Wish I'd found this place sooner
May 13, 2013 at 1:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

extech

New Head-Fier
oh well... I'd like some expert opinions on the headphones I just bought. Monoprice (quite an odd name) 8323. When I googled for reviews, this site unfortunately didn't come up. They sound pretty good to me, but I wonder what the experts think?

May 13, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #5 of 30
May 13, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #6 of 30
Quote:
Thanks, I just read the review. Initially seems like I could have done worse. Can someone explain what "DJ style" and "soundstage" mean?

DJ-style - DJ's requirements, like sealed back headphones with enhanced bass, and cups that swivel on its mount so they can listen through the music on just one ear holding it with one hand while manipulating their gear with the other hand and the other ear listens to how it all comes out through the club on the speakers

Soundstage - reproduction of the simulated placements of the instruments on stage (during recording, you do this through relative positioning with the recording microphone as well as balance control on the mastering). Read more on this, and other terminologies, on the links below:
http://www.head-fi.org/a/glossary-of-terms
http://www.head-fi.org/t/220770/describing-sound-a-glossary

May 14, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #7 of 30
Thank you. That is interesting. I wonder about soundstage - is there general agreement about it or is it purely subjective? I can sort of understand how in the recording one might be able to hear how much distance there is between an instrument and the mic, but beyond that, i.e. the difference in angle between two equidistant instruments, it's hard to imagine any way that information can be transmitted. As far as the headphones are concerned, how can they affect this?

May 14, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #8 of 30
^A very good question, indeed.

I can't really answer you, but much of it is about how sound decays within the headphone/ears. Most music is made for playback on speakers, so soundstage will not be rendered correctly. Binaural music is made for headphones.

Soundstage can be deep, wide and high. If a headphone has a soundstage that lacks depth, you will feel that you are hit by a 'wall' of sound IME. If it lacks width, music seems to be crammed together IME.

There is another side of the coin when speaking soundstage: Imaging. Imaging is how precise and defined instruments are WITHIN the soundstage. For example with the hifiman HE-500, instruments beside you/to the left or to the right seems very defined, but sounds like vocals coming from the front/middle seems a bit smeared IME.

Hope that helps

May 14, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #9 of 30
Yes, it does help. The single question I would ask is, is there unanimity of opinion re soundstage, partial agreement, or is the accuracy of soundstage a purely subjective experience? Have there been controlled tests done to determine this?

May 14, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #10 of 30
Iis a blessing to find this place LATER...:D

May 14, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #11 of 30
Soundstage is as objective as it gets in not-measurable audio, I guess. Often opinions are fairly consistent regarding soundstage Sometimes people tend to have different opinions on what depth, width and height is, though.

I can imagine soundstage can be slightly subjective from person to person.

May 14, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #12 of 30
There really isn't even a unanimous agreement on what soundstage is. I've always perceived it as the shape of the sound, the width of it and whatnot, but I've heard people refer to it as having to do with instrumental separation.

The truth is that with any headphone the real soundstage is just going to be two drivers right up to your ear. The perceived soundstage is completely subjective. And the biggest changes will come with DSPs and crossfeed rather than headphones.

May 14, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #13 of 30
I wouldn't call the perceived soundstage completely subjective. Often, most people have the same opinion on soundstage for a certain 'phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back