Will there ever be a Stax Omega III?
Apr 9, 2005 at 12:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

BANGPOD

1000+ Head-Fier
Head-Fi'ers --

As the title states, do you think there will ever be a Stax Omega III?
biggrin.gif

If so, when do you think it would be released (how long between models)?
Do you think it will replace the Omega II or mutually coincide with it?

What changes do you think would be made to it, if this ever happened?
How much do you think it would cost (if not as much as the Omega II)?
Lastly, do you think they will continue the color choice (brown/black)?

BANGPOD

Apr 9, 2005 at 12:44 AM Post #2 of 23
Double post. Sorry.

Apr 9, 2005 at 12:44 AM Post #3 of 23
That's a lot of questions, and of course nobody knows the answers at this point.

My guess is that there will be an Omega III or some sort, but perhaps by a different name. It will replace the Omega II, will cost at least as much, will look fairly similar in terms of design and colors, and will have a somewhat similar sonic signature, except with less dominant bass (i.e., not as 'dark'). I'd expect to see such a product sometime within the next 5 years, but not within the next year or two.

Apr 9, 2005 at 12:45 AM Post #4 of 23
I have no idea
icon10.gif
But if you are planning to purchase an Omega II and thinking an "Omega III" will dilute your "investment", think Sony R10 v. Qualia 010. So, the more important question is not whether there will be an Omega III, but whether you like the sound of the current Omega II enough to shell out the dough.

---Pat

Apr 9, 2005 at 1:00 AM Post #5 of 23
i'm currently designing a proposed Omega III. it will be a bit of a departure, as it uses electromuffin transducers. not only will it sound great, it will make a delicious after dinner snack.

Apr 9, 2005 at 1:33 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
That's a lot of questions, and of course nobody knows the answers at this point.

Mr. McManus --

Of course, there are no definitive answers to any of my questions.
I am asking said questions because it seems though-provoking...
wink.gif

I am eager to hear about what other people think Stax is planning.
This, again, is meant to be entertaining -- I do not work for Stax.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by PATB
I have no idea
icon10.gif
But if you are planning to purchase an Omega II and thinking an "Omega III" will dilute your "investment", think Sony R10 v. Qualia 010. So, the more important question is not whether there will be an Omega III, but whether you like the sound of the current Omega II enough to shell out the dough.

---Pat

PATB --

You read my mind like a book! I enjoy the sound of the current Omega II...
But the though of an Omega III makes me weary of spending a lot of money.
I do not want this thread to be about me, so let us please stay on topic.
biggrin.gif

This is purely hypothetical, a Head-Fi thread for a nice change of pace!

Let us keep this discussion rolling -- maybe Stax will stumble on it?
eek.gif

BANGPOD

Apr 9, 2005 at 9:05 AM Post #7 of 23
Sure there will, and maybe the Omega III will eventually be replaced by an Omega iV, time doesn't stand still. If you own an O2 it won't suddenly sound worse just because the arrival of a successor, however, so what's to worry about?

Apr 9, 2005 at 10:22 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterR
Sure there will, and maybe the Omega III will eventually be replaced by an Omega iV, time doesn't stand still. If you own an O2 it won't suddenly sound worse just because the arrival of a successor, however, so what's to worry about?

I totaly agree with that. If you like the Omega 2 and can afford it, then get it. Who knows, maybe the Omega 3 would sound totaly different and you maybe will not like it. It probably would replace the O2, so the then old O2 would be hard to get soon and become a collectors item, like the original Omega or the HE90. There are lots of people that like original Omega more then the Omega 2 and are willing to pay lots of money for this old headphone. You don't lose anything if you buy the O2 now, and upgrade if you like the O3 more. To find in few years rare O2 might be not that easy. Also think how nice it is when you could enjoy perfect music pleasure now and don't have to wait years or maybe forever for an successor of the O2.
You also should think about it that electrostatic headphones are just a very small bussiness. Stax had to stop bussiness once, and also Sennheiser and AKG don't produce electrostatics anymore. The only non Stax electrostatic headphone that is really available is the Koss ESP 950. Lets hope Stax will be able to produce great headphones for many, many more years to come. If you buy the Omega 2 you at least support them, if everyone waits for the O3 they probably will went out of bussiness again.
frown.gif

Apr 9, 2005 at 1:19 PM Post #9 of 23
Well rumor has it that Stax has already designed the replacement for the SR-007 but they are still selling so they do not want to replace it yet. I don't know if this is true but the SR-Sigma Pro came out in 1987, the SR-Omega in 1993 and the SR-007 in 1998 so they are due for a new flagship.

