Wooden portable ATH-ESW9 arrived! (with pics)
Oct 18, 2007 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,087

Sasaki

500+ Head-Fier
I've just got mine, one day ahead of the announced released date!
I had a reservation at Fujiya-Avic store and I picked it up today.
Click pictures to enlarge.

ATH-ESW9 is new Audio technica portable and the housing is made of wood(African Padauk). The African Padauk is a material of Malimba or such kind of instruments.

Here is my first impression,
Build quality is very nice, it is classy and well build. Fitting is good as well, side pressure is lighter than ES7 and not too tight anyway. Though it looks like somewhat bigger than ES7(Left).

I took a brief listening and the sound quality is decent. Fairly airly, sound staging is wider and instrument separation is nice. Good resolution on the lower register, for example wood bass pizzicato is well defined.
This would be good for Jazz or Classical music, I think.

Oct 18, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #2 of 1,087
I have been able to hear the prototype of the headphone (no name printed on it) and it I would say it was quite bass heavy...

Don't you think so? OK, they told me it's not final but how far away can a working prototype be away from the real thing?

IMG_0204.jpg

m00h

Oct 18, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #3 of 1,087
These things look awesome. However, they're far out of my price bracket for a protable headphone.

I'm still curious on how they stack up to the ES7. Please continue to post your impressions.

Thank you.

Oct 18, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #8 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildsurfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
es7/esw9 comparison would be so great, I can't decide myself...

That would be rather senseless, IMHO.
They are two different classes of headphones...

m00h

Oct 18, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #12 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by m00hk00h /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That would be rather senseless, IMHO.
They are two different classes of headphones...

m00h

Wow thank you, that was so gently said...
SQ-wise yes, or perhaps I don't know. But size wise, where-and-when-I'm-going-to-use-these-cans-instead-of-my-iems-wise if you prefer, they definitely play in the same league for me.
Since a lot of people seem to think that es7 and esw9 are not so different, could you give us a few indications about how big the difference is, even if you have "only" heard the prototype ? And is the sound sig completely different or an es7 owner can order a pair of esw9 on trust ? *please*

I checked your website a few days ago and I think you offer those esw9 for sale (hope my memory is good), when will you be able to ship them ?

Oct 18, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #14 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by nosleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice looking. What kind of amp is that?

RSA SR-71, judging from the bolt and size.

And damn, that thing does look good.
I kind of want one too, just because, even though I have no use for a portable can like that.
frown.gif

Edit: oh, guess you mean the big AT one, didn't even see that, thought it was a display wall.
biggrin.gif

Oct 18, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #15 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by tk3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RSA SR-71, judging from the bolt and size.

And damn, that thing does look good.
I kind of want one too, just because, even though I have no use for a portable can like that.
frown.gif

Edit: oh, guess you mean the big AT one, didn't even see that, thought it was a display wall.
biggrin.gif

Same...I don't generally feel for woodies, but I am a sucker for the way AT does it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back