Woo Audio WA8 Review - Head-Fi TV
Feb 9, 2024 at 6:48 PM Post #871 of 903
Oh? What DAC is that?
The iFi iDSD Finale. I prefer the smoother and to my ears more "analog" and refined sound of the Burr Brown DAC in the iDSD to the ESS more "digital" sound signature. It is not night and day, on some songs the internal ESS sounds really good but globally I prefer the iDSD. I listen almost exclusively to vocal jazz and old progressive rock. There is the new iBasso D16 that has me intrigued lately but right now I'm really happy with the iDSD DAC, I never use the solid state amp that is in the iDSD.

Feb 9, 2024 at 6:49 PM Post #872 of 903
Just picked up a set of Abyss Diana 2’s, I’ve been interested in the WA8 since its release but never had a chance to hear one. Is this still a highly regarded combo with the Diana V2? Worth buying in 2024? Have they updated the dac?

The WA8 won't benefit from a newer DAC as the tubes would obliterate any advantages.

It's still and always will be an excellent portable tube amp. The Diana V2s work well with the WA8.

Feb 9, 2024 at 7:05 PM Post #873 of 903
The iFi iDSD Finale. I prefer the smoother and to my ears more "analog" and refined sound of the Burr Brown DAC in the iDSD to the ESS more "digital" sound signature. It is not night and day, on some songs the internal ESS sounds really good but globally I prefer the iDSD. I listen almost exclusively to vocal jazz and old progressive rock. There is the new iBasso D16 that has me intrigued lately but right now I'm really happy with the iDSD DAC, I never use the solid state amp that is in the iDSD.
I'll have to try that one day, thanks.

Feb 9, 2024 at 7:27 PM Post #874 of 903
One thing for sure is they added a new color, GOLD is now an option that wasn't there when I bought mine. There also seems to be new stuff about the USB IN (xmos x-core audio clocking) that I don't remember reading when I bought mine but I'm not sure.

I don't use the WA8 dac anymore, I bought another transportable DAC about the same size as the WOO and that I prefer the sound to the built in ESS.
Interesting, wants the consensus on the gold, best color offering? Thanks for the info I’ll try and dig around to see what changes the could have made— It’s still USB2, my hesitation is that it’s 8 years old and there might be a refresh. Anything else I should consider in this price range specifically to drive the Diana 2s?

Feb 9, 2024 at 7:56 PM Post #875 of 903
Interesting, wants the consensus on the gold, best color offering? Thanks for the info I’ll try and dig around to see what changes the could have made— It’s still USB2, my hesitation is that it’s 8 years old and there might be a refresh. Anything else I should consider in this price range specifically to drive the Diana 2s?
Sorry can't help you, never heard the Diana. As far as transportable tube amps, I think WA8 is in a class of its own. Sure there are a few others, using so called Korg tubes that I never heard, but I'd be surprised if any give you the real tubey sound the WA8 can produce. I wouldn't be afraid about the amp section of the WA8 even if it is 8 years old. Sure you can question the DAC section but that part who cares, there is a line in connection so if the DAC section doesn't please you then you just use another source.

Feb 9, 2024 at 8:00 PM Post #876 of 903
Sorry can't help you, never heard the Diana. As far as transportable tube amps, I think WA8 is in a class of its own. Sure there are a few others, using so called Korg tubes that I never heard, but I'd be surprised if any give you the real tubey sound the WA8 can produce. I wouldn't be afraid about the amp section of the WA8 even if it is 8 years old. Sure you can question the DAC section but that part who cares, there is a line in connection so if the DAC section doesn't please you then you just use another source.
Thanks for your input on this. Is the WA8 a better option than the WA7, or is the o lot benefit portability?

Feb 9, 2024 at 8:05 PM Post #877 of 903
Thanks for your input on this. Is the WA8 a better option than the WA7, or is the o lot benefit portability?
Never listened to WA7, it may well sound a bit better then WA8, after all it's got a power supply and bigger tubes that you can roll but to me it is of no use, I want a transportable amp I can easily carry around in the house.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 12:00 AM Post #878 of 903
Never heard WA7, it may well sound a bit better then WA8, after all it's got a power supply and bigger tubes that you can roll but to me it is of no use, I want a transportable amp I can easily carry around in the house.
Apparently the Diana v2 is easier to drive than the Phi and newer models, not sure if the extra power would be a benefit for this particular headphone.

Feb 11, 2024 at 6:26 PM Post #880 of 903
Does anyone know if the WA8 has been “quietly updated” or are is it still using the same dac as the 2016 release
May be you could ask Woo directly. Let us know after! :ksc75smile:

Feb 12, 2024 at 6:51 AM Post #882 of 903
Feb 18, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #884 of 903
WA8 eclipse was silently updated to the same ESS DAC as WA7 3rd gen.

Source? It would be unlikely Woo would just change DAC chips unless the chip was no longer available.

As of 2020 it was a ESS Sabre ES9018K2M. What does the WA7 3rd gen use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back