Apr 9, 2005 at 6:13 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer
Well rumor has it that Stax has already designed the replacement for the SR-007 but they are still selling so they do not want to replace it yet. I don't know if this is true but the SR-Sigma Pro came out in 1987, the SR-Omega in 1993 and the SR-007 in 1998 so they are due for a new flagship.

spritzer --

Where did you hear about that? Was it through Head-Fi or, perhaps, another forum?
Why might they continue selling a product that they already have a replacement for?

Unless the new model sells for the same price, there will be business for the older one.
Some consumers will want to own the Stax sound, but cannot afford the flagship model.
So, a more expensive and newer Stax Omega III could stimulate interest in the Omega II.
Just as the Omega II's presence makes lower models seem like a bargain (which they are).

There are many companies out there who produce flagship models without financial gain.

Speaking of flagships, I have a question:

As Sennheiser created the HE90/HEV90 (and to a lesser extent, the HE60/HEV70)...
Why has Stax not created a super-expensive electrostat to augment Omega II purchases?
I feel that both of the above were not created by Sennheiser to readily be sold to the public.
I feel that they have the technology to create something on par with the HE90/HEV90.
This would round out their product line, having an electrostat in every price range available.

Lastly, was a black Omega II ever available? It looks interesting...
Even though I find the brownish-champagne color to be appropriate.

BANGPOD

Apr 9, 2005 at 11:04 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer

Yes, I heard the same from a dealer. I was also told that there was a baby omega design, but Stax decided not to put it into production. There may be other products coming including a speaker system as well.

Apr 9, 2005 at 11:15 PM Post #12 of 23
There are many companies out there who produce flagship models without financial gain.

You have to remember that STAX went out of business TWICE.
They made lots of super expensive stuff no one ever bought.
Pure class A power amps that were 250 lbs per channel, speakers,
electrostatic phono cartridges, all sorts of nutty stuff.

Why has Stax not created a super-expensive electrostat

They did. It was called the Omega/T2. Very expensive, and very rare.
And evidently not very reliable either.

Lastly, was a black Omega II ever available?

The only black omegas were the original model.

You need to know that stax in the japanese home market is less than
50% of the USA price...

If they would get rid of the pair of dorks doing north america/canada
sales and get an importer that knew what they were doing they could
double or triple sales.

Apr 9, 2005 at 11:16 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken B
Yes, I heard the same from a dealer. I was also told that there was a baby omega design, but Stax decided not to put it into production. There may be other products coming including a speaker system as well.

Ken B, spritzer --

Is there any concrete evidence explaining what both of you have heard?
Maybe a statement from Stax, an advertisement for a dealer? SOMETHING!
biggrin.gif

Would I be able to call up Stax and get some definitive answers to said rumors?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore

You have to remember that STAX went out of business TWICE.
They made lots of super expensive stuff no one ever bought.
Pure class A power amps that were 250 lbs per channel, speakers,
electrostatic phono cartridges, all sorts of nutty stuff.

Why has Stax not created a super-expensive electrostat

They did. It was called the Omega/T2. Very expensive, and very rare.
And evidently not very reliable either.

Lastly, was a black Omega II ever available?

The only black omegas were the original model.

You need to know that stax in the japanese home market is less than
50% of the USA price...

If they would get rid of the pair of dorks doing north america/canada
sales and get an importer that knew what they were doing they could
double or triple sales.

Mr. Gilmore --

I never knew that STAX went out of business nor that they produced the T2 amplifier.
How much did it cost to buy the Omega with the T2 amplifier -- why/how was it different?
If I recal correctly, is said amplifier what you based your Blue Hawaii amplifier design on?

Power amplifiers, speakers, AND phono cartridges? WHERE HAVE I BEEN LATELY?
biggrin.gif

Rumor has it that a black version of the Omega II is available through a select dealer.

And with your last statement, you mean if Stax products could be imported at the local price?
I see what you are saying -- all of the Stax products I have seen are being sold for ludacrous prices...
Well if the dealers are the problem, then every consumer should order their products through Japan?

Thank you for such specific answers, Mr. Gilmore!
biggrin.gif

By the way, thank you for designing those electrostatic amplifiers -- I should have a solid state one soon!

BANGPOD

[size=xx-large]
P.S. BABY OMEGA SYSTEM, NOT IN PRODUCTION? WHY NOT?!?[/size]

Apr 9, 2005 at 11:31 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by BANGPOD
Ken B, spritzer --

Is there any concrete evidence explaining what both of you have heard?

BANGPOD

No, This is just second hand info I recieved from a dealer.

Apr 9, 2005 at 11:44 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken B
No, This is just second hand info I recieved from a dealer.

Ken B --

frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Can you just lie to me and tell me that it was true?
biggrin.gif

BANGPOD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back