Woo Audio WA7TP (tube power supply) Impressions Thread
Jul 22, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #346 of 1,118
  So I was happy enough with the TP until a few days ago when I rolled in a pair of NOS RCA Cleartops; I am now ecstatic with this purchase! With the Grados on lo-z setting there is a very noticeable increase in soundstage (more than I expected) as well as clarity and more defined bass - they just sound so much better. Ah, but the T1's have been taken to a whole new level with the cleartops! To be honest I have kind of been on the fence with the Beyers until now - I am just amazed at how great they are with this setup. 

Thanks for the impressions on this tube. I placed an order for a pair of these as well, earlier this evening. They sound very promising...definitely excited to check them out with the HD800 & the LCD-2F.

Jul 23, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #347 of 1,118

Loving the HD800s has been quite a journey for me, an acquired taste if you will.  Seemingly each element changed in the system has been a clear improvement – the EH Gold tubes, then the WA7tp, and finally the Sylvania tube swap.  That additional sparkle I mentioned earlier is somehow getting smoothed out with each passing day and listening session – call it placebo, call it auditory adaptation, or call it what I do: A surprisingly delightful combination of components all working together symbiotically to deliver some of the best musicality you’ll probably get in this price range…

I agree, it is indeed a very good combination. I find the HD800 to be smooth, slightly warm and completely free of harshness with WA7/WA7tp using the Electro harmonix Gold Pins & the Sylvania JAN 5814A respectively. If you're using the internal DAC, and you choose to upgrade, you'll definitely hear a difference there as well.  

Jul 24, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #351 of 1,118
does the left tube in the power supply provide the power to the left channel and tube of the amp? curious because my left amp tube is much brighter then the right but the right tube in the power supply is much brighter then the left. is the left tube in the amp actually the left channel of the headphones?

Jul 24, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #352 of 1,118
There are many possible configurations eg one tube for heater current and one for plate current in this case matching would not be required
Information is scarce , I don't even know if the WA7 runs AC or DC heaters

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #354 of 1,118
  Oof, those cleartop tubes Woo posted about on facebook are pricy! $245 for a couple of tubes!

That said, I'd love to hear from someone who picks up a pair...

Agreed. Definitely not cheap. That said, being a glutton for punishment, I purchased a pair. I'll post some impressions comparing them to the Sylvania JAN's and the stock tubes; after I burn in the RCA clear top's of course. 

Jul 25, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #357 of 1,118
Perhaps Mike can weigh in on the exact tubes & pricing. Woo Audio described them as, "NOS RCA 12AU7 Clear Tops". 

I fully expect mark up given that they've gone through listening tests to find what tubes are worth offering (i.e. requires time/money), as well as testing what they sell to their customers. I don't have too big of a problem with this, assuming it creates a low-risk purchasing situation for me as a buyer. I ultimately feel that getting a very solid recommendation is worth more to me at the moment, given that I don't own a drawer full of 12AU7's to try. Furthermore, I don't have a problem supporting a small audio company like Woo Audio who's making products I enjoy and appreciate. This said, obviously everyone has to make such a decision for themselves. I'm sure my logic will seem like madness to some. 

Jul 25, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #358 of 1,118
To each his own, but there is only one RCA Cleartop (a mid-1960's 12au7 ). Nos matched pairs go for $40-$70 from reputable dealers, rebranded pairs are cheaper but just as good. That said, I'm currently using a pair in my WA7tp and they sound amazing!

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #360 of 1,118
Dropped in the clear tops nice nos 59 pair
Compared to the Sylvania 5814 , I prefer the mid and treble with the clear tops stronger mids and cleaner treble bass was better with the 5814

They look great too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back