WiiM Streamers Mini and Pro
Apr 27, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #511 of 789
Just with my ears and couldn't hear a difference. I'd wonder about any difference also being due in part to the inputs on the DAC (if not using a legit analyzer of some kind) so you might try a couple different DACs in the testing, too.

Apr 27, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #512 of 789
Just with my ears and couldn't hear a difference. I'd wonder about any difference also being due in part to the inputs on the DAC (if not using a legit analyzer of some kind) so you might try a couple different DACs in the testing, too.
Yeah an cable will matter too. I've always used toslink since I figured that way it is galvanically disconnected.

Apr 29, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #513 of 789
Well at first the difference was crazy. The highs were super hot, not at all what I was used to with either CCA or Argon Solo in the Same DAC. I had to change the maximum output to 192Khz 24 bit on coax (had done so for spdif at set up). It was set at 48khz 16 bit, but is also played cd quality 44.1/16 with exaggerated high frequencies.

Apr 29, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #514 of 789
Well at first the difference was crazy. The highs were super hot, not at all what I was used to with either CCA or Argon Solo in the Same DAC. I had to change the maximum output to 192Khz 24 bit on coax (had done so for spdif at set up). It was set at 48khz 16 bit, but is also played cd quality 44.1/16 with exaggerated high frequencies.
Was the internal EQ being used?

Apr 29, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #516 of 789
Nope that was off. I think it's resampling pretty badly. Sounds better using chromecast instead of the app too.

Do you have it set to pass audio bit perfect through the optical out? So the volume should be set with fixed volume output turned on, the EQ shouldn't be engaged, etc. If you set it that way, it shouldn't be resampling the data at all.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2023 at 6:09 AM Post #517 of 789
It was the bitrate for coaxial not set to 192Khz, 24bit that caused the hot sound. When I changed that it disappeared. But when I don't use the app but use casting instead the sound is even better. More relaxed and less tiring. I guess the wiim will be a glorified CCA for me. I guess the casting protocol is less taxing for the WIIM than it's own streaming solution. I've heard reports of other streamers as well that work better as a Roon endpoint than using their own streaming software.

Apr 30, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #518 of 789
It was the bitrate for coaxial not set to 192Khz, 24bit that caused the hot sound. When I changed that it disappeared. But when I don't use the app but use casting instead the sound is even better. More relaxed and less tiring. I guess the wiim will be a glorified CCA for me. I guess the casting protocol is less taxing for the WIIM than it's own streaming solution. I've heard reports of other streamers as well that work better as a Roon endpoint than using their own streaming software.

I doubt it. When you cast to the WiiM, the WiiM takes over. You can stop the casting app and the playback continues unaltered - well done, actually.

May 3, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #520 of 789
I tried an IFI Elite 5volt power supply on a Wiim Pro. The lights on the Wiim come on but never seems to fully boot as it cant be seen in the App. When I swich back to the cheap wall wort it boots right away. Any thoughts why this would be happening?

I've been researching using meanwell industrial smps's for USB power and came across posts that said most usb powered devices need a handshake from the power supply in order to accept a current, maybe the IFI elite doesn't do that (properly). You could try having the elite power a USB-hub hand have that power the WIIM.

Last edited:
May 6, 2023 at 4:32 AM Post #523 of 789
Not a recommendation, cos I have not received mine yet, but you may want to check out the new budget DAC from SMSL: SMSL SU-1

May 6, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #524 of 789
Which budget DAC (up to 250-300$/€) do you recommend for the Wiim Pro/mini?
This price category is very full of all kinds of DAC's, options and sounds quality, so a couple questions answered will greatly help narrow down which DAC's could be best for you.
1) Do you need a DAC with a volume preamp or just a DAC? Remote?
2) Do you need XLR balanced output to your preamp or amp?
3) We know you'll be streaming but what are highest Res and type of files you'll be playing?
4) What kind of sound characteristics in your DAC are you looking for?

Narrowing down your requirements will greatly help trying to recommend a couple of good DAC's for you, In that price range, you can't have everything and there will be a give and take on performance and features.

Here is one inexpensive option, a SMSL DAC in the Head-Fi Classifieds being sold in EU:
https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/lowered-price-s-m-s-l-dac-do100.44629/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back