Why is PS3 still ridiculously priced?
May 10, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #196 of 208
The Wii shouldn't even be mentioned with the PS3/360. It's not a 'next gen' console in the power, technical sense.. Still no DD 5.1. Online games are still lacking.. The Wii is great for the casual crowd, and those 'intimidated' by gaming machines... These are geared towards 'kids', as M rated games on the Wii sell poorly. On a marketing stand point, Nintendo hit the ball out of the park. The Wii is much more profitable then the PS3/360. I do admire Nintendo for making a console that is first and formost a gaming machine. MS/Sony what their machines to be a multi media hub, and to be the center piece of your HT system.. I mean.. A swiss army knife. This turns off the majority of people who are not tech savy, and just want to play a game, and be as user friendly as possible. A lot of people don't know the difference between DD 5.1 and 1080p.. And to be honest, don't care.. The Wii is made for this large segment of the population.

May 10, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #197 of 208
Valkyria Chronicles and Wipeout HD: reason enough for a PS3
biggrin.gif
. Once my exam is over, I will snag VC, I rented it once, and it's just brilliant. So good that even someone like me who is completely useless at strategy RPGs can enjoy it.

May 10, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #198 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Valkyria Chronicles and Wipeout HD: reason enough for a PS3
biggrin.gif
. Once my exam is over, I will snag VC, I rented it once, and it's just brilliant. So good that even someone like me who is completely useless at strategy RPGs can enjoy it.

There is an anime series of it that started recently if you like the game. So far I think the anime is as far as Chapter 3 in the game (or the forest level with 2 tanks and 3 bases).

Though the battle scenes aren't as full fulling as playing the game, but the story is there. (Talking about the anime)

May 10, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #199 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Wii shouldn't even be mentioned with the PS3/360. It's not a 'next gen' console in the power, technical sense..

In the technical sense? How so? Sony's pitiful motion sensing compared to Wii's brilliance here (and their recent upgrade just obliterates everything else) or the lack of Xbox's completely? Gfx isn't everything. I have a computer that can power a small country. If I want gfx, the PS3 and the XBOX are shamed. Completely shamed. They were shamed the second they hit the market. Is it fair to compare? Yes it is because on tech specs alone, we can all whip it out and put it on the table and claim whose is faster. But you know what? There was no innovation from Sony or MS. More horsepower that was it. Nintendo turned the gaming industry on its head and there is no more realistic FPS experience than with the Wiimote. This is why RE4 is so highly regarded, the Wii version above all others, because that game got it right, it felt right and that was during Gears and Halo. RE4 was ranked above those because it was simply stellar gaming experience even though the gfx were already dated when they hit the Wii.

The future is going to be a combination of Wiimote tech + horsepower. The horsepower part was a breeze, any off the shelf parts and a pimply tween can throw a box together. Nintendo pushed the boundaries.

Quote:

Still no DD 5.1. Online games are still lacking.. The Wii is great for the casual crowd, and those 'intimidated' by gaming machines... These are geared towards 'kids', as M rated games on the Wii sell poorly.

Yes you got that right. But you also left out hardcore gamers, and by that I mean real hardcore gamers (and you should fall in that place because you are even older than I) but not the FPS squads. Those folks aren't hardcore, they are one trick ponies. Real hardcore gamers want to be challenged with new experiences in the interface. HCI is as important blood and gore and realism. The Wii was marketed towards EVERYONE instead of targeting 12-24 year old boys.

And you know what? They won. They destroyed everyone and you know what else? All that money gets pumped into the next system which will likely be more powerful than what PS4 or Xbox 720 can muster. Why? Because the loss leading can't happen forever so the best they will do is attempt to copy what Nintendo did with the Wii and won't be able to push forward with even better tech.

I have the PS3 games, I have the PC games and I have the Wii games. I go for it all from VERY kid friendly to over-the-top adult gore. Again, even though the graphics on the PS3 (or ever better, on the PC) are more realistic, they aren't always more beautiful. The teams for Nintendo and the like are using lighting and imagination in ways that game companies developing for the Xbox and PS3 are appear to be stuck in the dark ages. Sure, rendering to be more life-like is cool and all, but when everyone else is doing it, it is boring, it isn't exciting in the least and it sure isn't innovation, it is merely typical Moore's law being applied.

What the Wii did was open up the world of gaming to everyone, so your point below stands well. From anyone looking in, Nintendo did well. They made a mint and became the RICHEST COMPANY IN JAPAN! Damn. Yeah, all with a single product.

Quote:

On a marketing stand point, Nintendo hit the ball out of the park. The Wii is much more profitable then the PS3/360. I do admire Nintendo for making a console that is first and formost a gaming machine. MS/Sony what their machines to be a multi media hub, and to be the center piece of your HT system.. I mean.. A swiss army knife. This turns off the majority of people who are not tech savy, and just want to play a game, and be as user friendly as possible.

