Why No Love for Future Sonics Atrios Universal Fit IEMs
Jan 29, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #16 of 25
Interesting Kunlun I was unaware that you did this 
biggrin.gif

On the thread of the topic it is a slightly good question -thread name wise- but the answer is somewhat simple. New things come and old things go not completely out the window but I for one won't be driving a geo when I could get a prius with better technology and such. There's a lot of Atrio like IEMS floating around some are even said better. On the which is best is clearly subjective. 

Jan 30, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #17 of 25

Quote:
Yes and yes, I did.

Well that's just groovy!  So whatcha think, would it be worth the effort/cash for me to sell my v2's and upgrade?

Jan 30, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #18 of 25

Quote:
Interesting Kunlun I was unaware that you did this 
biggrin.gif

On the thread of the topic it is a slightly good question -thread name wise- but the answer is somewhat simple. New things come and old things go not completely out the window but I for one won't be driving a geo when I could get a prius with better technology and such. There's a lot of Atrio like IEMS floating around some are even said better. On the which is best is clearly subjective. 

Ah, but the comparison between earphones and cars doesn't quite work, as I'm sure you know. Of course, some cars are classics. With earphones, there is always a sense of new technology, but according to KwKarth, a senior audio engineer and administrator for head-fi, armature transducer technology hasn't moved forward at all in decades. It's like "hey, there's this awesome computer with more vaccuum tubes and better ways to connect them than before!" The limitations of armatures have never been addressed. Dynamic drivers are another story entirely.
Of course, the human ear hasn't changed much in the last few decades, which is part of why one could compare, say, the shure E500 to a geo and the shure SE535 to a prius, but not so much the ER4P to some newer iem. Same is true with the Atrios, it's evolving but has a sound which will have fans for a long time to come.

Quote:
Quote:
Yes and yes, I did.

Well that's just groovy!  So whatcha think, would it be worth the effort/cash for me to sell my v2's and upgrade?

Hmm, I think the differences in bass punch and improved treble are clear, but not profound. I mean, it's still a Future Sonics Atrios, just with treble extension and prominence increased to bring it more in line and a bass that is less soft and has more punch. I guess for a $100, it's up to you if EQ on your amp isn't doing it, the mg7 might be worth it. If you're pretty happy, though, maybe no need.

The Ear Monitor is the real step up. I think that would be worth it!

Jan 31, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #19 of 25

Quote:

Hmm, I think the differences in bass punch and improved treble are clear, but not profound. I mean, it's still a Future Sonics Atrios, just with treble extension and prominence increased to bring it more in line and a bass that is less soft and has more punch. I guess for a $100, it's up to you if EQ on your amp isn't doing it, the mg7 might be worth it. If you're pretty happy, though, maybe no need.

The Ear Monitor is the real step up. I think that would be worth it!

The ear monitor is also hundreds of dollars more, etc...

Honestly half the reason I don't have customs right now is I don't want to deal with the stigma it generates.  I have a hard enough time justifying owning several different pairs of earphones to those around me, more so when I tell them that actually the cheapest of them has an MSRP of $120.  It won't get any easier when they've been custom molded to my ears and all the rest.  Sooner or later I'll get some, but not yet!

Jan 31, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #20 of 25
i used to have a pair of atrio version 2, only reason i parted with them was i couldn't get a right fit on them over my ears, so i had to wear them low where it was pretty microphonic, which got annoying for me.  also, they weren't as easily driven as my westone um2 and for these reasons i parted with them.
from all the earphones i owned, i still think about the atrio's from time to time, i do miss their sound. As alotta ppl have mentioned, the bass is truly unique on them, i haven't even heard such seducing bass on larger sized headphones, the way they vibrate in ears, the rumbles while still being clear and clean ......... oh man, i'm gonna miss those kick drums.
If they just redesign them to fit me better, i will no doubt buy them again. Atrio will still be my number one reccomendation for bass loving iem

Jan 31, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #22 of 25
I'm not sure why they went with non-replaceable cables, but then again one has to wonder why they haven't updated the design either. The design is one area of genuine criticism. Good thing poor design has nothing to do with poor audio quality. I actually like rocking the ugly phones - it seems to confuse people even more when you tell them how much they cost.

From what I understand (and I've never had this experience), Future Sonics' costumer support is really good. They will replace any messed up cables for what I've heard is a modest fee. I could be wrong though. My Atrios are over 1 1/2 years old, and the cables have held up just fine. People just need to follow simple rules, and their cables will not have problems.

Quote:
I never tried them, but something about iems over $150 without replicable cables doesn't seem logical to me.

Jan 31, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #23 of 25

Quote:
I'm not sure why they went with non-replaceable cables, but then again one has to wonder why they haven't updated the design either. The design is one area of genuine criticism. Good thing poor design has nothing to do with poor audio quality. I actually like rocking the ugly phones - it seems to confuse people even more when you tell them how much they cost.

From what I understand (and I've never had this experience), Future Sonics' costumer support is really good. They will replace any messed up cables for what I've heard is a modest fee. I could be wrong though.  

They have truly excellent customer service.

Jan 31, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #24 of 25

Quote:
i used to have a pair of atrio version 2, only reason i parted with them was i couldn't get a right fit on them over my ears, so i had to wear them low where it was pretty microphonic, which got annoying for me.  also, they weren't as easily driven as my westone um2 and for these reasons i parted with them.
from all the earphones i owned, i still think about the atrio's from time to time, i do miss their sound. As alotta ppl have mentioned, the bass is truly unique on them, i haven't even heard such seducing bass on larger sized headphones, the way they vibrate in ears, the rumbles while still being clear and clean ......... oh man, i'm gonna miss those kick drums.
If they just redesign them to fit me better, i will no doubt buy them again. Atrio will still be my number one reccomendation for bass loving iem

I also have fit issues, so I tried out a bunch of different tips to see if I could get them to be more comfortable and sound better, which I just posted here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/536912/review-future-sonics-atrios-comparison-between-different-tips#post_7239368

Quote:

They have truly excellent customer service.

I second this.  I had minor damage to the strain relief on my v1 Atrios (back when they had the memory wires) and they replaced them no problem, only requiring I produce a receipt to show I was inside of warranty period.  I bet they would have replaced them even without that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back