Will EA be smart enough to get rid of Origin and just move over to Steam?
Mar 5, 2012 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

LFF

Co-Organizer for Can Jam '09
Member of the Trade: Paradox
I mean jeez....I just want to play BF3 on my PC but Origin makes it such a hassle.

Am I alone here?

Mar 5, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #2 of 10

Quote:
I mean jeez....I just want to play BF3 on my PC but Origin makes it such a hassle.

Am I alone here?

I wouldn't really call them dumb, the origin isn't doing so good and is just a burden. it's a thing mainly for the lower level pc gamers..i mean the high school and college kids that think they know their stuff and whip out their alienware's and what not. all the rest use STEAM. why not...just leave it there.

Mar 5, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #3 of 10
"Will EA be smart"

No. I would love to see them ditch Origin and send games back to Steam though.

Mar 6, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #4 of 10

Am I alone here?

No doubt you're not alone in this, but as long as people will still buy their products it's not likely that EA will change their policy. So I didn't buy BF3.:frowning2:

The only thing you can do now is hope that EA will become altruistic all ot a sudden.

"Will EA be smart"
No. I would love to see them ditch Origin and send games back to Steam though.

I'm not a fan of any kind of DRM myself and that includes Steam. That and I don't like the fact that Steam seems to be getting a monopoly on the digital distribution of games. Ever thought about what will happen when Steam bans your account? RPS had a nice article about that a short while ago: Link

Mar 6, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #5 of 10
Steam has had a monopoly on digital distribution to some degree the last 7 years or so. They make it easy to access your games and provide updates so you don't have to update them individually (YAY!). I personally don't care about the biggest problem, no second hand sales, which that guy was banned for. I am completely against them putting off Episode 3 to make more hats.

We can all pretty much agree EA doesn't give one rats ass about its customers. I enjoy BC2 and would like to try BF3 but I don't trust EA to do anything right.

From the Steam bans bin there was a guy on OCN who felt he was unjustly banned from Steam. His story was, he was out of town for a week and let his brother use his computer and his brother played on an illegal server. He told Steam and whoever would hear that he was innocent and wanted his account unlocked. Then someone found a thread he started a few weeks earlier asking where to find hacks. Hilarity ensued.

Mar 6, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #6 of 10
Steam has had a monopoly on digital distribution to some degree the last 7 years or so. They make it easy to access your games and provide updates so you don't have to update them individually (YAY!). I personally don't care about the biggest problem, no second hand sales, which that guy was banned for. I am completely against them putting off Episode 3 to make more hats.

I would agree that Steam does a lot of things right. Their idea of 'piracy is a service problem' seems to be a good one. That's all very neat, but what happens when there is a problem? Well, apparently your account gets banned. Steam could not have known whether or not this guy actually sold these games. And since there is no clear law on the subject the whole thing gets messy. Not just in his case, but pretty much every time.

We can all pretty much agree EA doesn't give one rats ass about its customers.

They don't and won't unless people will stop buying their games. I think it's safe to say that that will not happen any time soon. A lot of gamers will buy ME3 no matter what. I can't even really blame them either because I would like to know how the story ends as well. Smart guys over at EA, you've got to give them that.

I don't think Origin is going anywhere any time soon. I.e.: bend over and take it.

Mar 6, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #7 of 10
I know this much....until EA goes back to Steam...I will NEVER buy another EA game.

Mar 6, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #9 of 10
I don't want to add another DRM rootkit overhead crap to my system.  I don't even want Steam!  But at least Steam is a 3rd party vendor and not EA's attempt at something like a gaming monopoly.

I've stopped buying non-MMO games that require me to log in just to verify ownership and log what I'm doing.  That Dawn of War game that required both Steam AND Microsoft Live was just terribad.  Especially when one of them was offline or patching, keeping me from PLAYING the damned game!

GoG.com is my current source of gamer-drugs.

Mar 6, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
I don't want to add another DRM rootkit overhead crap to my system.  I don't even want Steam!  But at least Steam is a 3rd party vendor and not EA's attempt at something like a gaming monopoly.

I've stopped buying non-MMO games that require me to log in just to verify ownership and log what I'm doing.  That Dawn of War game that required both Steam AND Microsoft Live was just terribad.  Especially when one of them was offline or patching, keeping me from PLAYING the damned game!

GoG.com is my current source of gamer-drugs.

i don't like installing steam on my pc too. wow thanks for the link. looks like a great site!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back