Why is PS3 still ridiculously priced?
Feb 26, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #46 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
came to know i can also connect mouse for First-person games....

But it can only be used in games that have mouse hardware support. Most don't.

Feb 26, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #47 of 208
i have neither, but i would only buy the xbox

1, i cant use playstations default controllers
2, blu ray is wasted on me, i cant seem to watch hd dvd so i figure blu ray is the same, [plus far too expensive]
3, dont really get on with sony products in general, laptops are way overpriced

neither fit my requirements, ideally id want the media capabilities of the ps3, the games/controllers/price of the xbox with no bluray

Feb 26, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #48 of 208
I think Sony made a mistake keeping their prices high, even if they would be taking losses. Every PS3 sold increases the base for both PS3 games and Blu-Ray, which they have high stake in. Microsoft basically bought their market share this way with the first Xbox - it brought a good DVD player into the home, played video games, but they were losing hundreds per unit.

As far as waiting for a drop in price, that hasn't ever affected me as much. I normally find that the marginal benefit of buying something when I first want it is high enough that it isn't worth waiting on speculative drops in price.

That said, I first bought a x360. I think it had and still has the best games of the three, and it replaced my older DVD player. The ability to stream netflix is nice, and I've used it for a while, but I prefer the quality of physical media over the convenience of "on-demand" - I like blockbuster's service as I have no problem driving 1 mile to get a new movie. Eventually I bought a blu-ray player. The PS3 is normally ranked one of the best, but it doesn't have some features like 7.1 analog outputs. The lack of wifi on my blu-ray or x360 never bothered me, since I use a cheap dd-wrt modded router anyway. Recently I just bought a Wii for the casual gaming and Mario/Zelda titles. Other than the Metal Gear Solid and Gran Turismo games, the PS3 doesn't have much that I'm missing out on

Feb 26, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #49 of 208
It's so overpriced because Sony is THAT arrogant.
I seriously don't get why people want that big black BBQ looking thing..
I mean, the developers can't even get half decent preformance out of it, since even Sony doesn't fully understand their Cell processor, how the hell are those developers supposed to create games that actually use the potential of that chip with that half-wit overly-complicated SDK?
Next to that, just a few months before it's release Sony, in all it's panic, called Nvidia for help on the GPU (they were dumb/arrogant enough to think that they could let their Cell processor take care of that part. NOT). No wonder it doesn't look that good! It's just a souped up 7900GTS.

Microsoft was smart enough to work together with IBM and ATI from the very start, resulting in a better console. Sony could learn from that
wink.gif

Feb 26, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #50 of 208
Quote:

I seriously don't get why people want that big black BBQ looking thing..

Quote:

I mean, the developers can't even get half decent preformance out of it

Metal Gear Solid 4, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, God of War 3, Uncharted, Yakuza 3, et al

The 360 does arguably have a better library, but to think that the PS3 doesn't have any decent exclusives or have comparable graphical quality/performance is ignorant. The PS3 definitely surpasses the 360 on build quality, even MS owners know that. (The newly released jaspers are still having problems) As for price, the 360 wasn't that inexpensive until recently, and the cheapest version doesn't come with an HDD I believe.

Feb 26, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #51 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Metal Gear Solid 4, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, God of War 3, Uncharted, Yakuza 3, et al

The 360 does arguably have a better library, but to think that the PS3 doesn't have any decent exclusives or have comparable graphical quality/performance is ignorant. The PS3 definitely surpasses the 360 on build quality, even MS owners know that. (The newly released jaspers are still having problems) As for price, the 360 wasn't that inexpensive until recently, and the cheapest version doesn't come with an HDD I believe.

I hadn't heard that about the new version of the x360 before I saw you write it. I could understand the problem at first, but now it is getting ridiculous.

I had to send my first (original) x360 in after having it a couple years, thankfully they got it back to me quickly and I haven't had any more problems.

The cheapest 360 does not come with a hard drive, but they are offering the upgrade kits (or have been) for VERY cheap. The PS3 price problem is that it has always been significantly more expensive than the x360, even if the PS3 had more features.

Feb 26, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #52 of 208
Seriously guys. Craigslist. Unlike the crapbox 360, you don't have to worry about things failing all the time. Scoop one up used for cheap. I nailed a 20 gig PS3 for only $200, and that was about 11 months ago.

Feb 26, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #53 of 208
when both were expensive i think people would have picked thier favourite, now, with the peoples money worries etc, and the VAST price difference, i think many more people will go for the 'only viable option'

Feb 26, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #54 of 208
Except you are ignoring picking up a used ps3. They don't have RROD's, they don't have issues. Buy one off craigslist. I've bought two. both worked fine.

Feb 26, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #56 of 208
It should be noted that due to problems, Microsoft extended the x360 warranty to 3 years (the PS3 is one year)

Feb 26, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #57 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by zachary80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It should be noted that due to problems, Microsoft extended the x360 warranty to 3 years (the PS3 is one year)

Only for RROD issues is the warranty 3 years. For video/freeze/DVD drive failure that is only a 1 year. GOOD NEWS. Call Xbox Support and you can buy a 2 or 3 year EXTENDED warranty that covers EVERYTHING for like 30-40 bux through MS.

PS3 has less failure rate but no extended warrenty and BALLS for customer service. With that I just got a Ps3 for a KILLER price and waiting for it in the mail now.

Feb 26, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #58 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Except you are ignoring picking up a used ps3. They don't have RROD's, they don't have issues. Buy one off craigslist. I've bought two. both worked fine.

Yeah, great for you. At least MS extended the service for RROD's to three, yes, three years. They admitted their fault.

On the other hand, Sony is keeping their mouths suspiciously quiet about the burning-out lasers in the PS3's after about 1,5 year of casual use. I wonder why that is.

If you get a RROD with a secondhand X360, too bad for you. That's why you should buy it first hand, so you still have customer service.

Feb 26, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #60 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3 year warranty?

thats a pretty impressive warranty

for RROD only. It is sweet but out of the 4 xbox's ive had in the past 2 years 3 had failure of DVD Drive 1 has had RROD.

but their warranty claims are easy and painless and they even send you a box! and give you 1 month free xbox live for the time your box is gone. If gone long enough they give you a free game is you piss and moan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back