WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
Feb 12, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #2,311 of 2,601
Dude I'm so getting that amp for my main system soon. Heard it on speakers at an expo here in SoCal, but they also had a pair of XCs to try it with and wow. Definitely keeps up with or even beats a lot of headphone amps I've heard. And the fact that Kevin from Prima was right there and told me I could still use my collection of 12AU7s to tube roll and change the sound I was like ok I'm sold(as soon as I save up..still feeling guilty from LCD-4 purchase).

yep... it should beat any headphone amp out there to be honest since driving headphones is really no different then driving speakers and ProLogue are known for being one of the top if not the top tube amp designers in the world.  no shortcuts and none of this over-driving to pump up power specs nonsense.  plus the auto-biasing constantly keeps the thing exactly in the zone meaning you don't need matched tubes at all for great well balanced distortion free sound.  also absolutely love the idea that it lights up an led under any tubes that are out of spec.  i mean how easy is that?  takes the whole 'have i had these tubes too long' thing out of the equation and that is all with the standard el34's which are amazing yet not esoteric expensive tubes. tons of rolling options if your into that.  a conservative 60 watts untouched? yeah that can handle any headphones out there without breaking a sweat at all. that'll do me fine :wink:

Feb 15, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #2,312 of 2,601
Hi everyone!

This might be a silly question, but I really don't understand the difference between the tp variant from the regular. If anyone could tell like I was five I would be happy :).

I am thinking of HD800S and WA7. That's why I would like to understand the difference.

Have a good one!

Edit: I am stupid haha. I think I understand it now. What I don't really understand is what difference it will make on the sound quality. Is no other components changed except that you will obtain a good looking PS?

Feb 15, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #2,313 of 2,601
Hi everyone!

This might be a silly question, but I really don't understand the difference between the tp variant from the regular. If anyone could tell like I was five I would be happy
smily_headphones1.gif

I am thinking of HD800S and WA7. That's why I would like to understand the difference.

Have a good one!

Edit: I am stupid haha. I think I understand it now. What I don't really understand is what difference it will make on the sound quality. Is no other components changed except that you will obtain a good looking PS?

most people agree the tp power supply provides better bass.

Feb 15, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #2,314 of 2,601
Hi everyone!

This might be a silly question, but I really don't understand the difference between the tp variant from the regular. If anyone could tell like I was five I would be happy :).

Have a good one!

^^What groovy said. But also, it's a gateway to how much better you can get the WA7 to sound with power supply tube upgrades. The gold pin upgrade in the amp section of regular WA7 doesn't enhance much as far as sound quality. But changing out the tp module tubes makes the WA7's sound go from oh hey this is kinda nice to OMG what is happening to my ears right now?! It's pretty crazy dude.

There's a WA7tp tube rolling guide thread somewhere around here on head-fi. It's gold. I can tell you from personal experience everything in it is true. Read it, get the tp, and thank us later :wink:

Feb 16, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #2,315 of 2,601

After about three hours of troubleshooting driver issues with Windows 10, 64 bit I FINALLY got the Woo's working !!  It should be noted that you need to restart your computer while depessing the Shift key. You can then disable Driver Signature Enforcement  (F7)which will allow you to successfully install the drivers. What a pain in the ass! But with that said the Woo Wa7 and Wa7tp sound gorgeous !

Feb 16, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #2,316 of 2,601
  After about three hours of troubleshooting driver issues with Windows 10, 64 bit I FINALLY got the Woo's working !!  It should be noted that you need to restart your computer while depessing the Shift key. You can then disable Driver Signature Enforcement  (F7)which will allow you to successfully install the drivers. What a pain in the ass! But with that said the Woo Wa7 and Wa7tp sound gorgeous !

Good tip on driver installation, thanks.

Gotta love your listening station including that HP stand....never understood why folks buy stands when they are so easy to make.

Feb 17, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #2,318 of 2,601
^^What groovy said. But also, it's a gateway to how much better you can get the WA7 to sound with power supply tube upgrades. The gold pin upgrade in the amp section of regular WA7 doesn't enhance much as far as sound quality. But changing out the tp module tubes makes the WA7's sound go from oh hey this is kinda nice to OMG what is happening to my ears right now?! It's pretty crazy dude.

There's a WA7tp tube rolling guide thread somewhere around here on head-fi. It's gold. I can tell you from personal experience everything in it is true. Read it, get the tp, and thank us later
wink.gif

What does tube rolling mean?  I'm also looking at these with HD800SDRs.  New to tube amps.  You're seriously saying the power supply is worth an extra 600 dollars?  I can technically afford it but was hoping to just pick up the normal one.  

Edit: also which one is the newest the one that says 2nd gen or the other?  I'm assuming 2nd but I can't either WA7d vs WA7p.  

Double Edit: What about the DAC chip inside...  The ES9018K2M is the same in the 300 dollar Oppo HA-2?  If I have a chord mojo is it better to use its DAC and the amp of the WA7?  Is that still worth it...?

Feb 18, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #2,319 of 2,601
I have the 2nd Gen+ Tubed PS. The tubed PS makes a significant difference especially when you get the right tubes (the stock tubes are not so good).
The tubed power supply takes two 12AU7 tubes. I have tried RCA clear tops, Mullard CV4003 and CBS-Hytron 5814A and I have to say each one is a huge step up.
The RCA has the tightest bass,
The CV4003 sounds balanced and fluid.
The CBS-hytron 5814A is balanced like CV4003 but a tad bit more dynamic sounding. My HD800S sounds less diffussed, and more engaging. (I'm in love with these tubes, the only problem is that they are quite hard to come by). I even thought about selling my WA7 before I tried CBS tubes, that tells you how much a difference it makes.

If you are going to get the Tubed power supply,and start tube rolling (try different tubes), you need to keep in mind that the tubes can cost you quite a bit.

I wonder anyone here tried both CBS hytron and Philips Miniwatt, and how do they compare?

Feb 18, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #2,324 of 2,601
  I have the 2nd Gen+ Tubed PS. The tubed PS makes a significant difference especially when you get the right tubes (the stock tubes are not so good).
The tubed power supply takes two 12AU7 tubes. I have tried RCA clear tops, Mullard CV4003 and CBS-Hytron 5814A and I have to say each one is a huge step up.
The CBS-hytron 5814A is balanced like CV4003 but a tad bit more dynamic sounding. My HD800S sounds less diffussed, and more engaging. (I'm in love with these tubes, the only problem is that they are quite hard to come by). I even thought about selling my WA7 before I tried CBS tubes, that tells you how much a difference it makes.

If you are going to get the Tubed power supply,and start tube rolling (try different tubes), you need to keep in mind that the tubes can cost you quite a bit.

I wonder anyone here tried both CBS hytron and Philips Miniwatt, and how do they compare?

That is certainly a testimony in favor of the tubed PS, thanks for the insight on various tubes.

As a very satisfied user of the solid state power supply with my WA7 I am curious if you ever used the solid state PS and what your impression was.

I would never have imagined tubes in a PS could affect the output in such a notable way.

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #2,325 of 2,601

Thanks for the response that was helpful.

What dac are you using? The fireflies are near the upper end of my budget so I was wondering if its worth getting them if the stock dac is poor. I can use the Oppo HA-2 or Chord Mojo as an existing DAC or pick up a modi 2 or something... would it be smarter to get like a schiit pairing?

My goal is a warmer HD800SDR. But I also want an upgrade over my chord mojo which I'm using now.

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back