Woohoo! - My First CMOY! (Pics)
Feb 10, 2003 at 6:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

mhamel

500+ Head-Fier
Sort of my 2nd, actually... but my first *completed* one. The first one's got a more complex PS and I'm waiting for parts, so I built this today.

Everything went very well - couple of stupid mistakes that took a few minutes with a meter and a good loud "Doh!" to resolve. it's all pretty much stock to Tangent's guide, plus 1uF orange drops for the input caps and an extra 470uF cap to buffer the power supply.

The most fun was the enclosure. :)

I put up some pics at:

Mike's First CMOY

Next I need to finish off the other one I started, and then on to a Meta.

-Mike

Feb 10, 2003 at 6:50 AM Post #2 of 18
Without a doubt, the most unique enclosure I have ever seen. Great job!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2003 at 7:30 AM Post #5 of 18
Thanks! :) It was really fun to build.

Was ist - It was originally for an Intel wireless base station (for their discontinued keyboard/mouse/gamepad gear). The case originally had a cable coming out of the back and the power jack as you see it... but it was mounted on the original main PCB. I cut out a good amount of the internal supports and plastic stuff that was in the way and got the protoboard to fit in the same area as the original board, then measured out where the jack had to sit and routed some holes in the protoboard to accomodate it. It was bit time intensive, but I think the end result was worth it. :)

-Mike

Feb 10, 2003 at 12:29 PM Post #6 of 18
That's a nice fit, Mike. You've gotta love it when a project comes together so well (an quickly, it sounds).

Quote:

...a good loud "Doh!" to resolve.

One of my favorite tools
redface.gif

Feb 10, 2003 at 2:46 PM Post #7 of 18
Nice Job on the recycled case!

ok,
erix

Feb 10, 2003 at 3:16 PM Post #8 of 18
Nice job, mike! Very cool case. I like the clean look of the wiring too. If I had any talent, that's how I'd like to think I'd do my DIY projects.

Is the whole board attached to the case by only that one screw?

Feb 10, 2003 at 10:11 PM Post #10 of 18
thats just plain COOL

for some reason, i cannot get the big versions of the pics to load, but ill chalk that up to my iffy connection (sometimes work T1 just sucks)

were you able to locate a dead basestation somewhere, or did you sacrifice your own
tongue.gif

nice work...when you get sick of it, my desk has plenty of room

Feb 11, 2003 at 3:04 PM Post #13 of 18
Thanks everyone!

The base station was new - I had bought it right as they got discontinued and never found a keyboard at a reasonable price, so it's just been sitting around. I still have the mouse and gamepad. At least this way it's useful. :)

The mouse may be my next target for a case... I'm pretty sure I can get an amp into it, but I would want to use the wheel for volume control, so I have to see if I can figure that part out.

sc - Yes, I've got MDR-V6's and I've got a pair of 7506's that I use for music at work. I've been thinking about a pair of Senn. 580's, and will probably pick them up in the near future.

-Mike

Feb 12, 2003 at 9:01 AM Post #15 of 18
I was gonna chime in too, but I think Walli's got that covered
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back