Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jun 22, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #34,038 of 42,298
  No more DACT CT2 balanced stereo stepped attenuator on WA22 produced lately? This is the WA22 I received 2 weeks ago.

Great news, that was one of the things holding back the WA22. It makes no sense to use a stepped attenuator with balanced inputs because stray DC that would otherwise be cancelled out causes noise during steps.

Jun 22, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #34,039 of 42,298
That's good to know Stereolab42 since I've also only owned my wa22 for about 5 weeks, I get no noise whatsoever cool thanks..

Jun 23, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #34,040 of 42,298
  No more DACT CT2 balanced stereo stepped attenuator on WA22 produced lately? This is the WA22 I received 2 weeks ago.

I wish my WA22 didn't come with the stepped attenuator. Sometimes it's hard to hit the sweet spot with stepped attenuator.

Jun 23, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #34,041 of 42,298

Great news, that was one of the things holding back the WA22. It makes no sense to use a stepped attenuator with balanced inputs because stray DC that would otherwise be cancelled out causes noise during steps.

Were is the stray DC coming from the DAC??

Jun 23, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #34,042 of 42,298

Yup. They explain it with "It is possible however to see more significant DC offset with reference to ground. Different DAC chips produce different offset." Completely harmeless normally because it gets cancelled out when one signal gets inverted and added to the other, but with the volume control operating on the signals before that stage, you get noise as the DC is cut in and cut out between steps.

Jun 23, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #34,043 of 42,298

Yup. They explain it with "It is possible however to see more significant DC offset with reference to ground. Different DAC chips produce different offset." Completely harmeless normally because it gets cancelled out when one signal gets inverted and added to the other, but with the volume control operating on the signals before that stage, you get noise as the DC is cut in and cut out between steps.

DC offset is completely unacceptable what if it was plugged into a direct coupled SS amp. It would amplify
the DC and blow the speakers.
If DAC manufacture cant design a circuit without DC offset they should have output capacitors to block the DC.   
The amp manufacture has to change there product to compensate for poor design on the part of the DAC company's What.  

Jun 23, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #34,044 of 42,298

DC offset is completely unacceptable what if it was plugged into a direct coupled SS amp. It would amplify
the DC and blow the speakers.
If DAC manufacture cant design a circuit without DC offset they should have output capacitors to block the DC.   
The amp manufacture has to change there product to compensate for poor design on the part of the DAC company's What.  

It's only on the balanced outputs and only on hot wire wrt ground and cold wire wrt ground, so therefore shouldn't the DC cancel out (just like any other noise) during the inversion and addition process (which is before amplification)?

Jun 23, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #34,045 of 42,298
Quick listen tonight
596 rectifier - excellent (slightly warm/muddy)
6f8g nu - seem muddy w/596 combo
6f8g ts - smooth more refined airy w/596 combo
6sn7 nu - even smoother. Detail upon detail. Feel like I'm in the room with bad as they are recording. Hear chairs squeaking and all. W/596 combo.
Brimar 5z4g will be here tomorrow.(hopefully) Look forward to trying it with the same drivers.
Have a great evening.

Jun 24, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #34,048 of 42,298

The DC offset is not going to get through the coupling caps that are blocking DC anyway. And defiantly not getting through the output transformers.
This can screw up the bias on the 6SN7. It just not supposed to be there don't know how DAC company's think this is acceptable.  

Jun 24, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #34,049 of 42,298

Office WA5-LE  (upgraded) has arrived. Yes, that's a 5/8" bike lock in the background (and not the only security protecting this baby, not by a long shot... if you can steal this and get away with it you deserve it.) I guess I'm keeping the WA6-SE it replaces as a backup for now; it's a great amp for the price, but doesn't hold a candle to 300B.

Nice, are those RCA black glass I can see?

Jun 24, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #34,050 of 42,298
Quick listen tonight
596 rectifier - excellent (slightly warm/muddy)
6f8g nu - seem muddy w/596 combo
6f8g ts - smooth more refined airy w/596 combo
6sn7 nu - even smoother. Detail upon detail. Feel like I'm in the room with bad as they are recording. Hear chairs squeaking and all. W/596 combo.
Brimar 5z4g will be here tomorrow.(hopefully) Look forward to trying it with the same drivers.
Have a great evening.

I am glad you are liking the 596. I normally run them with TS 6F8G round plates.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back