Or want to save money without paying for add-ons, kinda like what this thread is about. So many didn't want to pay the premiums of the PS3 because they just wanted to game, so they went with an Xbox if those games tickled their fancy. For Nintendo, they went one step further, reinvented the gaming experience itself and figured, we'll catch up on graphics later. Best move they could have made. Sony meanwhile is nearly bankrupt.

Quote:

A lot of people don't know the difference between DD 5.1 and 1080p.. And to be honest, don't care.. The Wii is made for this large segment of the population.

No. The Wii is not MADE for this segment. I care about those things too for instance, but I don't have a HD tv yet, so all the goodies are lost on me. Still, the PS3 means that once I get one, I enjoy my games in the best way possible. DD 5.1 would have been nice with the Wii, true, but how many have a 5.1 system? Not as many as one would think and many won't have the gaming box hooked up to it but will reserve that as the family tv/movie setup and junior with his video game fetish is stuck in a second room, usually the bedroom these days on a smaller tv with no 5.1.

For me, I have a 30" computer monitor that shames all HD tvs and if I was lusting after the goodies that much I could hook the PS3 it up to that. Frankly, bling died on me when I hit 13. If the game is clunky, if the story is abysmal, I get irritated. I'll forgo the last bit of flash for a game that is immersible. So will the true hardcore gamers who look to Mega Man 9 as one of the best games ever and realize that their 1337 skillz are really going to be challenged here and not with head hunting with some suped up sniper rifle while listening with headphones and watching on the 60" HD.

I'm not trying to crap on people who enjoy that style of gaming but it is a single form and it is very limited and repetitive. For folks like me who have been at it since Pong, revisiting old systems can be far more (and often is far more) entertaining than modern games which are just a rehashing of buddy competitor's last year's hit. One game that floored me with originality was Little Big Planet. It has been a LONG time since something so cool hit the shelves. Probably not since Mr. Mario hit the 64.

May 10, 2009 at 10:05 AM Post #200 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by krazyxazn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can't compare RE4 and Halo 3, those two are two completely different games. I honestly hate the Halo series and the Gears of War series.

PS3 exclusives that I found to be good:
Released: Killzone 2, MGS 4, Valkyria Chronicles, LittleBigPlanet, and Resistance 2.
Yet to release: Heavy Rain, Final Fantasy XIII Versus, God of War III, M.A.G., and inFAMOUS.

you can´t compare halo 2 versus halo 3 either they are different games... I am just comparing games on how good they are not how alike they are
smily_headphones1.gif

I don´t hate either HALO or Gears of War series. I like the open level design of the HALO games. I don´t feel as cramped in as in say Killzone 2. You always have rails and you can never jump? I liked HALO 2 better then HALO 3 though. HALO 3 was so uneven and some levels just wasn´t finished and extremely repetititive.

Gears of War I like for the superb audio and it being so intense. But Killzone 2 is even more intense and first person. But Killzone 2 is really Gears of War in first person just with crappier weapons though
frown.gif

As for winner it´s a bit early to declare Nintendo as a winner. PS 3 is outselling Nintendo as of late and who knows when people really make the jump dvd to bluray? History can repeat itself PS 2 wouldn´t be as successful without it´s DVD drive
smily_headphones1.gif

However still controls are hugely important as well. The reason the Wii version of RE 4 is the best is due to the controls really. Nothing is more annoying then controls that aren´t responsive. In general but particularly for racing, shooters where you need to be precise.

It´s amazing to run Mirrors edge on PC or Crysis Warhead but I did really enjoy No More Heroes and as mentioned on my 32" tv I had hard time to see what was on the screen on RE 4: Wii but yet easilly one of the best games I ever played easilly top 20
smily_headphones1.gif

visuals is one of the last things for me really. Sound is quite important though but I have played action games with horrible audio on Xbox 360 and for example metroid Prime 3 which have great score and sound effects even if it´s in stereo
smily_headphones1.gif
. But I do enjoy gaming with headphones and there is always pro logic.

I definiatly see the most potential in the Wii as complement for my PC. The controls have led to many unique experiences even though the wii remote is not what it was supposed to. Hopefully motion plus will really make it usable as intended it´s more the IR tracking that is the deal with it than the motion sensing currently.

Sep 18, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #201 of 208
I don't mean to bring up an old thread, but I think that it's important to look back more than a year after this thread's most recent post and reflect on what happened with gaming industry in the last 15 months.

The tide has definitely turned or is turning for the Playstation 3 offering more for games and versatility.  Posts made back in 2008 and 2009 criticizing SIXAXIS motion capabilities... Solution:  Playstation Move just launched and is fantastic with less than 20ms of lag and extremely accurate.  More exclusive games have made their way into consumers' hands with a very positive response.  Wii's tracking is brilliance?  I think not... early TrackIR motion sensing products, developed for the PC, have much better tracking than a Wii-mote or whatever you want to call their sensor bar system.  The SIXAXIS just uses accelerometers or similar technology - their intention.

