will lossless make that much of a difference?
Sep 3, 2010 at 1:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 126

idvsego

100+ Head-Fier
I am trying to imporve my portable experience so I was takign a look at my audio rips.  My newer ones are all 320 MP3 rips but my older ones are all over the place.  So I am goign to rerip some stuff.  My question is would most people be able to tell the difference between a 320 MP3 and a WMA lossless file if I am using a Zune with no amp and a set of budget IEMs like the Visang R02?  And if there is a difference would it justify the space?  Either way I still plan on building a FLAC library on my PC for backup purposes, but just might not put them on the portable.

Sep 3, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #2 of 126
Doubt it. Most people can't tell the difference between FLAC and VBR0 files either...there are members here who have said they can ABX between the different files a high percentage of the time, but unless I know the track perfectly and have listened to it several times in a row, I can't tell the difference between FLAC and 320. I haven't done much testing with FLAC vs VBR0 (~256kbps...but it's variable of course), but from what I've heard there's not a huge difference there either...

Download Foobar and the ABX test, rip several songs that you know very well into FLAC, 320kbps, and VBR0...ABX all of them, i.e.

FLAC vs 320
FLAC vs VBR0
320 vs VBR0

Decide which format is best...on a few songs I can tell the difference between VBR0 and 320, and 320 and FLAC, but this is only on very select songs. Good luck

Sep 3, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #3 of 126
IMO lossless doesn't justify the space on portables given the available memory of 90% of players and listening conditions are rarely going to be perfect if you're taking it out of the house. Also worth thinking whether what you're listening to is the sort of stuff that would benefit/suffer (if at all). I can't imagine anyone on Head-Fi going "oh yeah man, that Agoraphobic Nosebleed sample is so obviously lossless!", for instance!

Sep 3, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #5 of 126
Even if you can ABX FLAC and a mp3 ask yourself this. Is this (slight) difference worth not having more music with me on the go?
I think in 98% of cases the answer is no.

It really comes down to the individual.

Things such as where you listen to your music (quiet or loud environments), if you can notice the differences and if you think it's worth it all all factors in making a informed decision.

Personally I use V0 transcoded from FLAC on the go (courtesy of J River Media Center) on my Clip+, FLAC on my 80gb iPod just because I can and I plan to use 320kbps mp3s with my incoming HM-602.

Sep 4, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #6 of 126
It really depends on how revaling your portable rig is. Starts from the player, interconnect cable, amp, IEM cables to the IEMs themselves.

Simple rule of thumb, the more money you spend, the more that will warrant FLAC over MP3.

Sep 4, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #7 of 126
Probably the worst rule of thumb/advice I've read on this site...  or anywhere else, for that matter... 

If you like your current equipment (or purchase equipment that FITS YOUR BUDGET), rip some files in each of the formats that you mentioned and determine which you like best. Then balance SQ with file size, etc. Then save your money for recordings.

Throwing money at device after device is hopelessly futile. You can get GREAT sound from very inexpensive equipment.

Quote:
It really depends on how revaling your portable rig is. Starts from the player, interconnect cable, amp, IEM cables to the IEMs themselves.

Simple rule of thumb, the more money you spend, the more that will warrant FLAC over MP3.

Sep 4, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #8 of 126

Quote:
Probably the worst rule of thumb/advice I've read on this site...  or anywhere else, for that matter... 

If you like your current equipment (or purchase equipment that FITS YOUR BUDGET), rip some files in each of the formats that you mentioned and determine which you like best. Then balance SQ with file size, etc. Then save your money for recordings.

Throwing money at device after device is hopelessly futile. You can get GREAT sound from very inexpensive equipment.

x2

Relatively cheap equipment can sound great. Thinking that spending more and more money in order to get a better sound is basically just paying for the placebo effect. "It is expensive so it HAS TO sound great!" It is best to do what nycbone suggests.

Perhaps I should consider my self lucky for not being able to hear any difference between MP3 files ripped at VBR0 and the original Wav file. This on my MP3 players, and despite having a pretty good ear for music after having played guitar for over 10 years. At 192kbps/VBR2 things like splash and smaller crash cymbals can sound a bit strange, but at higher bitrates that disappears. For portable use, MP3 files ripped at VBR0 is a great choice and completely transparent for the majority of people.

Sep 4, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #9 of 126
For your setup, no. You will not hear a difference. Lossless will shine on a much higher end system.

Sep 4, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #10 of 126

In your case I would use 320.

(I use lossless on everything, don't have a single file that is not.  Some are 24bit.  But it wasn't always that way). 

Portable is HM801->Pico amp->JH13 or ESW9 

Sep 4, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #11 of 126
I use flac purely because I'm digitzing my whole CD collection, and I can't be assed converting everytime I get a new CD to put onto my iPod. I have 80GB of storage and don't need to keep everything on there anyway.

Sep 5, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #12 of 126
I would suggest you use mp3fs   http://mp3fs.sourceforge.net/

It basically converts your flac collection to mp3 (any bitrate u set) on the fly while copying.  Check out the link for more info, its pretty cool.

Sep 5, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #13 of 126
Thank you! I am not saying paying more is definitely gonna get you better sound. However, for someone using ipod touch and let's say UM2 there is no need for lossless.

But for the set up below, it really makes sense to rip FLAC. Well,.. it depends on individuals' hearing sensitivity. For those that can't hear the difference there's really no need for lossless. However, ignorant is not bliss. Test your system first then decide.
Quote:

In your case I would use 320.

(I use lossless on everything, don't have a single file that is not.  Some are 24bit.  But it wasn't always that way). 

Portable is HM801->Pico amp->JH13 or ESW9 

Sep 6, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #15 of 126
My entire library is in Apple Lossless and will never turn back...I used to have all mp3 but head-fi changed that. Even though I have a very basic rig and may not be able to tell the difference at the moment, I know I will get 'upgarditis' and wont have to re convert my music!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back