that thing is flawless or anything, but it crossed a threshold for me that made me understand that digital is finally getting "good."

The spoiling effect here, though, is that knowing its out there has made me all that much more dissatisfied with anything short of it. It's aggravating.

I have problems with amps too, of course, as demonstrated by my continual buying/selling process. But really, it's the source that I need to overcome to move forward and I'm trying to dump some effort into that now before I revisit that Stax.

Jun 15, 2002 at 4:17 PM Post #15 of 48
Quote:

This was true all the way up until I first heard the Wadia 270/27ix for the first time last year. At that time, I thought to myself "wow, if I didn't know this was CD I wouldn't have a way of knowing", it sounded like vinyl only with more precision and no analog artifacts. I'm not saying that thing is flawless or anything, but it crossed a threshold for me that made me understand that digital is finally getting "good."

From all the reviews that I have read, Wadia has always made the best cd players. Head-Fi is suppose to review their top of the line CD Player (not the transport/dac combo) sometime is summer. Who gets to review this one? Maybe the person can get a blockhead loan for the review, if they have enough posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back