Wolfson DAC confirmed for Galaxy S3!
May 29, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #241 of 947
Quote:
I'm not sure if it was covered already in the 40834 previous pages, but: US users be aware...I believe we're getting the snapdragon version due to compatibility issues with LTE & Voodoo is only happening for the quad core chipset.

https://twitter.com/supercurio/status/206759934891790336

Oh, boooo!  
mad.gif

I don't really care about LTE.  4G and 3G are fine as it is.  If that's the case, I may just keep my SG2 and get a Rocoo Studio V for music...

May 29, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #242 of 947
Quote:

Oh, boooo!  
mad.gif

I don't really care about LTE.  4G and 3G are fine as it is.  If that's the case, I may just keep my SG2 and get a Rocoo Studio V for music...

Or import one from UK or something...check clove as you dont have to pay VAT so it will be cheap for you!

May 30, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #245 of 947
I just got mine. But I am going to wait for a few days before rooting it. Any links to simple instructions??

I will try out the USB DAC function later to confirm if it won't work: (  Hopefully all these little problem could be fixed...

As for SQ, it sounds ok so far...not great... just ok.

May 30, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #246 of 947
Quote:
I just got mine. But I am going to wait for a few days before rooting it. Any links to simple instructions??

I will try out the USB DAC function later to confirm if it won't work: (  Hopefully all these little problem could be fixed...

Well as soon as I get mine I will be throwing this ROM on there which is pre rooted...(make a backup brefore flashing though) 
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1663656

If for some reason you dont fancy that then here is just the rooted kernel (much more complicated process than installing the ROM haha) http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1660918
Guide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O4C7-S_pBM

I would advise if your not confident on how to do this after the vid, then either install the rooted ROM or just wait until an easier rooting method surfaces which shouldnt take long as Devs are starting to get their phones!

(have a good read before you do any of this though, always better to know what your going into)

Good luck! 

May 30, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #248 of 947
Quote:
Awesome! Thank you very much! I will refer people to this post if people ever asked....
I hope you get yours soon. So far, the phone runs super smooth.

Np...also keep a look out for Supercurio´s Voodoo app which will improve SQ! And replace the default music player with Playerpro or poweramp! (worth the money 100%) 

Good luck!

May 30, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #249 of 947
Got mine now, first in New Zealand to get it at the midnight sale (queued 7 hours to be first!). More later...

May 30, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #250 of 947
Quote:

What earphones are you using?

May 30, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #251 of 947
Interesting developments with the release software for the S3:

My E17 failed with the S3 I used two weeks ago (pre-release firmware etc) - sound was routed through loudspeaker.

Today with my release firmware one the E17 still doesn't work, however sound doesn't go through the loudspeaker anymore, and furthermore when I go into the stock player and try to change audio effects it says "not available for line out connection".

Furthermore, another user at XDA says this: "I got my sgs3 a few hours ago and just plugged it into my topping tp30 USB DAC/pre-amp and it's playing audio through it to my speakers!!!"

Upshot is I believe USB audio may very well work on certain USB DACs... Would be great if someone could try out earlier FiiOs like the E7 which appears to be much more widely compatible than the E17 (for example E17 doesn't work with Nokia N8 but others like the E7 do).

May 30, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #252 of 947
If the S3 can output USB audio, it should work with a FiiO E17 via a powered USB hub.

E17 can not support iPad/iPad2 because it consume about 150mA current from the USB port which is exceed what iPad can provide. even when the USB charge is turn off! 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/587912/fiio-e17-alpen-first-impression-final-thought/930#post_8105545

I think it's been covered much earlier in this thread or perhaps in another thread, but I though I'd post it anyhow.

Below is the kludge I've worked up to get digital audio out of my iPad and into my E17.  Luckily, I'm not in the habit of trying to lug this around with me, but it's nice to know I can if I want to.

1. iPad 1 WiFi 64GB (from Apple)
2. iPad Camera Connection Kit (from Apple)
3. GearHead UH2100 4-port USB 2.0 Hub (from Fry's Electronics) [Any hub should work]
4. Targus APB25US Battery Backup (also from Fry's) [Cheapest one I could find]
5. FiiO E17 DAC/Amp (from B&H Photo)
6. Hosa MHE-100.5 1/8" right angle to 1/4" adapter (from Best Buy) [Optional, reduces stress on E17 output jack]
7. Sennheiser HD598 (from Amazon) [Substitute your own cans]
8. 2x USB A to 1x Mini B Cable (from my own supplies, like this one on Newegg)

How To
1) Turn USB charging off on E17
2) Connect items 2 through 8
    (Ensure the power USB connector is in the battery backup and the data USB connector is in the hub)
3) Turn on E17
4) Push button on Targus battery backup
5) Connect items 1 and 2 (Battery has to be feeding E17 before connecting the iPad)

What's Happening
The battery backup supplies the E17 with the 5 V, 150 mA it uses (even with USB charging off).
I really thought this would work without the hub, but alas, it does not.  I don't know exactly what the hub is doing in this setup (e.g. ensuring the battery doesn't try to charge the iPad or some other sort of electrical/signal isolation) - regardless, it's required.
This specific battery backup is rated at 3.7 V, 2000 mAh, so by my calculations, it will keep the E17 going to 9+ hours in this setup (make sure to turn USB charging off).

-IKE

Quote:
As I said in an earlier post I love this solution. However after experimenting I found that if you don't own a Y cable it isn't necessary to buy or create one. I just connect the portable power source into one port on the USB hub and the FiiO cable in to another.

Ian

http://www.head-fi.org/t/587912/fiio-e17-alpen-first-impression-final-thought/3510#post_8407505

May 30, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #253 of 947
Damn, you got my hopes up there, but it definitely doesn't work with an externally powered hub - just tried. It funks up playback though, stock player progress bar shows ~2x playback speed and PowerAMP skips 40s every couple of seconds, so it is definitely interfacing with the phone (after a fashion). Really need to try an E7 or similar driver-less solution.

May 31, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #254 of 947
IT is not working on my Keces DA151: (

Oh well,... I will keep experimenting with other DACs.

Oh,.. I am using both Magnum and UE10 on them. So far, even the stock player sounds alright... I gotta start rooting my phone later this afternoon....

May 31, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #255 of 947
The Topping TP30 is the one that another user says is working for them, I note it's a UAC1 device (like the E7). I suspect only this kind will work with the S3 (I believe the same is true of the N8).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back