Woodwind Ultra Portable Amp!
Mar 28, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #16 of 31
Quote:
To be honest a great amp without volume control seems kinda pointless. You have to use headphone-out and double amping, which kinda defeats the purpose as most built-in amps are very sub-par. It might be great with a couple of DAPs that have clean headphone-outs or a pc and using the software volume control but definitely not even near a good solution, especially for mobile phones what seems to be their target. I hope they come to their senses and release a version with volume controls

Tend to agree.  Can't use a LOD out I can't see the value.....

Mar 28, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #17 of 31
Can the TRRS compatibility on this amp be used to control the VOL and track skip functions, when combined with headphones that have buttons on the cable?

thanks
I'll test it in a moment. :wink:

EDIT: I don't have a TRRS cable interconnect on me... :frowning2:

Mar 28, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #18 of 31
Thats too bad... I'd like to put one of these in-between my shuffle and Jays IEMs.  Can you post the designers contact information?  I'd like to ask them... thanks

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:
Thats too bad... I'd like to put one of these in-between my shuffle and Jays IEMs.  Can you post the designers contact information?  I'd like to ask them... thanks

I tested mine with a TRRS interconnecting cable and headphone with iDevice remote (Sony MDR-1R) on both Nano 4G and 7G, and the remote and mic doesn't work. However, I'll be receiving the new reversion of Woodwind in a month or so and I'll retest it then.

Mar 29, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #21 of 31
If it accepts balanced, would it run the RE262 without the unbalanced adapter cable? :0
It doesn't support balanced. :frowning2: For the price, balanced would be impossible, they're only making around $15 an amp, and the size is so tiny it is impossible without doubling the size and cost. :wink:

Mar 29, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #23 of 31
But you mentioned it taking TRRS.
is trrs balanced? I wouldn't be able to try, as I don't have a trrs interconnect and re 262... I see how that could work though, you'd have to have a balanced source though...

Mar 29, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #24 of 31
Quote:
If it accepts balanced, would it run the RE262 without the unbalanced adapter cable? :0

Quote:
But you mentioned it taking TRRS.

Beside HifiMan using TRRS for balanced, TRRS plug is also used for mic+remote support on smartphone headset. In this case, we are talking about mic+remote, not balanced signal.

Mar 29, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #25 of 31
Updated OP about the release version have switchable gain.

Apr 2, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #26 of 31
Very interested in this. Any comments on how it sounds with sensitive BA IEMs - any hiss?

A bit disappointing that there isn't a volume control knob because I often find the digital jumps in volume, even on the source, rather jarring.

Apr 2, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #27 of 31
No hiss at all, not even with the most hiss prone IEM in my collection.

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #29 of 31
I should start critical listening soon, been getting a feel for the amp and studying for finals. :wink:

Aug 28, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #30 of 31
Looking great, might be a must-buy just to fool around and learn something about these marvellous price/quality designs. I love the fact you can put something so impressive on such a miniscule board. Can't wait for the possible DAC either!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back