Windows vs Mac

Which desktop OS do you use on your personal machine?

• Windows

• Mac

• Linux

• Chrome OS

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jun 24, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #17 of 55
And Linux never was a viable mainstream OS for daily usage and gaming but, I guess, we will see what comes out off Valve's efforts with Steam Deck / Steam OS. Will probably take many years to evolve into something tangible.
GNU/Linux certainly is 'viable' and many people rely on it for daily usage. I've been using it (in the form of Trisquel) for 12+ years and it does everything I need it to do.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2022 at 8:14 AM Post #18 of 55
Was born raised and then weened off pc and windows. Went Mac, never looked back. It’s like a warm waterproof boot in the winter, like hell I’ll take it off

Jun 24, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #19 of 55
Things I like about Macs is the new continuity if you use multiple devices. I got to say, that is pretty slick. Also the automatic audio switching from device to device. In most cases, their design team seems to figure out what is 'practical,' so when they do use previous ideas, they do apply it in a more practical manner. There's also drawbacks to using a Mac.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #20 of 55
Mac just works.

Jun 24, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #24 of 55
… usually.
:o2smile: as I was reading this, my Safari crashed on my 2021 MBP...

Can I just say 2021 MBP is the best laptop I have used - I have been in this game since Pentium OG laptops...lol

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #25 of 55
Mac just works.
Imo, it does much more than that — it works smoothly.

Have you ever tried Meze's Empyrean? If so, do you know how damn smoothly the ear-cups rotate? Well, that's how I see Mac.

I have an Early 2015 MacBook Pro and never had major issues. Sure, I've had a "blue screen" once or twice, and the mac itself froze a bunch of times, but that hasn't happened in months. Lol, but then I remember I'm still staying on the safe side and am using macOS Mojave.

Also, I'm the usual stereotypical Mac user... I use my Mac primarily for internet cruising, watching YT videos, and watching movies. So, I guess it's expected that such light use would run smoothly :)

At the end of the day, I love macOS and how everything is on it. I think that for light use it's much faster and more convenient than on Windows (which I always saw as an OS for advanced users who need very specific "things"). For basic users like myself, Mac is the way to go.

My confessions is that, yes, I'm that guy.

Jun 24, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #26 of 55

Have you ever tried Meze's Empyrean? If so, do you know how damn smoothly the ear-cups rotate? Well, that's how I see Mac.

I have an Early 2015 MacBook Pro and never had major issues. Sure, I've had a "blue screen" once or twice, and the mac itself froze a bunch of times, but that hasn't happened in months. Lol, but then I remember I'm still staying on the safe side and am using macOS Mojave.

Also, I'm the usual stereotypical Mac user... I use my Mac primarily for internet cruising, watching YT videos, and watching movies. So, I guess it's expected that such light use would run smoothly :)

At the end of the day, I love macOS and how everything is on it. I think that for light use it's much faster and more convenient than on Windows (which I always saw as an OS for advanced users who need very specific "things"). For basic users like myself, Mac is the way to go.

I run my 2021 MBP like its my b... - I got like 500+ tabs open across Safari and Chrome, 10+ spreadsheets open at any given time, 20+ PDFs open, 5+ PPTs. I also participate in various Zoom/MS Teams meetings, which I use Xsplit and OBS (so this like I am streaming live) to make me look more professional. My Windows machine would have died multiple times over with this type of load. :beerchug:

Jun 24, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #27 of 55
I run my 2021 MBP like its my b... - I got like 500+ tabs open across Safari and Chrome, 10+ spreadsheets open at any given time, 20+ PDFs open, 5+ PPTs. I also participate in various Zoom/MS Teams meetings, which I use Xsplit and OBS (so this like I am streaming live) to make me look more professional. My Windows machine would have died multiple times over with this type of load. :beerchug:
That's similar to what I do hahahaha

Except I took a step away from Chrome because it couldn't bare 20-30 open tabs at the same time and it would crash on its own. I've since permanently moved to Waterfox and have not regretted it, not for one second!

Waterfox also crashed, but I figured out what was causing it: Auto Updates. Turned them off and haven't had a crash since =)

What I wanted to say is that I don't do any hardware-demanding processes such as video editing and stuff like that. I would assume problems are more common when you do heavy stuff like that.

Jun 24, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #28 of 55

Thing is, the solidity of the software and UE generally causes any faults, bugs or questionable design choices really stand out. So while it’s true that when it works it works great, there are enough times when it decidedly doesn’t work to kinda take the heat out of their “it just works” tag line.

But as I said up above, I agree with pretty much everything you said.

Jun 24, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #29 of 55

Except I took a step away from Chrome because it couldn't bare 20-30 open tabs at the same time and it would crash on its own. I've since permanently moved to Waterfox and have not regretted it, not for one second!

Waterfox also crashed, but I figured out what was causing it: Auto Updates. Turned them off and haven't had a crash since =)

What I wanted to say is that I don't do any hardware-demanding processes such as video editing and stuff like that. I would assume problems are more common when you do heavy stuff like that.
I think OBS and XSplit are pretty heavy load on GPU - I constantly see 80%+ GPU usage on the 10core M1Pro when I have those 2 running - good bit of stuff in OBS.

Jun 24, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #30 of 55

Personally I would recommend LibreWolf over Waterfox, Waterfox was sold in 2020 to an ad company, System1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back