Not to mention, the upcoming real life racing simulator series developed by Polyphony Digital is dropping their 5th installment of Gran Turismo coming early November.

Their latest trailer here.

Now I'm not much for bashing, but I am for giving credit where it's due.... To Sony for their new marketing campaigns, exclusive game content, free network support, reliable hardware components, versatility, and 10 year support plan.

"It Does Everything" ?  Well.. maybe not quite, but when it comes to innovation, they outperform their competitors.

Sep 19, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #203 of 208
Same story as always, the hardware is sold at a loss and made up on the software side. You can buy a business Dell machine hardware only for $500-600 but the Office suite to go along with it is $1000...
blink.gif

Sep 19, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #205 of 208
You can find the PS3 for $269 often, what's the problem?  People want the best gaming console hardware w/ an included BluRay player for free?  I think some people need to stick to their Wii.  Now I see.  The resurrection was a rebuttal.  

Sep 19, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #206 of 208
Quote:
The tide has definitely turned or is turning for the Playstation 3 offering more for games and versatility.  Posts made back in 2008 and 2009 criticizing SIXAXIS motion capabilities... Solution:  Playstation Move just launched and is fantastic with less than 20ms of lag and extremely accurate.  More exclusive games have made their way into consumers' hands with a very positive response.  Wii's tracking is brilliance?  I think not... early TrackIR motion sensing products, developed for the PC, have much better tracking than a Wii-mote or whatever you want to call their sensor bar system.  The SIXAXIS just uses accelerometers or similar technology - their intention.

"It Does Everything" ?  Well.. maybe not quite, but when it comes to innovation, they outperform their competitors.

Innovation? Sony? Snort.

The two Sony Playstation initiatives for this year were cribbed directly from products their competitors launched four to five years ago. The Move is functionally equivalent to a Wiimote with a higher resolution sensor and swapped LED/sensor locations. Sure it's more accurate, but it's also four years later. Least it's better than their other initiative, PlayStation Plus, which still remains inferior to the Xbox 360's Live service that launched five years ago. Even worse, the products launched by Sony's competitors this year are far more innovative, with glasses free 3D coming from Nintendo and full body motion tracking coming from Microsoft. Neither device is likely to find favor among "hardcore gamers", but unlike the Move, they'll be the first mainstream consumer land devices to feature those technologies.

Really, the PS3's recent successes come down to developers, developers, developers. The PS3's install base and software sales numbers have finally become large enough to not doom a Western developer's chances of financial success with a PS3 exclusive. That combined with the PS3's edge in Japanese developer support has finally brought the PS3 to a sort of parity with the Xbox 360.

Sep 20, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #208 of 208

Quote:
Close to $600 over here,.

Order online!

Quote:

Innovation? Sony? Snort.

The two Sony Playstation initiatives for this year were cribbed directly from products their competitors launched four to five years ago. The Move is functionally equivalent to a Wiimote with a higher resolution sensor and swapped LED/sensor locations. Sure it's more accurate, but it's also four years later. Least it's better than their other initiative, PlayStation Plus, which still remains inferior to the Xbox 360's Live service that launched five years ago. Even worse, the products launched by Sony's competitors this year are far more innovative, with glasses free 3D coming from Nintendo and full body motion tracking coming from Microsoft. Neither device is likely to find favor among "hardcore gamers", but unlike the Move, they'll be the first mainstream consumer land devices to feature those technologies.

Really, the PS3's recent successes come down to developers, developers, developers. The PS3's install base and software sales numbers have finally become large enough to not doom a Western developer's chances of financial success with a PS3 exclusive. That combined with the PS3's edge in Japanese developer support has finally brought the PS3 to a sort of parity with the Xbox 360.

Anyone recall the year where Sony's CEO laughed at Nintendo for releasing a "lollipop" (in regards to the Wii Remote)?

Nintendo kind of blew both the entire gaming community and television community with the 3DS-- just sort of a double whammy for Sony being that they're in both markets. I'm thinking that Kinect will do better in the long run, especially after they have their first price drop, but initially, I'm suspecting that the Move will sell better. In the case of the Kinect, it's not really something brand new either-- they took the technology of the Playstation Eye and improved on it, similar to what Sony has done with the Move vs. the Wii. Facial capture and body capture were introduced on the PS2 and then carried over to the PS3. As much as I like the Playstation products, I agree that they need to bring in something new that people haven't seen before in order to keep up with Nintendo in particular.

I guess Sony and Microsoft are both going on the logic of "Let's give people more of what they already love" while Nintendo seems to being going on the premise of "Let's give people something new to love."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back