Woo Audio WA8 Review - Head-Fi TV
Jan 31, 2024 at 8:09 AM Post #856 of 903
I'll try that tomorrow, I can connect that through my daps 3.5 to the WA8 line in, yes?

Yes.

It could also be a bad tube. Does the noise happen in 2 tube mode? It's unlikely that the DAC would go bad before the tube. Also, make sure you don't have any RFI sourcea around (older phone, WIFI router, etc...)

Jan 31, 2024 at 8:36 AM Post #857 of 903
I would suspect the tubes if you have strange sounds. Tubes will always fail at a certain point. Woo sells replacements, I bought some from them a while ago.

BTW I don’t use the WA8 dac since I got an iFi iDSD DAC which sounds better to Y ears then the Woo internal dac. The Woo amp however is fantastic. Your DAP line out may also sound better, you’ll have fun discovering it! 😉

Jan 31, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #858 of 903
Yes.

It could also be a bad tube. Does the noise happen in 2 tube mode? It's unlikely that the DAC would go bad before the tube. Also, make sure you don't have any RFI sourcea around (older phone, WIFI router, etc...)
It could be, I he tried both modes and the problem is persistent. I have contacted Woo and we are talking. No, nothing of the sort nearby, I tried testing that by walking around the house and outside. No luck.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 9:29 AM Post #859 of 903
I would suspect the tubes if you have strange sounds. Tubes will always fail at a certain point. Woo sells replacements, I bought some from them a while ago.

BTW I don’t use the WA8 dac since I got an iFi iDSD DAC which sounds better to Y ears then the Woo internal dac. The Woo amp however is fantastic. Your DAP line out may also sound better, you’ll have fun discovering it! 😉
I'll try my daps DAC, only cable I have to connect the two is 15 feet xD

Jan 31, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #860 of 903
Ok, tested the amp this morning. So far everything is working as the unit should, I let it sit for an hour to see if the problem would resurface, and to my surprise, it did not. Tried the Line-in as well, with no issues showing. Little uneasy that the problem may have fixed itself, but can't be too picky.

Jan 31, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #861 of 903
Ok, tested the amp this morning. So far everything is working as the unit should, I let it sit for an hour to see if the problem would resurface, and to my surprise, it did not. Tried the Line-in as well, with no issues showing. Little uneasy that the problem may have fixed itself, but can't be too picky.

That's RFI. I had a noisy WA8 and traced it to the Wifi endpoint I was using.

Jan 31, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #862 of 903
That's RFI. I had a noisy WA8 and traced it to the Wifi endpoint I was using.
Could you expand on what RFI is? Glad it was the wifi and not anything substantial.

Jan 31, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #863 of 903
Could you expand on what RFI is? Glad it was the wifi and not anything substantial.
In my experience tube amps are often more sensitive to all sort of "distractions" that create noise! Yesterday vs today, were you sitting exactly at the same spot in the house, connected exactly to the same computer, phone, streamer..., WA8 connected for charging or not, etc,...? So don't worry too much, when you venture in the tube amp world you usually face these small issues with noise that can be easily corrected most of the time. Cross my fingers I've never had any kind of "noise" with my WA8 but I had some issues with my desktop tube amp where I finally had to buy a power conditionner. The WA8 being battery driven helps minimize the sources of noise from power outlets.

Jan 31, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #864 of 903
In my experience tube amps are often more sensitive to all sort of "distractions" that create noise! Yesterday vs today, were you sitting exactly at the same spot in the house, connected exactly to the same computer, phone, streamer..., WA8 connected for charging or not, etc,...? So don't worry too much, when you venture in the tube amp world you usually face these small issues with noise that can be easily corrected most of the time. Cross my fingers I've never had any kind of "noise" with my WA8 but I had some issues with my desktop tube amp where I finally had to buy a power conditionner. The WA8 being battery driven helps minimize the sources of noise from power outlets.
Ah ok, I know what that is. Thank you.

Yes, nothing in my control changed. So I guess that was it. Phew.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 1:21 PM Post #865 of 903
Radio Frequency Interference.

Basically as stated already, all the wireless devices in your listening space emitting the radio waves. Also, tubes are sensitive to electromagnetic interference. If your tubes were truly bad, you'd get consistent noise. The WA8 isn't more or less sensitive to interference than any other SET amp.

Welcome to the amazing (but sometimes annoying) world of tubes. Just keep track of when the noise occurs and what you are using at the time, I don't know if you live in an apartment or duplex, but what your neighbor does could affect you as well. Even if there is something wrong with the WA8, until it does it consistently, Woo can't do anything about it. I'd suggest to get a backup set of tubes, but IIRC they are up to $400 now.

Jan 31, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #866 of 903
Radio Frequency Interference.

Basically as stated already, all the wireless devices in your listening space emitting the radio waves. Also, tubes are sensitive to electromagnetic interference. If your tubes were truly bad, you'd get consistent noise. The WA8 isn't more or less sensitive to interference than any other SET amp.

Welcome to the amazing (but sometimes annoying) world of tubes. Just keep track of when the noise occurs and what you are using at the time, I don't know if you live in an apartment or duplex, but what your neighbor does could affect you as well. Even if there is something wrong with the WA8, until it does it consistently, Woo can't do anything about it. I'd suggest to get a backup set of tubes, but IIRC they are up to $400 now.
Not new to the world of tubes, but definitely new to their problems :).

Just glad this was not an issue that needed repairs. I just got it and don't want to lose it already!

Thank you Johnston and LoftProjection.

Feb 4, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #867 of 903
I tried with stock LO cable from DX220MAX 4.4 mm to 3.5mm CDM. Not good. I don't like it.

Use ALO 3.5mm to 3.5mm IC, copper and plated silver.... a lot better.....natural and more engaging sound.....
Hey man,

Noticed you had a CDM. I'm looking for one, if you decide some day to sell would ask that you consider me first. I will pay a good price, especially looking for tubes and PCBs. Thank you.

Feb 9, 2024 at 5:30 PM Post #868 of 903
Just picked up a set of Abyss Diana 2’s, I’ve been interested in the WA8 since its release but never had a chance to hear one. Is this still a highly regarded combo with the Diana V2? Worth buying in 2024? Have they updated the dac?

Feb 9, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #869 of 903
Just picked up a set of Abyss Diana 2’s, I’ve been interested in the WA8 since its release but never had a chance to hear one. Is this still a highly regarded combo with the Diana V2? Worth buying in 2024? Have they updated the dac?
One thing for sure is they added a new color, GOLD is now an option that wasn't there when I bought mine. There also seems to be new stuff about the USB IN (xmos x-core audio clocking) that I don't remember reading when I bought mine but I'm not sure.

I don't use the WA8 dac anymore, I bought another transportable DAC about the same size as the WOO and that I prefer the sound to the built in ESS.

Feb 9, 2024 at 6:07 PM Post #870 of 903
One thing for sure is they added a new color, GOLD is now an option that wasn't there when I bought mine. There also seems to be new stuff about the USB IN (xmos x-core audio clocking) that I don't remember reading when I bought mine but I'm not sure.

I don't use the WA8 dac anymore, I bought another transportable DAC about the same size as the WOO and that I prefer the sound to the built in ESS.
Oh? What DAC is that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back