Why does my USB audio not work after restarting from sleep mode
Jun 13, 2020 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

MikeJSmith

Head-Fier
Hi All,

I have Chord Hugo 2 hooked up by USB to my Windows 10 PC. All works very well, until I wake the computer from sleep, after which there is no audio unless I either turn off / on the Hugo or disable / enable it in the sound settings.

This happens regardless of what I am listening to - Groove Music, Amazon Music, Youtube, other music players etc.

Sometimes the software will just hang, but more often than not it continues playing but no sound comes out. If I go into the sound settings the volume bar goes up and down, so the computer thinks it is outputting sound.

I posted in the Hugo 2 thread but got nowhere. Any ideas here? I've tried reinstalling drivers with no luck.

Cheers! Mike

Jun 16, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #2 of 9
There have been driver issues in Windows when waking the computer from sleep. This has been the case since at least XP. Graphics and audio are the primary ones affected. In other instances, so have ethernet, wireless and printer drivers. I always disable sleep mode on my computer. I turn it on when when I want to use it and turn it off when I’m not using it. I’m not sure there is any sort of work around or fix that can be done.

Jun 16, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #3 of 9
There have been driver issues in Windows when waking the computer from sleep. This has been the case since at least XP. Graphics and audio are the primary ones affected. In other instances, so have ethernet, wireless and printer drivers. I always disable sleep mode on my computer. I turn it on when when I want to use it and turn it off when I’m not using it. I’m not sure there is any sort of work around or fix that can be done.

Thanks for replying. It would be more annoying to turn off every time I think, maybe I’ll just have to live with it for now.

Jun 16, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #4 of 9
You can check for the USB Suspend settings inside the Power Management for your PC. Turn it off and try again.

Jun 16, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #5 of 9
You can check for the USB Suspend settings inside the Power Management for your PC. Turn it off and try again.

Yeah, disable everything possible in power management. It's crap designed to save laptop batteries which nobody who actually uses their PC for anything could ever find helpful.

Look for all the settings, not just USB but network, disks, CPU, everything. I also disable hibernation and sleep. First thing I do on a new Windows box after uninstalling all the bloatware/spyware.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #6 of 9
Give this a try:

Click start menu. go into the run command.
Type "services.msc" without the quotes
Scroll down to windows audio. right click and highlight properties.
Go to the recover tab and click the panels always have it set to restart the service.

Now when it recovers it should restart your services / drivers.

Jun 16, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #7 of 9
Yeah, disable everything possible in power management. It's crap designed to save laptop batteries which nobody who actually uses their PC for anything could ever find helpful.

Look for all the settings, not just USB but network, disks, CPU, everything. I also disable hibernation and sleep. First thing I do on a new Windows box after uninstalling all the bloatware/spyware.
Give this a try:

Click start menu. go into the run command.
Type "services.msc" without the quotes
Scroll down to windows audio. right click and highlight properties.
Go to the recover tab and click the panels always have it set to restart the service.

Now when it recovers it should restart your services / drivers.

Thanks all for the suggestions, but they've not made any difference :sob:

Actually, one difference seems to be that just by selecting another playback device (HDMI audio) from the toolbar and then reselecting the Hugo, the audio works again. This wasn't happening before so at least that's something and it's easier to fix!

Jun 17, 2020 at 3:34 AM Post #8 of 9
Troubleshooting Windows is like herding cats. Nothing is ever resolved definitively and nothing is completely understood. It just gets worked-around.

Jun 28, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #9 of 9
Sometimes certain motherboards can cause usb devices to act funny when the computer goes to sleep i would check the bios and see if there is any usb settings in the bios cause that can definatly cause things like that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back