- 738 Posts. Joined 2/2012
- Location: Portland, OR
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- FiiO E17 + L7 LOD + E11 = Brief Impression Last post on 9/13/13 at 10:07am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Fiio E17 to drive Sennheiser HD650? Last post on 7/12/13 at 4:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- New to amps...Help! Fiio E7 vs. Fiio E11 Last post on 1/26/13 at 7:09pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Sennheiser HD598 amp/dac Last post on 7/30/13 at 11:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Some advice for a portable amp/dac and home amp? Last post on 7/23/12 at 10:06pm in Portable Headphone Amps
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/16/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
Introduction First I want to start with an "I'm sorry" because I took so long to write this and to top it off, I feel as if the review was a "waste of time" because, well, I don't see it as very...
This is a review of the Noble 8c, an eight drivers 4 ways ciems. You could check the specs on the noble web site. Please be kind in your critics, as this is my first review ever, and that English...
Porta Pros simply made the biggest difference for me when listening to music as I have switched from some low-end sony in-ear to them and suddenly when playing the same song music became more rich...
From the moment Charles told me about the new project that he was working on, “Project Palaios”, I was intrigued. A wooden amp? That’s certainly not what you hear everyday and from the pictures...
Packaging and build: The packaging is minimal and exquisitely so. The extra tips filters and manual are behind the felt coated foam holding the earphones. As I gingerly dislodged them from the...
FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought - Page 235post #3511 of 62895/23/12 at 1:47amSo what is your opinion about headphones. Lately i feel like most headphones can be equalized to sound good. I started off my headfi journey thinking I was only gonna get the best unadulterated sound with very neutral phones.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3512 of 62895/23/12 at 10:37ampost #3513 of 62895/24/12 at 6:29am
any chance a future firmware update could enable support for 88.2kHz via USB?
Or maybe it's been already fixed? (sorry I can't really go through this thread's 235 pages)
this is the deal-breaker for me, I would really love to get the E17...
Edited by Nando1970 - 5/24/12 at 6:36ampost #3514 of 62895/24/12 at 6:46amWhy such a sampling rate? Ill be that guy and say that most cant tell the difference from sampling to 96KHz as the Samping rate following Nyquists theory is already twice Nyquists theory.post #3515 of 62895/24/12 at 8:15amThread StarterQuote:
It is impossible to decode 88.2Hz as the USB receiver doesn't support it. However, there is a easy fix. You can try to use software player like FooBar2000 that supports upsampling so all your 88.2Hz file will be upsample to 96kHz on the output. It won't improve the SQ though.post #3516 of 62895/24/12 at 10:19am
As I said in an earlier post I love this solution. However after experimenting I found that if you don't own a Y cable it isn't necessary to buy or create one. I just connect the portable power source into one port on the USB hub and the FiiO cable in to another.
IanQuote:Originally Posted by IKE60
I think it's been covered much earlier in this thread or perhaps in another thread, but I though I'd post it anyhow.
Below is the kludge I've worked up to get digital audio out of my iPad and into my E17. Luckily, I'm not in the habit of trying to lug this around with me, but it's nice to know I can if I want to.
1. iPad 1 WiFi 64GB (from Apple)
2. iPad Camera Connection Kit (from Apple)
8. 2x USB A to 1x Mini B Cable (from my own supplies, like this one on Newegg)
1) Turn USB charging off on E17
2) Connect items 2 through 8
(Ensure the power USB connector is in the battery backup and the data USB connector is in the hub)
3) Turn on E17
4) Push button on Targus battery backup
5) Connect items 1 and 2 (Battery has to be feeding E17 before connecting the iPad)
The battery backup supplies the E17 with the 5 V, 150 mA it uses (even with USB charging off).
I really thought this would work without the hub, but alas, it does not. I don't know exactly what the hub is doing in this setup (e.g. ensuring the battery doesn't try to charge the iPad or some other sort of electrical/signal isolation) - regardless, it's required.
This specific battery backup is rated at 3.7 V, 2000 mAh, so by my calculations, it will keep the E17 going to 9+ hours in this setup (make sure to turn USB charging off).
