Woo Audio 2 vs. Zana Deux?
Feb 19, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #16 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by glitch39 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To the OP - DO NOT skimp on your source. Remember GIGO.

Money saved on the amp shoud be put toward your dac imo

Thanks. This is why I am writing and asking around. What would be wrong with this set-up using an iPod and Wadia iTransport? Also, for some reason the "search" function on this site doesn't seem to be working like it used to so it is difficult for me to find information sometimes. Another question I had along the lines of amps, given that the Zana might be a great fit with the HD800: What Class A amp would give the Zana a run for its money?

Feb 19, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #17 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobsmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dunno, I like the look of the WA2 much better, especially with some nice ST shape power tubes...

I love the look of the WA2 as well. Also, from what I hear, the WA2 has a more tube like sound signature which I prefer.

Feb 19, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #18 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What Class A amp would give the Zana a run for its money?

almost all headphone amps run class-A. The odd exception being given to SRPP, which can run class-AB. Some lower end SS gear also runs class-AB, but that dosnt seem to be what you are looking at at all.

Its really going to depend on how the amp matches up with the headphones.

if you want the easy answer: its an awesome amp, and it will leave most lesser amps in the dust ignoring some fortuitous pairing. buy it.

The answer gets trickier when you ask: Whether its a pairing that is worth its price (which is what it really seems like you are asking, and is somewhat SUBJECTIVE and NEEDS to be heard although there is often a "majority opinion" after a bunch of people have heard the pairing.) which is unknown to anyone at this point.

By a pairing worth its price I mean: do the headphones sound better on a less expensive amp because of some synergy? yes: your wallet got had, shoulda bought the cheaper amp! no: good deal, its a pimping system.

Feb 19, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #20 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
almost all headphone amps run class-A. The odd exception being given to SRPP, which can run class-AB. Some lower end SS gear also runs class-AB, but that dosnt seem to be what you are looking at at all.

Its really going to depend on how the amp matches up with the headphones.

if you want the easy answer: its an awesome amp, and it will leave most lesser amps in the dust ignoring some fortuitous pairing. buy it.

The answer gets trickier when you ask: Whether its a pairing that is worth its price (which is what it really seems like you are asking, and is somewhat SUBJECTIVE and NEEDS to be heard although there is often a "majority opinion" after a bunch of people have heard the pairing.) which is unknown to anyone at this point.

By a pairing worth its price I mean: do the headphones sound better on a less expensive amp because of some synergy? yes: your wallet got had, shoulda bought the cheaper amp! no: good deal, its a pimping system.

Thanks for the correction nikongod. What I meant was solid-state Class A amp. Supposedly there are solid-state amps made now that sound very tube like. Also, does anyone have an opinion of running a system consisting of the Zana and HD800 with an iPod and Wadia iTransport?

Feb 19, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #21 of 88
I abx the Singlepower Extreme with upgrades, a Darkvoice(the owner said designed like the Woo2 but unconfirmed) and a Zana Deux at the LA meet. I used HP650s and DX1000s. I had been planning on buying a Woo and budget $1300. But I was so impressed with the Zana Deux-in a differeny class, that I ordered one. There was my comparison even though it dramatically stretched my budget the difference justified it.

Feb 19, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #22 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I abx the Singlepower Extreme with upgrades, a Darkvoice(the owner said designed like the Woo2 but unconfirmed) and a Zana Deux at the LA meet. I used HP650s and DX1000s. I had been planning on buying a Woo and budget $1300. But I was so impressed with the Zana Deux-in a differeny class, that I ordered one. There was my comparison even though it dramatically stretched my budget the difference justified it.

And the Extreme & Woo is half the price of the ZD. Now if your talking about the Platinum with upgrades and the separate power supply, or a Supra your getting a fair fight. The tranny on the extreme just don't do what that Plitron can. Blackgate everything with a stepped attenuator and tweak the tubes to match the hp in question with the other two and the decision isn't so easy.

This is not to say the Woo or SP is unquestionably better or worse. The genre, source and hp all play into the equation. If I owned the ZD, I'd be content. I do own "the other" and am content. All these "what's best" questions are novice driven to find the best bang. Mostly, it breaks down to 'no it's not", "Yes it is". At this price range ($2.5k), they should all be great.

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #23 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And the Extreme & Woo is half the price of the ZD. Now if your talking about the Platinum with upgrades and the separate power supply, or a Supra your getting a fair fight. The tranny on the extreme just don't do what that Plitron can. Blackgate everything with a stepped attenuator and tweak the tubes to match the hp in question with the other two and the decision isn't so easy.

This is not to say the Woo or SP is unquestionably better or worse. The genre, source and hp all play into the equation. If I owned the ZD, I'd be content. I do own "the other" and am content. All these "what's best" questions are novice driven to find the best bang. Mostly, it breaks down to 'no it's not", "Yes it is". At this price range ($2.5k), they should all be great.

Agreed, and I actually did enjoy the other amps, I do believe the Singlepower was upgraded in that Mikel (?) Was there and sent me over to it saying that with those upgrades the SP was $2100-$2200. I am not sure what the exact upgrades were just the price quoted that compared with the Zana Deux. Actually best bang was the Darkvoice (it did have a very good source though) it sounded great. I didn't want to have to upgrade again or wonder what I was missing though and the Zana was a sure thing that I checked with the phones I would be using, So it won.

Edit-the Zana at that point was less-$1800.I think but as I ordered the price had increased to $2200.--that was
The most recent run, being delivered now.

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #24 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the correction nikongod. What I meant was solid-state Class A amp. Supposedly there are solid-state amps made now that sound very tube like. Also, does anyone have an opinion of running a system consisting of the Zana and HD800 with an iPod and Wadia iTransport?

For SS, you can take a look at the Luxman P-1. It seems to be getting very positive reviews and from what I've gathered, it leans to the warmer side of neutral. And at $2400, it's in the same price range as the Zana. Although it's still not 'very tube like' if that's what you're looking for.

As for iPod/iTransport, I think the correct question is what Dac will you be using. The iTransport is still a digital transport. A decent CD transport paired with a good Dac should still give you good results so unless the iTransport's digital out is less than decent (which I don't believe it to be the case), then your result will all depend on what Dac you'll be using. Needless to say, I don't assume you'll be pairing a Zana with a Dac of much lesser quality.

Feb 20, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #25 of 88
My plan is that once I get my current obligations paid off, I will be laying aside $100 a month for 24 months to get the Zana Deux. Not too bad considering what some people spend on cable and cellphone bills. I need to try and lock in the price before it shoots up again though.

Feb 20, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #26 of 88
You will be in love. Looking forward to your grins. Two years may get to be a long wait though. Got a spare kidney?

By the way, keep an eye on the FS thread. Not too often, but they do show up for around $1600 used. I have friend who got his that way.

Feb 20, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #27 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....Two years may get to be a long wait though. Got a spare kidney?

Lol!
eek.gif

Feb 20, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #28 of 88
The current price for Zana Deux is $2200 with all the tubes included, not $2500.

The current run Balancing Act costs $3200 with all the tubes included ( 2 x 307A, 1 x 6SN7, 2 x 6X4 ). I don't know what Craig has decided or will decide regarding the next run, but he mentioned that he may increase the cost of the amp, since the parts are costing more than he anticipated or he will keep the price close to what he is asking now and will scale down the design of the amp.

Feb 20, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #30 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmashta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For SS, you can take a look at the Luxman P-1. It seems to be getting very positive reviews and from what I've gathered, it leans to the warmer side of neutral. And at $2400, it's in the same price range as the Zana. Although it's still not 'very tube like' if that's what you're looking for.

As for iPod/iTransport, I think the correct question is what Dac will you be using. The iTransport is still a digital transport. A decent CD transport paired with a good Dac should still give you good results so unless the iTransport's digital out is less than decent (which I don't believe it to be the case), then your result will all depend on what Dac you'll be using. Needless to say, I don't assume you'll be pairing a Zana with a Dac of much lesser quality.

Thanks for the information. I will do some research on the Luxman P-1. As much as I love tubes, I am not entirely convinced that tubes would be the way to go with the HD800. I am also not entirely convinced of the HD800, for that matter, since it has yet to be released. The Zana Deux is just so enticing however. In any case, this reference grade headphone system is adding up in $$$. Now I will need a reference grade DAC. I thought I would be squeaking by with just the iPod, Wadia, Zana, and HD800. I forgot about adding a DAC in the chain. Doh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back