Wooden portable ATH-ESW9 arrived! (with pics)
Feb 12, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #1,081 of 1,087
Not all of us can fit them over our ears:

Antiques%20-%20Yoda.jpg

Feb 13, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #1,082 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasaki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just got mine, one day ahead of the announced released date!
I had a reservation at Fujiya-Avic store and I picked it up today.
Click pictures to enlarge.

ATH-ESW9 is new Audio technica portable and the housing is made of wood(African Padauk). The African Padauk is a material of Malimba or such kind of instruments.

Here is my first impression,
Build quality is very nice, it is classy and well build. Fitting is good as well, side pressure is lighter than ES7 and not too tight anyway. Though it looks like somewhat bigger than ES7(Left).

I took a brief listening and the sound quality is decent. Fairly airly, sound staging is wider and instrument separation is nice. Good resolution on the lower register, for example wood bass pizzicato is well defined.
This would be good for Jazz or Classical music, I think.

Do the pads from the ESW9 fit on the ES7?

Feb 13, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #1,083 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by nonsupremous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do the pads from the ESW9 fit on the ES7?

Yes. Perfectly.

Feb 13, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #1,085 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by nonsupremous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thank you! might be a game changer for my ES7s. Best portable I own, but also the most uncomfortable.

I recommend it. The ATH-ESW9 pads really upped the comfort factor for me (without discernably altering the sound). It wasn't inexpensive mod, but worth it considering the benefits.

May 22, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #1,087 of 1,087
It seems as if I have come round full circle (for now) as I started here with actually an es7 then es9 but sold off both to go thru plenty others and now to have a fresh new set it just sounds soo good!

I thought the es700 was close to perfection with the esw9 pads and the cork mod, giving it an incredibly live experience, but coming back to a more natural soundstage and larger sounding bass and just bigger with those mids just right, being not too forward or laid back,
I could deal with slight brightness in upper trebles the air and placement of all vocals and instruments is so realistic and enjoyable.
The sound on a whole is just superior in musicality and enjoyment over all my "on ear" can experience..
I know from experience that first or new impressions are usually overenthusiastic so I have been just listening to them in stock form before I mod them for the increased soundstage outlined in an old thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back