-IKEpost #3517 of 62895/24/12 at 8:20pmI don't have a USB male-to-male cable, so the one I used was the best portable solution for me. Anyone who doesn't need portability can just plug the iPad and E17 into a wall-powered hub.post #3518 of 62895/25/12 at 3:34amThat's what I did. With shared iTunes libraries, I can now get a digital out of all my lossless music anywhere in the house. Once again, thanks for suggesting this solution.
BTW anyone else driving their AKGs with the E17? Am I crazy to think that this little amp drives the K702 very nicely?
Edited by schuh - 5/25/12 at 3:37ampost #3519 of 62895/25/12 at 3:42amI have Q701s. Yes it does drive it nicely. Oldies and some classic that doesnt go up to the 96dB ceiling(of 16bit dynamic range) and are a lot lower have some trouble getting to rock hard volume(dont do that) but otherwise it has enough power for the Q701spost #3520 of 62895/25/12 at 6:49amQuote:Originally Posted by xeroian
Only possible complication is that the USB cable does need to be good quality. I had always rubbished the idea that USB cables can sound different. Then last week I mistakenly used a cheapo USB between DAC and iPAD. I couldn't work out why the sound from the E17 had such a ragged top end, then I realised what I had done.
First let me reiterate my situation. I've been using the E17 with my iPad via CCK and USB hub to play 96khz-24bit FLAC files using FLAC Player. Up until the iOS was updated to 5.1, this set up worked perfectly. After the iOS update to 5.1 I get what sounds like distortion (maybe it is this "ragged top end" you speak of) on any files that are above 48khz. They can be FLAC files on FLAC Player or AIFF files on the Apple music player - it doesn't matter. I've worked with Dan Leehr (FLAC Player developer) to see if he could do anything to no avail. I'm desparately seeking a solution!! My "portable" Hi-Res DAP is rendered useless because of this.
So, a few questions to you... First, are you listening to files that are higher than 48khz when you hear this "ragged top end"? Second, are you using a 2x USB A to 1x Mini B Cable like what Ike shows in his diagram? If you are just using a powered USB Hub, what brand and model is it? What brand and model USB cables are you using?
Thanks!post #3521 of 62895/25/12 at 7:02amQuote:
Agreed. Some older recordings don't have enough volume, at least with the gain at +6. That's as high as I'll take the gain. To me the +12 setting sounds too grainy. Most of my recordings sound great though, plenty loud and clear enough. The E17 is also pretty quiet at +6, no hiss.post #3522 of 62895/25/12 at 7:04ampost #3523 of 62895/25/12 at 7:30amQuote:That is why I use replaygain. Approximately the same volume on all albums, and hence no need to change volume at each new album.Originally Posted by schuh
Agreed. Some older recordings don't have enough volume, at least with the gain at +6. That's as high as I'll take the gain. To me the +12 setting sounds too grainy. Most of my recordings sound great though, plenty loud and clear enough. The E17 is also pretty quiet at +6, no hiss.post #3524 of 62895/25/12 at 7:36am@rikkun
Would replaygain be software or hardware based? For you that is? The E17 has no such hardware for that so its software which adds my question of how efficent and good the "replygain" is. Of course this differs from which one you use.... Which one do you use and is the one you use for foobar?
Any audible loss of quality or addition of artifacts or distortion?post #3525 of 62895/25/12 at 7:50amQuote:
I'm interested in this, but I almost always use my iPad (either the Remote app or shared library) and I've gotten used to just changing the volume from the iPad. I've tried gain levelers in the past and found that they degrade the music.
- FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...
- › Dunu DN-1000 - Dunu's hybrid IEM - Appreciation thread 14 seconds ago
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 18 seconds ago
- › Unofficial V-MODA XL Pads thread. 20 seconds ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 55 seconds ago
- › Cello music! 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Listened to old Sennheiser 595 and looking for something similar :) 1 minute ago
- › Best Headphones under $100 Without an Amp? 1 minute ago
- › Home-Made IEMs 2 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 3 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Noble Audio 8C by John0405
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › JVC HAS160B FLATS Lightweight Headband Headphones (Black) by Lokip000
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe